• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
a couple of @aveski from yesterday., He rocked it. I wish I could load vid's from my iPhone. we have a couple of really deep ones. anyone know how to pull stills from a video? the last one is him in some flat but fun pow. Its actually a good reference to how deep it was. note the snow line on the second picture on his thighs

fullsizeoutput_95b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_95a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_95c.jpeg

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Reactions: Ron

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
a couple of @aveski from yesterday., He rocked it. I wish I could load vid's from my iPhone. we have a couple of really deep ones. anyone know how to pull stills from a video? the last one is him in some flat but fun pow. Its actually a good reference to how deep it was. note the snow line on the second picture on his thighs

Your videos should be up in your icloud account (if you have your videos sync'd). From there you can download them onto a PC or Mac. You could also directly import them into YouTube or Vimeo.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Good day indeed but I encountered the worst whiteout conditions I've ever had while skiing. I mistakenly stayed on chair 4 to the top thinking I'd ski the ridge down towards 9 and back to 4 but I couldn't see a foot in front of me and couldn't often tell whether I was stopped or still moving. I own a flight school and spend a lot of time flying/training in clouds but have never been as disoriented as I was a few times today. Still fun and tomorrow should be good as well as the blowing snow refilled the tracks about every other run.

It’s most fun when you make that mistake on 9 and can’t even see the cat track. 10/10 recommend for the memories.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
It’s most fun when you make that mistake on 9 and can’t even see the cat track. 10/10 recommend for the memories.

Yes, I had that experience last year after a cat ride. It was rough but at least there were 2 other skiers in the cat so we took turns blazing the trail. In spite of that one run yesterday it was a great day. Today, not so much as it was quite a bit windier and the 5" reported wasn't even 5cm in reality. I thought it was BS when I saw it on the website and almost bailed due to the wind ripping thru G-town but I thought hey, 5" is nothing to scoff at. In the protected trees where the wind couldn't blow it to Kansas, there was maybe 5cm so not sure who took the measurement this morning. Oh well, it still beats work!

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That 5” (24 hours, it was 2” on the stake). My tracks and the boy. Tasty.

3C848E0D-8BD5-433C-AF23-5DE1AD2E1D0B.png

But definitely a lot of wind motion and it was finding aspects.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
275957BD-85D5-4A79-837A-A1D104B5C575.jpeg A73E8D67-B15A-4D34-85E6-AF3E288DEEB9.jpeg F55A1E07-5E87-4DF9-AEEF-97DC6FF45C18.jpeg 873FD574-C714-4C8C-8478-3AE1408ABE5B.jpeg 00464A86-EDFC-456D-AC40-9364856E6E8C.jpeg Yet another boot to knee deep day skiing with @Aviski @mishka Today miskas goal was to ski in a foot of powder. We easily doubled that today. Super fun and deep day. Low mtn traffic made fresh lines possible all day. The pic of mishka was literally on the last 100 yards skiing out after not falling all day. That’s exactly how he landed. And, a fine mustache-sickle

I got on Miska's famous. “Mad Russian" 102’s and they were a blast, surfy and solid. A lot of fun.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I skied on my own today in the 5" that brought the Breck 5 day total to 18". The snow was wind compacted and a very easy to ski consistency. It felt a lot like the resistance you get from the water when water skiing.

My first 3 runs were among the best 10 runs I've had, ever.
:bestday:
More runs on T-bar yielded more terrific fresh snow. There was virtually no wind crust which was remarkable given the amount of wind. Free refills. Horseshoe, right down the middle, was wonderful 3D snow until near the bottom where the rough underneath became evident on occasion. I had 4 runs in Porcupine with no other tracks than my own.

I finally skied passed T-Bar and loaded Zendo and Kensho. Wonderland trees were pretty fantastic and barely touched. Bliss face was easy to ski at speed and enjoy the totally inviting 3Dness of the snow. Trees off Delerium were apparently invisible because I saw no tracks near me for many runs.

I did some tree laps until T-Bar loaded. The lines were outrageous.

IMG_20190125_095914807.jpg
It was ski on for a while then no more than 3 minutes then back to ski on.

IMG_20190125_122740526_BURST003.jpg
In a wind break on Ptarmigan.

IMG_20190125_125018334_BURST003.jpg
Six Senses, Beyond, Imperial, Lake Chutes and Peak 7 were never opened.

IMG_20190125_125027164_BURST001.jpg
Baldy, Boreas, Red Mts.

IMG_20190125_131556256_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Peak 6, young man.

The hike to terrain as well as Imperial never opened. Tomorrow will require strategic precision.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I am not quite sure if we could match the epicness of @Doug Briggs day at Breck. But we had a darn good day ourselves. Started off on Peak 10, and the snow conditions were probably the best we have skied this year. As the clouds departed and the sun started to come out we made our way across the mountain. We enjoyed the bumps on Mach 1, with all the recent snow making conditions most forgiving. Peak 7 conditions were nice, but the lift lines were nutty as usual (EpicMix was way off posting a 0 minute wait!). By the time we got to Peak 6 conditions were still good, if windy, and Reverie was windblown and a bit scraped up top. IMG_6353.jpg
Coming down Mach 1
IMG_6355.jpg
Nice day if you were standing in line at the bottom of Peak 7

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The snow was wind compacted and a very easy to ski consistency. It felt a lot like the resistance you get from the water when water skiing.

My first 3 runs were among the best 10 runs I've had, ever.
:bestday:

The consistency in spots was amazing, I like the water skiing analogy, it was a perfect buoyant compaction without crust. Pick your turn shape and surf.

F7B8E9C9-0557-41F6-AD22-0EE8508C8E35.jpeg

This pic looks like I photoshopped my skis into it.

5D762AAE-EC5E-40C0-9FF4-376D4081277A.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Had a great time skiing Breck today - Peak 10 and E chair. Did one ride up Chair 6, but what I found there, while fine, didn't seem worth the brutal ride when there's so much great stuff off E Chair. Probably my favorite snow was in Charlie's Trees and in the Windows, but there was lots of fine skiing in many places. And what is it with steep runs looking so mellow in photos??

20190126_140407.jpg

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
First day of the season (afternoon actually) for Michel & I at Breckenridge. 17hr travel day yesterday (4hrs DIA to Beaver Run with no wrecks and excellent roads less Loveland Pass) negated any attempt at an early start.

Snow was excellent on the little bit of off piste I did as I hung with Michel all day. Mucho windy but fine once you got off the lift. They closed a good chunk of the upper mountain lifts at some point. Maybe a few inches tonight with more wind for the next day or two.

Michel excited to try Peak 7 tomorrow as she has never been over there and the terrain suits her. I think she'll be ready for Peak 10 groomers by Tue of Wedogsmile

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
One of those days that makes you fall in love with Colorado.

Skied my brains out from 8:30-12:30 at Loveland. Wind was magic overnight. Smoothed out bumps on lift 1 so you could fly down them. Created fun wind lips all over Ptarmigin, 4 and 8. And the Ridge was windloaded and soft all over. A great day of pushing myself and skiing as hard as the body can stand.

Then an hour drive home. And a bike ride in 50+ degree whether to a few local breweries for a friends bday.

Magical place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor