• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Most Prized Ski Possession

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Of all the "stuff" you have for skiing, what is you most prized possession?

I'll Start
I'd like to think that gathering "stuff" is far less important as I continue to age. Far more, I value the ski friends and experiences that have shared some of the best days of my life. If there is one thing that I will not part with it's the silver Nevica one piece suit, or fart bag, if you will, that is seen in my avatar.
The one-piece was purchased by a now deceased great friend, who became my ski mentor and the big brother I never had. He loved the ski experience and eschewed groomers. When riding chars, he would seek un-skied lines and figure out a way to get there. We did a lot of traversing, which I hated, but, sometimes, the payoff was sublime. He was superb in interpersonal relationships, and, made each day skiing just so much better.
When his health was failing, and, I was headed to Utah, he gifted me the suit. I last wore it at an Abasin beachparty. It needs to be packed for this year's Aspen Gathering (or reunion as we say at Pugski). I'll do a little snow dance so that I can wear it again.'

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. What's yours.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My mother's ski poles.

They're old. From the 70s she thinks. Powder baskets don't match and whatever branding on the aluminum poles has long rubbed off. Original grips and straps are held together with decades of different duct tape. She's had the same poles since I was a child, and still cherishes them when she comes out to visit and ski once or twice a year. When she decides to be done skiing (given her current health I expect her to ski well into her 70s at least), they will be hung up with care somewhere I will see them regularly.

In the less-sentimental, more-functional category, my ski van. In its short life with me it already has a ton of memories. Taking up a group of friends (we've had 7 adults + gear in there a number of times) and partying in the lot, sleeping in it over night, booting up in it on a powder day, being a monster in the snow (AWD + Snows). I'll be sad to see it go when it does.

And since this thread is worthless without pics (I'll get one of the poles soon), the van at the end of the day last Saturday.
12342613_10100737096724080_2590454116133422220_n.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My two favorite ski buddies that are work in progress..

10960378_1012494122099459_4324890259392211397_o.jpg

And the ski mobile that safely delivers us to the promised land and back home..

1016389_781896965159177_956437202_n.jpg

Old stuff and mementos wise would have to be my competition bibs and medals..

CompBibs.jpg

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
For me it would be my hart ballets, K2 710's the Scott grips. (Yeah, those Scott grips, the ones that will rip your thumbs off, 'cept I stopped getting my thumbs ripped off when I stopped using conventional grips and started using the Scotts.) I've done some extensive base patching on the harts and I hope they stay in, but if they don't I'll try gluing some strips in along the edge and see how that works.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's only one item I can't replace on the spot if forgotten - my ski boots. Whatever boot I currently own will always be my most precious ski possession.

(I could go sentimental like others and say "my husband," but he isn't a ski item!)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Giant's Ridge ski hat (even though I wear a helmet 95% of the time these days).

Memories of a great youth with weekends always spent skiing.

Go Minnesota!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, I have a lot of treasures, but it would be tough to replace my ski pin collection. Started collecting at age 16. I have ski pins from my travels to Europe, Canada and the US.

image.jpeg

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Aside from all the great memories and stories, I'd have to say my ski pin collection that won "Best Vacation Collection" at the Del Mar Fair a few years back. And my official Salt Lake 2002 cowbell; 'cause we all need MORE COWBELL!!!!!
:D

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After associating with you fine folks I would have to say my American Express card.

Next would be a CB powdershirt circa 1985. On the back there is an brown and green longitudinal stain from crashing into an aspen here in Park City in a place where you can't ski the trees anymore due to undergrowth.

It was one of those times when we kept skiing faster as we'd always find daylight. Well one time I didn't. Escaped unhurt.

Sponsor