• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Skis: What Are Your Questions?

HateBoilerplate

Booting up
Skier
Any idea if the new, narrower 71mm wasited Rossignol Pursuit 800 is a substantial difference from the 81mm of the previous model, and if that moves it well ahead of say, the higher end models of the Nordica Fire Arrow line in consideration for skiing on midwest (ie Michigan) hills that tend to end up as sheets of ice by mid season?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any idea if the new, narrower 71mm wasited Rossignol Pursuit 800 is a substantial difference from the 81mm of the previous model, and if that moves it well ahead of say, the higher end models of the Nordica Fire Arrow line in consideration for skiing on midwest (ie Michigan) hills that tend to end up as sheets of ice by mid season?
The Pursuit 800 is a complete carry over, it was 71mm last year. Nordica really doesn't have a ski to go up against it at 71 underfoot. The K2 SpeedCharger, Volkl Code or Head SS Magnum would be all viable options.

HateBoilerplate

Booting up
Skier
The Pursuit 800 is a complete carry over, it was 71mm last year. Nordica really doesn't have a ski to go up against it at 71 underfoot. The K2 SpeedCharger, Volkl Code or Head SS Magnum would be all viable options.

My bad. I thought I'd read this was the first year of the narrower ski. Any thoughts on how the Fire Arrow compares, even at the wider width?

How do the Speed Charger and Super Charger compare? Any thoughts on the better of the two versus the Pursuit 800?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
- I think there should be a review of the reviews.
That sounds like a polite way of saying you think SKI magazine reviewers are whacked! LOL.

I just found it interesting that the same tester had such a polar opposite impression of the skis forgiveness from last years Lazer AX to this year's version, of which I think the only construction change as described in Stockli literature seems like a marketing gimmick, i.e., Turtle Shell Technology, IDK?

Last edited:

GregMerz

Booting up
Skier
First world problem. 2017 ski choice. Code Speedwall L UVO in 178 or Supershape Titan in 177 for all around groomer versatility. Both rock hard Midwestern groomers and softer Western groomers. Some light off-piste use until the conditions warrant bringing out something wider. Coming off a three year old Titan.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Late to the party, but got a 2017 ski question:

Are indies expanding into titanal? If not, why not? RMU does it, DPS used to do it, is anyone else having a go?

Apart from Renoun, no one has been able to smooth out irregular snow, really, without titanal...

Reactions: Ron

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Err, is that really so rare? 4frnt, Amplid, Armada, Liberty, G3, Faction, come to mind as having titanal to some extent or other, though maybe some of those don't qualify as indies?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Late to the party, but got a 2017 ski question:

Are indies expanding into titanal? If not, why not? RMU does it, DPS used to do it, is anyone else having a go?

Apart from Renoun, no one has been able to smooth out irregular snow, really, without titan
al...

I would be so bold as to say that Renoun has one-upped titanal :thumb:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From their website:
AMAG Titanal® - one of the top high strength alloys in the world – is used in various applications. Especially in the sports and leisure industry, the material characteristics such as formability, anodising and bonding capacity, as well as weldability, are constantly adapted to ideally match the demands of the end product.
AMAG Titanal® is used as a supporting element in high-quality composite skis. The material’s isotropic characteristics and an elongation limit of > 600 MPa with thicknesses of 0.50-1.20 mm are used to enhance torsion resistance, edge grip and smooth running. On the other hand, the deformation tendency is markedly reduced. Bonding in composites, e.g. with epoxy resin adhesives is achieved by means of an adaptive version of AMAG Titanal® with a thin, openpore phosphoric acid anodised layer.

Titanal is an ingredient, don't confuse what it is and how it's used with what it does. Like any other ingredient it serves a purpose but many time there are other ingredients that also give the results that are expected. Sometimes it is also the process that can create the desired results.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ON3P is another company that doesn't use Titanal, and I would argue their models are among the best at smoothing out irregular snow, essential for off-piste in the PNW.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So this week I got three of the new skiing gear magazines and have been reading them over between munching on toast and drinking Koolaid-substitutes.

Right away I went, "Oh, so that's why Phil has been long term 'testing' the Nordica Enforcer 93."

Then I noticed I did not like the new colors of this year's Stockli Laser AX.

(You can see I'm a deep thinker, at times.)

Overall, I noticed that I already knew a lot more about next year's models than I usually do; mostly because of this website, and the reviews of Phil, Trish and the other Pugski testers.

Thanks, guys & gals.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
ON3P is another company that doesn't use Titanal, and I would argue their models are among the best at smoothing out irregular snow, essential for off-piste in the PNW.

ya' just got to get on a pair of Renoun Endurance 98's in some crud.......:thumb:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So this week I got three of the new skiing gear magazines and have been reading them over between munching on toast and drinking Koolaid-substitutes.

Right away I went, "Oh, so that's why Phil has been long term 'testing' the Nordica Enforcer 93."

Then I noticed I did not like the new colors of this year's Stockli Laser AX.

(You can see I'm a deep thinker, at times.)

Overall, I noticed that I already knew a lot more about next year's models than I usually do; mostly because of this website, and the reviews of Phil, Trish and the other Pugski testers.

Thanks, guys & gals.
This circles into the question, "Does anyone purchase Ski Magazine? it is old dated information, we talk you all about these skis 8 months ago.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

It'd be pretty tough to beat a race ski in the midwest. The Supershapes would be a close second. FWIW, an 18-20m radius like the pursuit, while a nice (if you find a deal, go for it!) puts it in a league with a Head Rebels iSpeed (not the super shape iSpeed) and there just isn't a comparison. The Rossi Hero LT or Master should be in the mix as well.

GregMerz

Booting up
Skier
First world problem. 2017 ski choice. Code Speedwall L UVO in 178 or Supershape Titan in 177 for all around groomer versatility. Both rock hard Midwestern groomers and softer Western groomers. Some light off-piste use until the conditions warrant bringing out something wider. Coming off a three year old Titan.

Any opinions on the choice of these two given the intended usage ?

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any good Labor Day deals to be had on a 2017 Enforcer? (Still trusting that this is the logical second ski to go with the Latigo for a 215 lb guy wanting to mess around in the Tahoe trees.)

Guess that's really 2 questions. Hmmm...

Sponsor

Staff online