• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
You guys (and gals) crack me up. If you want good skiing on June 29th jump a plane to the southern hemisphere or be happy with what's there. It ain't about the "skiing" at this point, it's about the "experience".

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For such a wet season I’d imagine everybody is on for this year.

Vail is on the 4th.

Nope. No one in Summit County is going to hold fireworks display. Lots of moisture creates lots of fuel and around these parts the fuel dries quickly so wet <> safe for fireworks.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Nope. No one in Summit County is going to hold fireworks display. Lots of moisture creates lots of fuel and around these parts the fuel dries quickly so wet <> safe for fireworks.

Huh. Can’t do them because it’s too dry and can’t do them because it’s too wet sounds like we’re close to a permanent ban by a different name. Not that it doesn’t make sense:

Vail is still on according to their website.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Yep. Lots of TALL grass everywhere.

Huh. Can’t do them because it’s too dry and can’t do them because it’s too wet sounds like we’re close to a permanent ban by a different name. Not that it doesn’t make sense:

Vail uses special non-flamable fire works :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Still really nice conditions. The 4th should be interesting :ogcool:.

Back to where we started with WROD. Even Al said to avoid High Noon and use it just for leaving the ski area. Lapping that run would be like playing Russian roulette :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

It's not that it's too wet but that wet creates fuel although I understand the point you are making.

The cost of a fireworks exhibition is huge and given that you have to plan for and purchase them months (or more?) in advance, the conditions for the event are impossible to predict. I would rather have the Town of Breckenridge spend tax dollars on trails and permanent improvements than fireworks. As it is we have the Firecracker 50, a foot race, a parade and an NRO concert along with an art festival all on the Fourth.

I grew up with fireworks and enjoy them, but with all the other options for drawing crowds to our community, fireworks is low on my list of priorities. What concerns me the most is that without the public displays we'll likely have more 'private' displays which are intrinsically much more dangerous.

As for the skiing, it is still going strong at the Basin and in the BC. 4th of July Bowl is pretty full although there are 4 fairly large slides that kicked off yesterday or the day before which will negatively affect the skiing. And the conditions are a bit too good as the ski area has put up a specific road closure on Peak 9, the vehicle access route to the bowl. I expect that it will be a bit subdued up there this year with a lot fewer people willing to walk the extra miles and posthole through the snow on the road. I'll probably be over on Boreas Pass for my turns on the 4th. Not much beats road side skiing, grilling and chilling.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Back to where we started with WROD. Even Al said to avoid High Noon and use it just for leaving the ski area. Lapping that run would be like playing Russian roulette :roflmao:

Not even close to WROD. There were 5 runs and off piste open this weekend, everything is full width except for two choke points down to BML and upper High Noon to Lower High Noon. Al always requests that people use High Noon for egress only, because it bumps up too much otherwise and then people who shouldn’t be out there struggle.

As far as it being dangerous, not really ogsmile. Was worth lapping at end of day when it was just piles of deep slush. That stuff is so much fun.

B37353DF-5D3F-403F-AB65-77FBDF9C2249.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's not that it's too wet but that wet creates fuel although I understand the point you are making.

The cost of a fireworks exhibition is huge and given that you have to plan for and purchase them months (or more?) in advance, the conditions for the event are impossible to predict. I would rather have the Town of Breckenridge spend tax dollars on trails and permanent improvements than fireworks. As it is we have the Firecracker 50, a foot race, a parade and an NRO concert along with an art festival all on the Fourth.

Grasses are difficult. They don’t burn just because they are tall, but they are considered 24 hour fuels in wildfire terminology in that they can dry out and become fire ready in 24 hours, although I’d bet that is longer in Summit Co than in the foothills and on the plains with hot downslope winds and humidities that can drop below 5%.

Vail still says “weather permitting”. It’s hard to see how they set off a wildfire over Golden Peak groomers. There’s still a bunch of snow sitting there.

But yea, it’s super expensive and it only goes off that day weather permitting.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Not even close to WROD. There were 5 runs and off piste open this weekend, everything is full width except for two choke points down to BML and upper High Noon to Lower High Noon. Al always requests that people use High Noon for egress only, because it bumps up too much otherwise and then people who shouldn’t be out there struggle.

As far as it being dangerous, not really ogsmile. Was worth lapping at end of day when it was just piles of deep slush. That stuff is so much fun.

View attachment 76625

Yeah

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 12.29.04 PM.png

Hopefully next season the shitshow at A-Basin stops... during the past 2 years it has been too crazy I have generally avoided the place except on a few select days...

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hoping to head up early to theBasin Thursday. Nervous it will be a huge s-show even at 8:30 but going to give it a shot. Went in ‘11 and it was a ridiculous s-show. And that was before the huge population influx on the last 5-6 years...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hoping to head up early to theBasin Thursday. Nervous it will be a huge s-show even at 8:30 but going to give it a shot. Went in ‘11 and it was a ridiculous s-show. And that was before the huge population influx on the last 5-6 years...

Trust me, the last Epic Pass A Basin Season is going to go out with a bang... Brace yourselves... :roflmao:

I skied A Basin back in 2010-2011 quite a bit and it as already pretty crowded but nothing crazy like the past 2 years. It was a stellar season, even better than this one IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online