• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Skis: What Are Your Questions?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would be surprised you will find a leftover Enforcer in the racks at any swap, most were sold out by December last year and the 2017's hit the rack by mid Januaray and many of that first run was gone by late February.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure how to define "good", but Ski Essentials is a site sponsor and have 'em on sale here.

If you really want o buy a pair, I would pm @SkiEssentials and see what the Pugski price is. They are a great company that many of us here have bought from. A great company that backs what they sell and offers fantastic customer service.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia my wife has the wild belle's and was wanting them to be her mid quiver "good in most" ski. She likes them on soft groomers and a little crud but awfully light and gets bounced. around a lot. Her blizzard viva 80's are more damp. What should we look into?

Black Pearl? Armada Victa? Thanks in advance for the insight!
I'm reading this and realize that I never answered your question.
This is probably why you PM'd me. Sometimes I get lost with all the catching up at the end of the day.
I'm going to put my answers to your PM here so that others can benefit.

The ski that has blown many of us out of the water in that upper 80's lower 90's category is the Armada Victa 87Ti. Its new for this coming season.

Another ski that is a nice compliment to her Blizzard Viva 8.0 may be the Volkl Kenja, but I would strongly suggest the new construction that came out for 15-16, and not before that. The older version was significantly stiffer and isn't as good at maneuverability.
Is this helpful?
Here are my thumbnail reviews for sub 90 which has the Victa and the Stockli Stormrider
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/tricias-thumbnail-reviews-sub-90mm-skis-2016-17.1539/
Here is a set of thumbnail reviews for ^90
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/tricias-thumbnail-reviews-90-mm-skis-2016-17.1540/

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any info on the Lib Tech tiny snowboards? Specifically the Wreckreate 115. I'd love to hear about any Lib Tech ski experience. I think I'm going to give their magne traction a shot this season.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I did it. I bought some skis without testing them first. I'm going to mount them in Dec and then report back.

SIZE CONTACT LENGTH SIDE CUT NOSE WIDTH WAIST WIDTH TAIL WIDTH FLEX 10 = FIRM WEIGHT (LBS)
191 110/150 18 153mm 115mm 143mm 7.5 5.6

IMAG1653.jpg

Kim

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any suggestions for a replacement of a Nordica TopFuel ski? I lost mine to cracked tips at the end of last season. ;-{

This will be a Tahoe ski.
My Utah ski is a Blizzard Black Pearl - 123-88-108. Radius 17m@166cm.
I like a less wide ski for Tahoe.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Suuuuure. Be careful what you ask for.
(Edited for spelling, 'cause, you know...)

Um, let me rephrase that.

"Anybody got a pair of Head World Cup Rebels i.Speed skis, or maybe some kewl Stöckli race planks they'd be happy to give me?" (How's that, @Philpug?)

:D

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Any suggestions for a replacement of a Nordica TopFuel ski? I lost mine to cracked tips at the end of last season. ;-{

Hi Kim

Pinging @Tricia and @SkiNurse . They had some strong recommendations for frontside skis that seem to be close to what you are looking for (but I can't really make a recommendation)

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2017-testers-choice.2782/
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/pugski-coms-2017-steals-deals.2689/

Once you know what you are looking for, unless you want the latest graphics, our friends and sponsors at @SkiEssentials might cut you a great deal, perhaps in last year's version, etc. You can always PM them :)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't know the Nordica Top Fuel and i haven't skied the Black Pearl in several seasons. I just retired the Nordica Helle's Belle's with the Armada Invicta. I like to use a 90ishmm ski for every day. My skinnier skis are the Kastle LX 82 which is fun, lively, solid underfoot and loves the groomer/hard packed runs. I like it for my early season ski. I also have the Kastle MX 83, BUT had issues with it...well, it was most likely my boots at the time, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try again this season.

Last year at Alta/Snowbird, I skied my Atomic Century 102s exclusively and they did beautifully on all the terrain and snow types.
Sorry, I have not yet skied Tahoe, so that's a hard recommendation for me. I know the snow type has a tendency to be different than Colorado/Utah.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

@SkiNurse has some good input, but first, I'd like to know a bit more about your skiing, and your size. Weight? Height?

I don't know the Nordica Top Fuel and i haven't skied the Black Pearl in several seasons. I just retired the Nordica Helle's Belle's with the Armada Invicta. I like to use a 90ishmm ski for every day. My skinnier skis are the Kastle LX 82 which is fun, lively, solid underfoot and loves the groomer/hard packed runs. I like it for my early season ski. I also have the Kastle MX 83, BUT had issues with it...well, it was most likely my boots at the time, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try again this season.

Last year at Alta/Snowbird, I skied my Atomic Century 102s exclusively and they did beautifully on all the terrain and snow types.
Sorry, I have not yet skied Tahoe, so that's a hard recommendation for me. I know the snow type has a tendency to be different than Colorado/Utah.

Kim

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am a 5'5" fit 165 lbs.
We get hard pack/groomed crud in Tahoe when the snow year is not good -- ie. the last 5 years!
The Nordica Top Fuels are a heavy metal core that can turn light on a dime but also plow through the crud.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, so at your size, you could go with a couple different options.
Staying on the narrower side, -
Volkl Flair 81
K2 Ooohlaluv
Head Super Joy
Blizzard Cheyenne (or if you want to go a little stronger, Latigo) I happen to have the Latigo because I stumbled upon it and liked the stronger of the two skis.
Off all of these skis, the Super Joy and Blizzard Cheyenne/Latigo will be the lightest weight, but with some decent strength
The Volkl Flair and K2 will be a little heavier but also extremely great crud busters.

Sponsor

Staff online