• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, yeah, I got hit by a snowboarding kid around maybe 10 or 12 on my first run which knocked me over hard. In front of 5 mountain hosts who did nothing until after the kid rode off before I was even up and was already moving. One of them finally asked if I was okay. My shoulder hurt at first but that seems fine now. I was feeling some symptoms of whiplash as I drove home but it doesn't feel bad now. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Yikes, this sucks. I wonder why they waited so long to see if you were ok? Hope you are doing better now.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
That looks steep AF, and if it looks steep in a photo, it must be crazy steep :eek::eek::eek:
Umm it's CB so of course it's steep. Have you not been to CB before? :huh:There's more steep af at CB than at all the other epic front range resorts combined.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s Crested Butte from today. My two oldest are skiing there today. Got #2 sold on going to Western next year for school. This should keep him on track.
a21a6cb7-a795-4f0c-abdf-d6185e259b31-jpeg.63396
Congrats! I've always thought the shorter season at CB and easy drive would be great for the academics for a skier.

Sorry about your Epic mess of a pass situation, though, especially with likely A-basin change. I was just bumming about no free days at CB this year. :(

CB window tickets are $120 and online are $108. I'm a little surprised VR hasn't jacked them more, thankfully.
That looks steep AF, and if it looks steep in a photo, it must be crazy steep :eek::eek::eek:

I've always thought it's called "Last Steep" for more than one reason. I saw a woman rag doll down the whole thing in firm conditions the first time I skied CB when I was in college. She wasn't moving at the bottom. We went to get patrol and never found out if she was OK.

And that's the easy way down there. Sock-It-To-Me next door is much sketchier.

Here's a little POV tour of The North Face with Last Steep starting about 2:15.

Notice I chickened out launching off the knoll with the little trees at the end and went around. I'd like to think I'm getting smarter with age. Always check your landings to avoid the ER and future dental expenses. @nay get your kids a mouth guard and tell them it could buy them a new car someday!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Congrats! I've always thought the shorter season at CB and easy drive would be great for the academics for a skier.

Sorry about your Epic mess of a pass situation, though, especially with likely A-basin change. I was just bumming about no free days at CB this year. :(

CB window tickets are $120 and online are $108. I'm a little surprised VR hasn't jacked them more, thankfully.

I've always thought it's called "Last Steep" for more than one reason. I saw a woman rag doll down the whole thing in firm conditions the first time I skied CB when I was in college. She wasn't moving at the bottom. We went to get patrol and never found out if she was OK.

Notice I chickened out launching off the knoll with the little trees at the end and went around. I'd like to think I'm getting smarter with age. Always check your landings to avoid the ER and future dental expenses. @nay get your kids a mouth guard and tell them it could buy them a new car someday!

PoV video never does justice for the actual steepness of a line. Some of those trees near the end were tight AF. ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes, this sucks. I wonder why they waited so long to see if you were ok? Hope you are doing better now.

I have no idea and will be sending an email.

I was diagnosed with a concussion and whiplash today so no work or school for the next 3 days.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Umm it's CB so of course it's steep. Have you not been to CB before? :huh:There's more steep af at CB than at all the other epic front range resorts combined.

Never been during the winter. Definitely gotta go.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
CoSkiGirl. If you had a cuncussion don't do any driving till you head is ok. Speaking from experience, SG crash, drive home, roll truck after blacked out, month in hospital, ll months off work.

Don't risk it, you may feel well, .........but............ Wait/rest/wait some more.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

You see how the Epic hordes have ruined CB in the pic I posted :roflmao:.

Western and CB have a long collaboration. As of this season, a student could still get a $400 season pass through their student account. That is something Vail could screw up, but hopefully they are more sensitive to the realities of Gunnison Valley economics and relationships.

I’m not buying an Epic Pass still skiing off the Front Range. It would get little to no use if it was free (my costs are half skiing at Loveland), but I’ll have to see how much I ski CB, especially since I have 3 Powder Alliance days at Monarch off my Loveland pass. It’s realistically a day a season timed to a visit and storm cycle.

But I’m jealous. They run 23 free shuttle buses a day right off the campus with last one coming back at 10. You could easily set your schedule to ski more days than not. All I did in college was party :eek:.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
CoSkiGirl. If you had a cuncussion don't do any driving till you head is ok. Speaking from experience, SG crash, drive home, roll truck after blacked out, month in hospital, ll months off work.

Don't risk it, you may feel well, .........but............ Wait/rest/wait some more.

That sucks!

Fortunately, we think it’s a fairly mild concussion. Because I didn’t realize I had one I drove home from Copper, drove to do errands yesterday, and to work then urgent care, pharmacy, and home this morning without issue. However, my plan is no driving until Wednesday or Thursday at this point. Lots of local friends have offered help if I need it but I should be good until my Thursday morning doctor appointment.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
DUMPING here in town now, 29º, front range is getting it.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@nay that's amazing about the busses from Western to CB. Sure beats taking RTD to Eldora! :doh:

I didn't realize Western State rebranded to Western Colorado University. Good for them, great name.

They also got an $80M gift to build a new School of Computer Science and Engineering:
https://www.western.edu/paul-m-rady-school-computer-science-engineering

Wow, that's a huge deal for the school and the valley, and a great opportunity for the students. Nice to see for my field since there are not enough CS grads to go around.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no idea and will be sending an email.

I was diagnosed with a concussion and whiplash today so no work or school for the next 3 days.
So sorry to hear about your injuries from being hit!

I think Copper has a big opportunity to focus on safety as a differentiator. It plays perfectly with the naturally divided mountain in both messaging and in practice.

Were they mountain hosts in green jackets or safety patrol in red jackets? (No cross, so not ski patrol) I usually see green jackets gathered there to give the free tours, and wonder if they are trained in safety or what to do in those circumstances.

I don't recall seeing the red jacket safety patrol there. They are needed there and countless more congested spots.

That would be the perfect place for some automated or semi-automated slow zone enforcement. At least record video and allow you to report the incident and force the kid to take a safety class before his pass works again. And, allow you to get his name with a court order if needed for legal proceedings.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think Copper has a big opportunity to focus on safety as a differentiator. It plays perfectly with the naturally divided mountain in both messaging and in practice.

Were they mountain hosts in green jackets or safety patrol in red jackets? (No cross, so not ski patrol) I usually see green jackets gathered there to give the free tours, and wonder if they are trained in safety or what to do in those circumstances.

I don't recall seeing the red jacket safety patrol there. They are needed there and countless more congested spots.

That would be the perfect place for some automated or semi-automated slow zone enforcement. At least record video and allow you to report the incident and force the kid to take a safety class before his pass works again. And, allow you to get his name with a court order if needed for legal proceedings.

It was the green jacket hosts. I wouldn’t expect them to do anything more than ask all parties stay until patrol can get there. I was still getting up and trying to decide how to handle the fact that it was a minor with no parent nearby when he left. It would have been difficult to ask the minor for contact info without causing alarm as a random member of the public but a uniformed person, whether volunteer or paid, would have held more weight. Not just for court proceeding (unlikely that I would do that) but to teach the kid that hitting someone can cause more injury than you realize immediately.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Wasn't it "Safety Weekend" or whatever it's called? :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online