• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the first-hand reports!

Trying to figure out what the snow will be like tomorrow is fun. Here's the pinpoint forecast for A-basin at 11,880 feet:

Tonight
Rain showers likely before 9pm, then snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 28. South wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow showers likely, mainly after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. West southwest wind 11 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-105.85739403963086&lat=39.63425511155995

My thoughts:
  • 28 degrees probably isn't low enough for a hard freeze.
  • A cold day is better than a warm day.
  • With the high sun and high of 41, it will end up slushy even with the clouds and possible afternoon snow.
  • Any snowfall tonight is good and improves surface conditions, but will also bring out the crowds.
As to the kiddo, I'm thinking maybe we'll hold off until mid to late morning and then stick to the more bumped up stuff where speeds should be slower.

Where am I off base on my thinking?

Looks like they got skunked with only a dusting while Steamboat got over a foot it seems :eek::eek::eek:

Should be decent tomorrow on the groomers for sure. Nothing spectacular but its late June! :D

I would expect very firm conditions in the morning.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Today should be great since the clouds are holding off with the storm coming in this afternoon (2-4” more forecast).

Doesn’t look like too many people, either, based on the webcams.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was great today at the Bay, at the start of summer. They only reported 2", but uptop, it was more like 3-5", depending on where on the mountain. And the off piste was great, all across the upper front face, including the ridge to West Wall. There were indeed re-frozen clumps here and there at first, but mostly it was slushy goodness, for good crud skis. From slalom skis to wider ones, and in between, it was good.

Does anybody have powder/crud rock skis? I was thinking that's what I'd have liked to have today. (But afterwards, there was no rock damage to my skis.)

At least before noon, not too crowded, short lines if any. Ullr be praised.

If it snows tonight, added to today's snow, then maybe not rock skis, just powder/crud. And next weeks' three days might hold up (tho I hear it's gonna get warmer).

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Nice to see that today played out. It looked good from afar for sure.

A759DF7A-6C1B-49DD-B450-D6B361EDD1DF.jpeg

And another note to this season, flood and winter weather advisories together.

FC556E5B-4ABC-4D1D-AB8A-E1A5AE74BA13.jpeg

We’re planning to hit next Friday. It’s supposed to be a full week of sun and summer, so my guess it it will be Lenawee Face to Reveal and High Noon and that’s it.

Although will be nice to skim Reveal without needing winter gear.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun day and happy we made it up. Unbelievable for the first full day of summer.

The cooler day was good and kept the top to bottom slush (by the time we got there) from getting too soft. It was nicer weather than the rain in Denver!

Son did great. We stuck to the bumps and out of the higher traffic zones as much as possible. The huge bumps on West Wall tough, but he wanted to go back and do it again. Cornice run getting there was like a fun little halfpipe.

It was a challenge keeping him safe through the tight spots, but he did a great job of sticking to the rope line, and I was blocking from behind. No close calls. There were a handful of other youngsters up there, also pretty good skiers. Thankfully I didn't see any beginners who didn't heed the warnings.

IMG_20190622_124843.jpg
IMG_20190622_124833.jpg IMG_20190622_125604.jpg
IMG_20190622_130940.jpg
IMG_20190622_135210.jpg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
No way A-Basin is making it past next weekend. This is Bakerville, so take a few degrees off, but we’re looking at mid-60s for most of next week into the weekend.

CBC1FAE5-393E-4309-88A7-AC7EDBC2BAB1.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No way A-Basin is making it past next weekend.
I heard several employees talking optimistically about the 4th of July. Sound like they would like to extend if possible and will know more this Thursday when they see what's remaining and "if the cat drivers can pull a rabbit out of a hat."

My son wanted to know how old you have to be to pond skim, and I immediately thought I should seek your counsel. I made up some crap about more swim lessons first. ogsmile

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a video of the last run of the day and almost certainly of the year. Ramrod, of course!

It was funky snow, but not too bad conditions for the bottom of the hill at the end of the day.

Sorry about the crummy video, I was holding my phone. I need to get a replacement for my broken helmet cam.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the Bay, Sunday underperformed, unfortunately. But, hey, it's summer(?) And it was a good bit colder, almost mid-season cold - good for the snow pack.

Slush on crust today at first, briefly, and after half an hour or so, an amazing number of skiers, increasing steadily, mostly arriving late(r). And still arriving as I left. Got crowded by 9:30, by A Basin standards, for the first a.m. time of the weekend, and the previous few weekends. Lightly snowing for a few hours or so. Colder.

At first, pretty wonderful (but kinda low visability). The low visability kept a lot of people off the upper, wider, off piste.

(For at least the second time in a row, oddly, Saturday was the best day of the three day weekend, as near as I could tell.)

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
At the Bay, Sunday underperformed, unfortunately. But, hey, it's summer(?) And it was a good bit colder, almost mid-season cold - good for the snow pack.

Slush on crust today at first, briefly, and after half an hour or so, an amazing number of skiers, increasing steadily, mostly arriving late(r). And still arriving as I left. Got crowded by 9:30, by A Basin standards, for the first a.m. time of the weekend, and the previous few weekends. Lightly snowing for a few hours or so. Colder.

At first, pretty wonderful (but kinda low visability). The low visability kept a lot of people off the upper, wider, off piste.

(For at least the second time in a row, oddly, Saturday was the best day of the three day weekend, as near as I could tell.)

I had a feeling A Basin was going to be a shit show. Anyway, I actually planned on skiing a few runs there today but as I was driving up, late. at 11am I saw the i70 crapshow coming down and im like hell no so took the Empire exit and headed to Jones pass.

The road to the summer campground was open and in great shape so I parked up there.

IMG_5753.JPG

The road to the pass didnt have enough snow to skin up for the most part so I had to walk to treeline. No biggie.

IMG_5755.JPG IMG_5759.JPG IMG_5761.JPG

Once above treeline it was full on winter conditions. CRAZY. About 28º and windy.

IMG_5763.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

Made it to about 12k to the base of one of the steep faces off the ridge but the visibility was very poor so being alone I skied down the east facing bowl and had some awesome winter-like powder turns.

The South side of the Bowl looked even better (its more NE facing) and the north facing chutes looked filled in. There was ICE under the powder but I couldnt feel it unless I crossed a spot where the wind had blown the powder off. It was pretty obvious where to go and not go.

IMG_5772.JPG

Regarding the road. There is still quite a bit of avalanche debris right above the campground.

IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5770.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
First time strapping the skis to the pack. Worked great! (Osprey Kamber 32)

Yes I did forget to bring the strap but the skis were super stable and didnt feel that it was required

IMG_5758.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January