• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would it make sense to get the Enforcers....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I had a 185cm NRGY 100 mounted with alpine binding, and own a 177 with Tech binding for touring.

There is a surprising amount of float in either size, its also is very slippery and slarvly. I found them to be very good in trees. I did not get rid of the 185 for the lack of ability in the trees, I got rid of its because its was simply to soft to charge on broken groomer and though wet heavy snow in wide open spots. In wide open broken lighter crud they are really fun and pretty easy to go where you want. If you are looking for a tree ski and only a tree ski, its really good, there are better choices but the NRGY is really good.

10906572_10153769306688357_7850535673778726908_n.jpg

Since the 177 has short turn radius and is easier to throw around the couple times I had them on the ski hill, they were actually a little more fun the shorter sidecut meant they did not need to be as stiff to charge over crud. They have proven to be great touring on consolidated bases with either wind buff, up to a a couple feet of powder, as well a great tool for corn skiing and skiing the steeps of mount washington. IMO Sidecut can be a liability in variable off piste terrain especially in crust, slabs, and upside down snow. Despite in fairly narrow width the NRGY does quite well in variable snow like that. For instance my 183cm TST which is far better powder ski due to its more rocker and much fatter tip, is far worse in weird crusty snow then my NRGY 185 was or currently my NRGY 177 is.

What I really would love to try is an NRGY 100 185cm with the Capo construction. Sadly nordica seems to making skis softer. Still have yet to try the enforcers though but have a ton of time on a lot of skis in this size class.

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
Actually, they are completely different animals. The NRGy is softer with a straighter sidecut an much less rise in the tip. The Enforcer is stronger with a more playful personalty and is better off piste in soft snow and trees.
Thanks Phil and Read and Josh!

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
An additional question; do you think that a binding brake that is 20mm bigger than the ski width is too large?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
A 120mm brake will work, but I'd recommend a 100mm brake.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Have you used Griffon bindings in the past? I have and came to hate them and will never use them or any other Marker binding with a similar heel. They can be very hard to get back into in soft snow. Can you buy them unmounted? Then you could sell the Griffons and get a different binding.

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
Have you used Griffon bindings in the past? I have and came to hate them and will never use them or any other Marker binding with a similar heel. They can be very hard to get back into in soft snow. Can you buy them unmounted? Then you could sell the Griffons and get a different binding.
Yes, they would come unmounted. But I have Griffons on my Brahmas and haven't had any issues so far. Though I could still sell them and buy another pair, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle or the loss in value.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Loss in value? You're getting the bindings for free.

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
Loss in value? You're getting the bindings for free.

Loss in value meaning, if I were to keep the Griffon 13s, the total cost would be $699, if I were to sell the Griffon 13s, I wouldn't get the full value of them, so I'd take a loss, let's say $50, plus buying new bindings, at assuming the same cost of the new Griffons, my total cost would be $750.. That's just an approximation, but overall, I'd have to spend more money, hence, losing value.

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
So I could get the Enforcers with Look SPX 12 bindings, mounted for $700... decisions decisions

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The biggest issue with griffons is eventually they get lose after about 50-70 days...but I am guess I put a ton more force though a binding than an average skier.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
The Look SPX12 is a better binding. For one more dollar you get a better binding and don't have to pay for mounting. What's to think about?

TS
T

Tim

Booting up
Skier
Alright, I got a pair of flats for $530 + s&h, I can get Pivot SPX 12 for $120, $30 to mount... Not a bad deal. I figured I had to buy it before they were sold. I can always resell if I decide not to keep them

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The biggest issue with griffons is eventually they get lose after about 50-70 days...but I am guess I put a ton more force though a binding than an average skier.

The biggest issue is that on a powder day I spend 10 or 15 minutes trying to get into my stupid Griffon binding. Never again.

... It *is* weird, though. The demo Griffons I have on my powder skis aren't nearly as bad.

Sponsor

Staff online