• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Skis: What Are Your Questions?

James

Out There
Instructor
I agree with Phil. Silly ratings.
I can tell you people love this years Rally! I liked the last version but felt it need more beef for heavier skiers. Sounds like they did it. I know three people on it. Couple went longer too at 177.

I ski regularly with someone who switched from various Blizzard carvers the last several seasons. New one every year. He loves the Rally! Haven't seen him that thrilled about a ski in years.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This comes down to what you want that ski for. if for mostly frontside carving and not skiing off-piste the value of a drift scrub to me is almost Zero. this is one of the faults, whats the weighted value of a property/trait of a ski that may run contrary to what makes the ski so highly rated to begin with?

for instance, a carving score on a powder ski is irrelevant and a high score for that trait may actually cause a higher overall score for a ski that doesnt ski powder as well to be higher. The higher score could actually cause a powder ski that doesn't float well or gets squirrelly/hooky in powder to have its score bolstered by a higher carving score.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil
I know what you mean about the numbers.What really seem odd are the off piste and drift numbers for the Magnum compared to the Rally. If the Magnum was that much better than the Rally off piste, I would go with the Magnum, but I kind of doubt it. Do you think the Magnum is better than, or even equal to, the Rally in junky snow and off piste?
What passes the sniff test? Were they skied on the same day by the same testers and did the skis have the same tune? Red flag goes off and you need to look past the numbers.

James

Out There
Instructor
Phil,

Thanks for continuing to do such a great service with this forum and web site. I learn something here every day!

My current quandary: I am presently skiing on 2014-15 Head Rallies and will be replacing them soon...

Their scores:

Titan:
Overall - 82.4 (out of 100)

Rally:
Overall - 82.93
Short radius 8.36
Drift scrub 7.86
Off piste 7.14
Continuous carve accuracy 8.79

Magnum:
Overall 89.9
Short radius 9.4
Drift/scrub 8.8
Off piste 8.0
Continuous carve accuracy 9.4

I hate to put you in the middle of this, but I highly value your judgement. And besides, that's why you get the big bucks!

As always, THANK YOU!
I agree with @Ron on these scores. First off, there is no way the Magnum is better than the Rally at "drift/scrub". Narrower with more sidecut? That sounds like a tuning issue or just people having to make up numbers when testing. You do get sick of it. Plus with either ski we're not talking drifting on the pitch at Solden in a wcup race.

Since you want a little more versatility, go Rally.
However... The new Titan really got great reviews. I remember talking to @FairToMiddlin at Abasin in May. He really liked it and thought it stood out. That would be a good option and keep the current Rally's. I will say no one talked abiut the previous Titan like this one. I thought previous one was a dead fish.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think 165, or 174's for 5'8" 155lbs.

I'm 5'6' 160# and got Z90 174 ... Quite happy. These are easier to bend than my 2 metal ski, 2013 Fischer Motive 86. Fischer are damp, heavier. Z90 livelier yet stable at speed.

Have only taken the Z90 on groomers, corduroy and crud. Looking forward to trying them in the bumps.

That said, I find myself wanting to be on the Fischers for higher speed; must be the damp feel.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'6' 160# and got Z90 174 ... Quite happy. These are easier to bend than my 2 metal ski, 2013 Fischer Motive 86. Fischer are damp, heavier. Z90 livelier yet stable at speed.

Have only taken the Z90 on groomers, corduroy and crud. Looking forward to trying them in the bumps.

That said, I find myself wanting to be on the Fischers for higher speed; must be the damp feel.

I ordered the 165's. if I find they are too short I hope I'll be able to swap them out for the 174's. They will be delivered by Monday and hopefully mounted by next weekend. So I'll know soon enough.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered the 165's....... and hopefully mounted by next weekend. So I'll know soon enough.

At this price, @Cyrus Schenck should consider offering them mounted with Attack 13s.

If I were purchasing, I'd just have more confidence going that route, than having a local shop do the mount.

But I'm still waiting for the PNW/JH Demo Center(s) to open!

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I ordered the 165's. if I find they are too short I hope I'll be able to swap them out for the 174's. They will be delivered by Monday and hopefully mounted by next weekend. So I'll know soon enough.
Congrats, another Renoun customer based on Pugski reviewers opinions. Love mine more and more everyday. Hopefully @Cyrus Schenck sent Phil a bottle of Whistle Pig and a case of Heady Topper as Vermont also has some of best bourbon (aka whisky) and beer on the planet as well.

Last edited:

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats, another Renoun customer based on Pugski reviewers opinions. Love mine more and more everyday. Hopefully @Cyrus Schenck sent Phil a bottle of Whistle Pig and a case of Heady Topper as Vermont also has some of best bourbon (aka whisky) and beer on the planet as well.

Actually I promised myself I would never buy without demoing again. My last purchase was over 13 years ago, and I demoed a bunch of skis and was very surprised by my final choice. It was not even in the list of skis I was considering. My buddy, said I can see that big ass grin when you come down on those.. and he was right.

I don't get the days in that a lot of you all get, but I'd like to think even at almost 50, I'm still tearing it up. (I'm still a few turns ahead of my 15yr old) - Tried to explain to him how much of of an advantage he has, as I didn't start skiing till I was around his age. - he doesn't realize he has been on skis since he was 3.

So I'm takin a big leap of faith, and $ to go this route. However, with the 100 day trail, and the 12 month 0% financing, it is worth the risk. Phil's review/recommendation went as long way. Plus I'm a sucker for new tech, and young entrepreneurs. Sounds like Cy is really on to something, and I would love to see him succeed...

I remember when Burton was starting out in VT. I tried hard to like snowboarding, but it just wasn't for me. I never liked my feet tied together.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At this price, @Cyrus Schenck should consider offering them mounted with Attack 13s.

If I were purchasing, I'd just have more confidence going that route, than having a local shop do the mount.

But I'm still waiting for the PNW/JH Demo Center(s) to open!
I am hesitant to mount myself, but I'll also concerned about letting some els amount them. I need to purchase a binding (probably Look 14's as 18s are just too much of me) but I do need to find someone I can trust to mount them. (especially at the Z90 price, I don't want any to F' the up).

enduranceisking

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am hesitant to mount myself, but I'll also concerned about letting some els amount them. I need to purchase a binding (probably Look 14's as 18s are just too much of me) but I do need to find someone I can trust to mount them. (especially at the Z90 price, I don't want any to F' the up).

I sent my Endurance 98's along with Pivot 14's to @smoothrides. Phil recommended that the bases be checked and to find someone to look them over that tunes race skis. I had to ship them from Texas to California but it was well worth it. @smoothrides gets my vote. :hail:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
mikelrv, surely there is a ski shop in NJ capable of mounting the skis without making a mistake. You really shouldn't have to ship skis across the country just to get bindings mounted.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
One of the many things that I take for granted living in ski country is all the great ski shops manned by competent professionals. Tip my main guy with a world class IPA every time I see him in the parking lot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
mikelrv, surely there is a ski shop in NJ capable of mounting the skis without making a mistake. You really shouldn't have to ship skis across the country just to get bindings mounted.
Heino's in North Jersey is a reputable shop.

Sponsor

Staff online