• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Skis: What Are Your Questions?

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
PBR ME ASAP!
I'm hoping this gets me extra pocket peebs all the time. The best thing about PBR is it taste just as good hot as it does cold.

My cousin was picking on my beer selection for a multi day float until she ran out of fancy beer. She said that PBR is nice because when the Colorado river splashes into your can you can't even taste the difference.

Extra side note: I learned on that float trip that you can buy liquor in plastic pouches. You just peal of the top and go.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
@Philpug (and others, of course), is this year's Line Supernatural 108 different form the last two seasons (apart from looks)? Or is it the same essentially?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug (and others, of course), is this year's Line Supernatural 108 different form the last two seasons (apart from looks)? Or is it the same essentially?
I am pretty sure it is the same ski.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's one. I have a buddy who is Expert level 145 lbs ~ 5' 9" wants a true "all mtn ski" that does speed, moguls, trees, pow, and also wants the versatility to ski wide open slopes in the Alps and on and off piste (not too much to ask right? LOL) . His reference ski is the older Red Mantra (w/ the grey katana/sword on them) which he absolutely loves but the ski has died..... no surprise there! He loves the size and says it's great in moguls and trees, and he can float in pow. He tried my 180 Bones, and as I cautioned, it was WAAY too much ski for him. He LOVED the speed but that was about it. He did like my Line Sick Day 95's but we agreed and think they are much to long for the trees off the Gondy and also the off piste, Bruce trail @ Stowe............... Your thoughts and suggestions on a new ski? @Philpug Thanks!

New Mantra's maybe in 177 to start the list?

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's one. I have a buddy who is Expert level 145 lbs ~ 5' 9" wants a true "all mtn ski" that does speed, moguls, trees, pow, and also wants the versatility to ski wide open slopes in the Alps and on and off piste (not too much to ask right? LOL) . His reference ski is the older Red Mantra (w/ the grey katana/sword on them) which he absolutely loves but the ski has died..... no surprise there! He loves the size and says it's great in moguls and trees, and he can float in pow. He tried my 180 Bones, and as I cautioned, it was WAAY too much ski for him. He LOVED the speed but that was about it. He did like my Line Sick Day 95's but we agreed and think they are much to long for the trees off the Gondy and also the off piste, Bruce trail @ Stowe............... Your thoughts and suggestions on a new ski? @Philpug Thanks!

And Nordica Enforcer 100, also 177

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

If he didn't like the Bonafides, the 177 Mantra will be too much too. His old red Mantra was 96 underfoot so don't dismiss skis in the 95mm range and that old Matra was also signifcantly softer and better flexing than the current ski too. If he must stay with Volkl, start with the 90Eight. That will be more like his old red one. Other options, @SBrown suggested, the Enforcer and maybe even the Enforcer 93. Atomic Vantage 100, Salomon QST99, Armada Invictus 99Ti, if cost is not a concernt, Kastle FX95, Stockli SR95.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks so much @SBrown & @Philpug! Good starting points! What do you think of him liking the 186 Line Sick Day 95's........ I'm thinking too much ski........your thoughts as i was giving them to him. Worth it or just keep them and have him get a ski more tailored to his size?

Last edited:

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Need some help. Hard to demo any of these, but based on all the reviews here, I feel I have narrowed down my search. Stockli Laser AX, (maybe SR95), Reunion (90, 77?), or Kastle MX (would also consider any other suggestions) for east coast skiing; from Hunter Mtn to Sugarbush, and everything in between. Love to lay them out and curve, charge the fall line, ski the edges, but also like the trees, and the bumps, when they are not rock solid. (BTW, 50 yrs old, 155lbs, average about 20 days a year., coming off 13yr old Salomon Crossmax Pilot 10's)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I would suggest you demoing some skis in the similar class since you are coming off some very old skis. the technology and design has changed so significantly, I would suggest first getting on some current designs to better understand what you may prefer and then take a look at these or other skis.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Need some help. Hard to demo any of these, but based on all the reviews here, I feel I have narrowed down my search. Stockli Laser AX, (maybe SR95), Reunion (90, 77?), or Kastle MX (would also consider any other suggestions) for east coast skiing; from Hunter Mtn to Sugarbush, and everything in between. Love to lay them out and curve, charge the fall line, ski the edges, but also like the trees, and the bumps, when they are not rock solid. (BTW, 50 yrs old, 155lbs, average about 20 days a year., coming off 13yr old Salomon Crossmax Pilot 10's)
Looks liek you are thinking premiums and for as long as you keep a ski, that will pay off in the long run. I would consider the Stormrider 88 as the Stockli option, it has the best of both the 95 and the Laser AX. The Renoun, Z90 would be my call, IMHO the what could be the best do it all ski..every produced and maybe the Kastle FX85HP. All three are great but all different, not a bad choice amongst the bunch...now...which one?

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks liek you are thinking premiums and for as long as you keep a ski, that will pay off in the long run. I would consider the Stormrider 88 as the Stockli option, it has the best of both the 95 and the Laser AX. The Renoun, Z90 would be my call, IMHO the what could be the best do it all ski..every produced and maybe the Kastle FX85HP. All three are great but all different, not a bad choice amongst the bunch...now...which one?

