• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Skis: What Are Your Questions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we have been busy compiling our reviews, from thumbnails to full long term tests, we are sure you have some questions. What will the new Kastle MX84 and MX89 be like? With all these manufacturers offering new skis in the 80mm catagory, what are the standouts? Is 88mm the new 98mm for "one ski quiver"? What is the fastest color ski? Were the One-Oh-Somethings a paper fire? What questions do you have?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Is 88mm the new 98mm for "one ski quiver"?

Yes. The 1-0's are for the most part sort of the red headed step child.. neither here nor there, but there certainly are a handful of good skis in that group... well, maybe 3 fingers worth of a handful for lift served skiing.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not planning on buying any. What's the gamechanger that means I'm wrong?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heh, I have had at least three pairs of One-Oh's, and I really like them all. But that's my widest width, too -- they serve as powder skis, but a little more versatile. Perhaps if you're north of 150 lb or more, things are different.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Heh, I have had at least three pairs of One-Oh's, and I really like them all. But that's my widest width, too -- they serve as powder skis, but a little more versatile. Perhaps if you're north of 150 lb or more, things are different.

I'm pretty sure a 1-0-something might be my powder ski for your part of the world as well. :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not planning on buying any. What's the gamechanger that means I'm wrong?

Depends what you game is. The Renoun Z90 is a consideration for a 90mm wide ski that carves like a narrower and just rips and skis better than any start up should be able to build for their first ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True ... therefore, not a paper fire. I think @Ron has moved to 107 for his powder ski.
They were the billed as the 29'ers of skis... If bigger is better, biggerer is betterer and they were to be the bigger all mountain. As Powder skis, yes they work and are better than most 115mm pluss for most people.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They were the billed as the 29'ers of skis... If bigger is better, biggerer is betterer and they were to be the bigger all mountain. As Powder skis, yes they work and are better than most 115mm pluss for most people.

Yeah, I'm not sure I ever skied a truly soft wide powder ski before, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I always liked the sorta-stiff-not-quite-as-wide powder skis.

Oh wait, I had the early S7 -- that was pretty soft and wide. I liked it for a while, but sold it soon.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started skiing 10X skis ten years ago when I moved to UT. I would not be without one in the quiver.

michael

Skier
@Philpug - your original post reads as though you were looking at the open browser tabs i've had up for a few days now... lol

I think there is a lot to be excited about, but I'm new and the shiny hasn't worn off me yet... Under 85mm, for me, I think the Kastle MX83/84 is not the best ski but the CPM82 looks interesting. Also, the Head Supershapes. Over 90mm, the Salomon QST 99s are going to be demoed at the first opportunity I get. ON3P appears to have revamped a lot of things this year - for example, the Wrenegade is coming out in 88, 98 and 108 underfoot (think they started at 102 last season). Unfortunately, the local ON3P dealer in Salt Lake told me last Spring they would not be carrying ON3P skis this season - need to figure out how to demo those now... And I hadn't realized that the Wrens were going to be released in 88mm until today so now I'm wondering about just simplifying life to having that one ski. :)

As for 10X skis... if I get into snow deep enough for these, then I did something seriously ill-advised for me...

