• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Sure, but that's showing the moment of the touch... she has to be onside the moment of that touch.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^
Sure, but that's showing the moment of the touch... she has to be onside the moment of that touch.
I can't be 100% certain there isn't already any space between the ball and the passer's foot. No indisputable proof the ball hasn't already left her foot. It could definitely be called either way.. leave it as called on the field.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The girls best refocus their energies for Sunday's final. They have been gritty but also sloppy giving a lot of balls away. I'd like to see them play the final the way I know they can play and really earn this Cup.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
What happened to Lavelle, she was playing well early?
She did something to her hamstring and got subbed out. No news afaik, but we heard nothing about Rapinoe even when she didn't dress for the game.

VAR and goalies - it's totally fine now. They're not cheating.
Yeah the toughest is if it's small contact. The English player totally wiffed on the ball. Did she wiff because of slight contact with the other foot? Doubt it.

Mexico - Haiti last night should have had VAR for that penalty.

VAR isn't ruining soccer, diving and histrionics has been ruining soccer for years. Men's game is a joke, women's game is catching up. They're flopping around like they'll never walk again, then they're up running wind sprints a minute later.
They've even corrupted NHL players who now dive and act like they got shot.

England got rough play thrown right back at them. They attempted to follow Spains lead and pound Morgan. Jill Scott was complainer in chief of the England team.

I hate the end of game going into the corner. Doing that with nearly ten min to go seems dumb when there's space to go to goal.

Miller Lite is giving away 100,000 free beers because U.S. beat England in World Cup
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-usa-england-miller-budweiser-bet/1634889001/

Basically because Budweiser is an official sponsor of the England Women's team and they offered it if they won. Which is shameful - sponsoring a foreign team with lousy beer.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
diving and histrionics has been ruining soccer for years.

As I've said before... suspend people for diving based on post-game replay! Probably won't help the histrionics though, when there is some contact.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
VAR and goalies - it's totally fine now. They're not cheating.
Yeah the toughest is if it's small contact. The English player totally wiffed on the ball. Did she wiff because of slight contact with the other foot? Doubt it.

VAR isn't ruining soccer, diving and histrionics has been ruining soccer for years. Men's game is a joke, women's game is catching up. They're flopping around like they'll never walk again, then they're up running wind sprints a minute later.
They've even corrupted NHL players who now dive and act like they got shot.

I hate the end of game going into the corner. Doing that with nearly ten min to go seems dumb when there's space to go to goal.

That call leading to the PK was poor. Much like the goal scored in a prior match becoming an own goal. They both had no real effect on the play.
These type reviews are different than an off side leading directly to a goal on a VAR which is black and white. Players and fans alike will be increasingly irritated as time go on.

Seeing the women's game becoming more like the men's has been for decades will force me away from watching it soon. Just like I stopped watching Mens WC in the '90's.

The corner game stall in the late minutes reminds me too much of college basketball's final two minutes. Which is part of what lend me to drop basketball from my viewing time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Perhaps totally ignoring the diving party would also reduce the incidence. If it's the offensive player, just keep play going on and call them offsides if their team gets the bakk back anywhere near them before they get their ass up and back in to the game. If it's the defensive player, and they get scored n while rolling on the ground good. Maybe then only legit injured people will be rolling on the ground sreaming.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
VAR dive? Red card.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So long as the potential gain is greater than the loss, the diving will continue to flourish.
It will drive fans away however.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So long as the potential gain is greater than the loss, the diving will continue to flourish.
That's why I suggest using post-game replay to punish divers... it starts to move the loss more into "definite", rather than "potential".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Save of the game right there by the Swede keeper

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Well, that was intense! Not very good, but intense.
We needed about 70 minutes to gain control of the match. Glad the Swedes didn't score during that time. We were very liucky, I think they deserved a goal. Aftre 70 minutes, we -the Dutch - got stronger and stronger and the individual quality of some players worked. Jackie Groenen's goal was a very nice one.

I don't think we stand a chance in the final against the US. But I am proud of the Dutch team. They worked hard and it paid off.

See you next Sunday.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Only people who aren't real fans. Anyone who gets upset at a little diving in football probably isn't hefted to the sport anyway. And there are billions worldwide to pick up the slack.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Only people who aren't real fans. Anyone who gets upset at a little diving in football probably isn't hefted to the sport anyway. And there are billions worldwide to pick up the slack.

It's the real fans of football who should be the most upset by the theater works going on, ruining a great game. The general public just thinks it's another version of pro wrestling.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Glad Sweden and the Netherlands mowed the lawn for two hours. I only saw the last ... 75 min. Congrats to the Orange! I hope Aslanni of SWE isn't seriously injured. They carried her off in a stretcher.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If we're going to praise diving as an important aesthetic of the game might as well praise the best!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
That was a weird video.... the first half wasn't really showing any diving. Went down a little too easy sometimes, but there was real contact. Then the second half was some terrible diving and over-acting. Maybe that was meant to show how he'd changed over time?

This was maybe the most infuriating over-acting I remember seeing.... granted, the opponent shouldn't have kicked the ball at him, but the fake "oh god I've been shot in the face" acting should have gotten Rivaldo suspended for a game IMO.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
These days a slight grazing hand to the face and they act like they got hit by Mike Tyson.
It can be hard to tell on video sometimes the actual impact. It becomes a Zapruder film study.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
To stop the diving and histrionics, all you have to do is stop rewarding the behavior.

I remember watching a men’s WC match a few years ago with an American ref who kept waving to players to get up and keep playing. The only fouls he called were obvious ones. After 10 or 15 minutes, both sets of players understood what was going on, and they stopped most of the nonsense and just got on with the game.

It really is that simple.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep, just don't stop play over that crap... If they miss an assignment and get scored on while rolling around on the ground like a toddler throwing a tantrum too bad. And if the ball goes back in their direction call them offsides if they actually are.. hahaha..

Sponsor

Staff online