• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Most Prized Ski Possession

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Next would be a CB powdershirt circa 1985. On the back there is an brown and green longitudinal stain from crashing into an aspen here in Park City in a place where you can't ski the trees anymore due to undergrowth.

It was one of those times when we kept skiing faster as we'd always find daylight. Well one time I didn't. Escaped unhurt.

One like this?

image.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No sentimentality for me. At the moment, my most cherished skiing-related possession is/are my Outdoor Research Lucent heated mittens.

As a type one diabetic I have always had to cope with cold hands, to the point of wearing mittens, with a pair of additional liners, with a heat pack in each mitten. This season I first tried the Lucent heated gloves, even those didn't do the job for me. OR's return policy is outstanding BTW. My Lucent mittens have worked great, for the first time in my life I have been able to forget about my hands and enjoy skiing longer.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I'm far more sentimental about the stuff I wish I still had but don't. The first skis that were mine. ST Comps that were hand me downs in the mid 80s. I still remember coming home from college some years later and finding out they had been tossed out, along with the orange Scott poles with yellow grips. First owned boots. Some Nordica hybrids with lots of neon. Nike ACG gortex shell I bought in the early 90s. First thing I ever bought at REI, I joined the day I bought it and still have my original card from 1991. Shell is long gone, but I wish I'd kept it. Had a Mountain Hardware 5 degree bag, the nickel cigar, back in the mid 90s. Took it to NOLS mountaineering and camped and couch surfed all over the west with it to ski with friends on the cheap back when 20 bucks was a lot of money. I don't remember what happened to it. I know it was falling apart when I finally replaced it. Still - I kinda wish those things were in storage bins somewhere.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I aquired the bindings over the years, ski swaps, craigslist, ebay and friends. People keep an eye out for me knowing that I look for bindings. I get the occasional text from @Andy Mink with a picture from a thrft shop with a "Need it?" caption.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

My bride of 37 years, also a February anniversary this honeymoon photo taken in Aspen 1979. We skied together for years before she gave up the sport.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
1976 N. A. Jr. DH Championship skis
Descente DH w N17 1.JPG

(I guess they are pointing in the right direction :) )

1977 Race skis
rossis 4108a.jpg

us team ring 1977-78.jpg

us team ring briggs.jpg

Memories
world cup - heavenly valley 77 race 2.jpg

There are far more memories than will fit on this page. Thanks to my parents for living in North Conway and being an active in skiing. They ran a country inn for my entire childhood yet managed to volunteer with the ESSC (Eastern Slopes Ski Club) introduce me and my siblings to skiing and support my ski racing career. Skiing has been a huge force in my life.

Dad+teaching+Nancy-Gail.jpg

My dad teaching my sister to ski.

900x900px-LL-4de54575_090531+-+Mum+and+Nancy-Gail+at+HoJo's.jpg

My mum with my sister at HoJo's on Mt. Washington, NH.

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In looking through the list you beat a lot of big name skiers Doug! Mill, Murray, Podborski! Almost beat Klammer!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya less than a half second behind Klammer is pretty freakin' awesome considering the fact that USA skiing just didn't have the kind of resources and support those other guys had.

Was your coach anything like Gene Hackman?

downhill-racer-robert-redford-gene-hackman-1969.jpg

Sponsor