Thanks for the quick response.
Exactly.. which one... :)

The Reunion Z90 are extremely intriguing. The 100 day trail sounds like a win, win.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the quick response.
Exactly.. which one... :)

The Reunion Z90 are extremely intriguing. The 100 day trail sounds like a win, win.
I realllllly like the Z90 and even being 40lb more than you, I think it is a top choice. If I had to ski the Z90 as my only ski..I wouldn't argue one bit.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would suggest you demoing some skis in the similar class since you are coming off some very old skis. the technology and design has changed so significantly, I would suggest first getting on some current designs to better understand what you may prefer and then take a look at these or other skis.

You are right, I really should demo. I vouched years ago that I would not buy without demoing. I ended up with the Salomon's by demoing. They weren't even on my radar at the time, I really wanted to buy the Volkl 5 Star (?). But run after run, the Salomon produced the biggest smile, so I went with them.

Over the last few years I have skied some of the more current designs, but mostly on west coast slopes. (unfortunately never got any real good powder days).
-Salomon BBR's, Blizzard Magnums, and K2 AMP Rictor XTI 90's. (My favorite were actually the K2's) However, I know they are not in the same class as Kastle, Renoun, or Stockli. But, hey, my 50th b-day is around the corner, and I think I should treat myself this time around.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
Phil,

Thanks for continuing to do such a great service with this forum and web site. I learn something here every day!

My current quandary: I am presently skiing on 2014-15 Head Rallies and will be replacing them soon. Originally, I intended to go with the new Rally, but when I compared the scores for the new Magnum and the new Rally on another review site (RS), I am thinking that the Magnum might be a better choice for me for me. I use the Rally as my go to eastern ski on hard packed and often in moderate crud. I know you like the Titan, but I don't think I want the Titan, because I love the on piste carving ability of the Rally. These scores seem to say that the Magnum is a better carving (railing) ski than the Rally and that it would also be reasonably good in light to moderate crud.

Their scores:

Titan:
Overall - 82.4 (out of 100)

Rally:
Overall - 82.93
Short radius 8.36
Drift scrub 7.86
Off piste 7.14
Continuous carve accuracy 8.79

Magnum:
Overall 89.9
Short radius 9.4
Drift/scrub 8.8
Off piste 8.0
Continuous carve accuracy 9.4

I hate to put you in the middle of this, but I highly value your judgement. And besides, that's why you get the big bucks!

As always, THANK YOU!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm shorter than you, and 165 is the absolute shortest I go.

Thanks Monique. I would not want to go shorter then 165 either. I just never know anymore. Each manufacture is different when it comes to design length based on skis weight, and ability. Over the last few years 165 to 185's have been recommend to me when I have tried some demo skis.

They all seem short compared to the 201's I skied in the 80's.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you think 165, or 174's for 5'8" 155lbs.

Depends on the turn shape you want but if you are skiing them in the east, I would say the 165. I am on the 174 and just love it for short to medium turns and if I was in the East, it would not be a question I would take that over the 180 so for you, the 165 will be money.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil,

Thanks for continuing to do such a great service with this forum and web site. I learn something here every day!

My current quandary: I am presently skiing on 2014-15 Head Rallies and will be replacing them soon. Originally, I intended to go with the new Rally, but when I compared the scores for the new Magnum and the new Rally on another review site (RS), I am thinking that the Magnum might be a better choice for me for me. I use the Rally as my go to eastern ski on hard packed and often in moderate crud. I know you like the Titan, but I don't think I want the Titan, because I love the on piste carving ability of the Rally. These scores seem to say that the Magnum is a better carving (railing) ski than the Rally and that it would also be reasonably good in light to moderate crud.

Their scores:

Titan:
Overall - 82.4 (out of 100)

Rally:
Overall - 82.93
Short radius 8.36
Drift scrub 7.86
Off piste 7.14
Continuous carve accuracy 8.79

Magnum:
Overall 89.9
Short radius 9.4
Drift/scrub 8.8
Off piste 8.0
Continuous carve accuracy 9.4

I hate to put you in the middle of this, but I highly value your judgement. And besides, that's why you get the big bucks!

As always, THANK YOU!

Sorry, but I hate this type of scoring. There are too many variables where each of these skis is the best ski for a particular skier or desired application. Yes, I like the Titan, I also like the Rally and the Magnum and even the iSpeed. I like them all. If you go by their numbers, you should not even consider the Rally...it scored a measly 82.93 compared to the 89.9 of the Magnum...and the Titan a lowly 82.4..why is any shop even stocking it...might as well send them all back or just toss them in the dumpster. The numbers that show that the Magnum in a better carver than the Rally is that it has a 71mm waist compared to the 76mm waist with both skis having the sam construction. If you want more quickenss than you are experiencing now? The Magnum. Of you are pretty happy with the turn than your Rally is currently making, The Rally. With the new shapes that this collection have, both of these will be more precise than you are experiencing with your current model.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
Phil
I know what you mean about the numbers.What really seem odd are the off piste and drift numbers for the Magnum compared to the Rally. If the Magnum was that much better than the Rally off piste, I would go with the Magnum, but I kind of doubt it. Do you think the Magnum is better than, or even equal to, the Rally in junky snow and off piste?

Sponsor