michael

Skier
@Philpug - last year was my first year skiing, but i managed to get 58 days in at which point Snowbird closed for the year... I had considered the K2 iKonic last year, but decided against them (went with Atomic Blackeye TI). And I concur about the MXs. When I was first shopping, I told the guy I was interested in those - his response was a smile and a very polite "you're not ready for those" and apologized for saying that (you know you're in the right place when they downsell you on product!). I progressed further than I could have imagined and am wanting to upgrade, but also not wanting to be a gear hound and wind up doing this every year. Well, that's what I say to myself now, anyway... that I also have K2 Pinnacle 95 (loved these until Spring conditions) and ON3P Kartel 98s (like, i think - definitely not loving them, but there are a lot of factors playing in to my assessment of these skis) is probably a good indicator that I'm lying to myself. :)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I have a bunch of skis but I also always have to travel to ski which means a Max of 3 pairs. Next season I'm planning to use a pair of 107s as my utility ski in a 191 but then I'm probably one of Phil's 11/10 skiers (size wise not aggression). The skis though do mince like roller skates on a soft groomer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug - last year was my first year skiing, but i managed to get 58 days in at which point Snowbird closed for the year... I had considered the K2 iKonic last year, but decided against them (went with Atomic Blackeye TI). And I concur about the MXs. When I was first shopping, I told the guy I was interested in those - his response was a smile and a very polite "you're not ready for those" and apologized for saying that (you know you're in the right place when they downsell you on product!). I progressed further than I could have imagined and am wanting to upgrade, but also not wanting to be a gear hound and wind up doing this every year. Well, that's what I say to myself now, anyway... that I also have K2 Pinnacle 95 (loved these until Spring conditions) and ON3P Kartel 98s (like, i think - definitely not loving them, but there are a lot of factors playing in to my assessment of these skis) is probably a good indicator that I'm lying to myself. :)
Almost 60 days? Thats awesome. It sounds like you found a good ski guy. The Blackeye Ti's are a good ski and having the Pinnacle 95 to complement them is a damn good combo. What do you have for boots? If you have a typical lower to midrange boot, that is where your next level of inprovement might come from. I am not saying that you will be jumping to a 140 flex plug boot but 58 days is about what a lower to mid level boot can handle, the liner will be mush. Go back to your guy and talk about boots, possibly a more responsive boot with a better liner. that will transmit your energy to the ski more efficiently. If you haven't already gotten a footbed, consider that and if you are having trouble matching your left and right turns, it might also be an alignment issue. A good boot with a proper fit, will remove a lot of variables. If your guy just does skis and not boots, consider going up to see Matt Schiller at the Park City Boot Room, he is about as good as you can get.

michael

Skier
I was really fortunate when it came to gear. Everyone at Jan's in Park City is amazing and will not sell you something not appropriate for you. About 1/2-way thru the season i decided my boots (Atomic Hawx 2.0 @ 120 flex) needed to be better fitted which is how i wound up at The Sport Loft in SLC where Jeremy did a full custom fitting and made sure my alignment was correct. I cannot blather enough about the difference that made. Liked it so much that I've since been back to have him make custom orthotics for my shoes. I have a low volume heel, high volume arch and I supinate - this is the first time in years i can go all day without my feet hurting at all.

I do like the Blackeyes, but they got scary as conditions got icier (especially in February at PCMR).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was really fortunate when it came to gear. Everyone at Jan's in Park City is amazing and will not sell you something not appropriate for you. About 1/2-way thru the season i decided my boots (Atomic Hawx 2.0 @ 120 flex) needed to be better fitted which is how i wound up at The Sport Loft in SLC where Jeremy did a full custom fitting and made sure my alignment was correct. I cannot blather enough about the difference that made. Liked it so much that I've since been back to have him make custom orthotics for my shoes. I have a low volume heel, high volume arch and I supinate - this is the first time in years i can go all day without my feet hurting at all.

I do like the Blackeyes, but they got scary as conditions got icier (especially in February at PCMR).
Did you happen to have your Blackeyes tuned?

RE: Footbeds
I had hip issues most of my adult life until @Philpug was fitting my ski boots, checking my alignment and found that I have a minor leg length discrepancy. We put a lift on my right boot and a heel lift in shoes that I wear daily and my hip issues went away.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Regarding the boots, you are further ahead than most. It is great that you "have a guy" that you can trust and has your best interests in mind.

Icier is relative...icy for Snowbird is different than icy for Stowe..I will let @Josh Matta chime in with the difference. While the Blackeye is not an ice-skate by any means, it is not a bad ski on the firm conditions either. Getting more accustomed to dealing with adverse condtions will take more than 60 days but it sounds like you are well on the way. Maybe check the tune and get that either before the season or after rock season.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

That's depends on many variables. Not the least of which are skier weight, ability and aggressiveness, snow density, depth and technique.

Sponsor

Staff online