• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, I saw that brew haha about them going to scout out the hotel or whatever. Whatever puts butts in the seats and pushing ratings over the top is fine with me. I also still like pro wrestling though..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Did I just hear that Rapinoe is NOT starting????? Is this rigged???

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Megan Rapinoe is not starting for the US! Christen Press to start instead.

Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe there was something in the matchup on that left side they see. Rapinoe hasn't been great 1 on 1, but has been clutch on free kicks and pk's. She's also been a stable leader.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
ENG was stronger than I expected and the US really didn't play a great game. Couple of big saves but they could have easily gone down.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah that was too close. Way too much giving the ball away midfield defensive area.
Alyssa Naeher comes up huge!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
US sloppy in the second half. ENG sloppier. Good to see Naeher step up like that!! Bummed about Lavelle.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, that goal England lost on the replay review probably should have stood. Hell, absolutely should have stood. You don't take back something that close on replay when it wasn't flagged on the field at all. I'd be super pissed if I were them. I think we would have won anyway, but hate to get the win that way..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There is a view that VAR is ruining football. Yes it is catching the bigger injustices but the smaller marginal things are getting kinda ridiculous. The goalie for pens being the stupidest thing.

That said England sucked when giving away so much ball away in the second half so I can't be too grumpy about the result. Worse game than the CL final which is saying something though there the right team won!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya, that goal England lost on the replay review probably should have stood. Hell, absolutely should have stood. You don't take back something that close on replay when it wasn't flagged on the field at all. I'd be super pissed if I were them. I think we would have won anyway, but hate to get the win that way..

They've been consistently taking away those goals throughout the tournament though. They are really sticking with the letter of the offside rule.... there's no "close enough" regardless of the call on the field. It shouldn't have stood by the rules, and the guidelines of how they are using VAR... but I understand the sentiment.

Because VAR can only call offside retroactively - it can't remove an offsides that is called on the field - it encourages the refs to let more go, and consequently disallow more goals. The roller coaster that creates seems unfair or annoying. I'm kind of used to it, given it's use across sports. Hockey and football are getting the same way... it's a goal or a touchdown, celebrate, but keep one eye on the review.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They've been consistently taking away those goals throughout the tournament though. They are really sticking with the letter of the offside rule.... there's no "close enough" regardless of the call on the field. It shouldn't have stood by the rules, and the guidelines of how they are using VAR... but I understand the sentiment.

Because VAR can only call offside retroactively - it can't remove an offsides that is called on the field - it encourages the refs to let more go, and consequently disallow more goals. The roller coaster that creates seems unfair or annoying. I'm kind of used to it, given it's use across sports. Hockey and football are getting the same way... it's a goal or a touchdown, celebrate, but keep one eye on the review.
I don't think the replays showed 100% definitively that England was offsides when the pass was initiated. It was too close to make that decision..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think the replays showed 100% definitively that England was offsides when the pass was initiated. It was too close to make that decision..

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree... this is the view they showed on the broadcast. Seems clear to me - it's a matter of inches, but I think it's enough.

upload_2019-7-2_19-5-5.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^The ball has already been touched by the other England player and headed her direction. If the ball had not yet hit the foot of the England player in the middle it might have been offsides. Once that pass is initiated, touched she can break past the defenders.

Sponsor