• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women's Soccer World Cup 2019

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From that SI article linked above.
——————-
“The players have also drawn explicit support from men's players, who seem to reject the idea that “market realities” ought to justify USSF not paying women players higher wages. The U.S. National Soccer Team Players Association released a statement on Friday that it “fully supports” USWNT players achieving both equal pay and equal distribution of attributable revenue. Further, it is “committed to the concept of a revenue-sharing model” to sustain more equitable compensation–perhaps along the lines of what was achieved by the Norwegian federation in October 2017. “

I think this is interesting, and wonderful ... I seem to remember that the last time this happened, there were some non-supportive comments from some members of the men's team. But I'm not entirely sure and don't have time to look it up. It's worth noting that the current men's team is quite young, and the team back in 2015 (or 16 or whatever) consisted of much older veterans. Progress? (Or a new marketing guru?) Anyway, it makes me think of Andy Murray and his status as a feminist icon!

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Andy Murray and his status as a feminist icon!
Didn’t know that. I loathe watching him on court. Playing mixed doubles with Serena- now there’s possibility for dual meltdowns that could be entertaining.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Protor and Gamble donating over $500k to USWNT.

———————
The company, which supports U.S. soccer through its Secret deodorant brand, says it will donate $529,000 — $23,000 for each of the 23 players on the U.S. team that won the World Cup earlier this month — to help close the pay gap. The sponsor took out a full-page ad printed in The New York Times on Sunday urging the U.S. Soccer Federation to "be on the right side of history."

"Let's take this moment of celebration to propel women's sports forward," Secret says in the ad. "We urge the US Soccer Federation to be a beacon of strength and end gender pay inequality once and for all."
——————————-
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...tes-529000-to-us-womens-soccer-team/39686189/

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Protor and Gamble donating over $500k to USWNT.

———————
The company, which supports U.S. soccer through its Secret deodorant brand, says it will donate $529,000 — $23,000 for each of the 23 players on the U.S. team that won the World Cup earlier this month — to help close the pay gap. The sponsor took out a full-page ad printed in The New York Times on Sunday urging the U.S. Soccer Federation to "be on the right side of history."

"Let's take this moment of celebration to propel women's sports forward," Secret says in the ad. "We urge the US Soccer Federation to be a beacon of strength and end gender pay inequality once and for all."
——————————-
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...tes-529000-to-us-womens-soccer-team/39686189/
That's pretty cool. Perhaps they, and other sponsors, could pressure US Soccer and above to close the pay gap up front so folks don't have to chip in or start a gofundme page to right this wrong..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wonder if Mexico would do better if at least one player (per the announcer) could practice more rather than working on a watermelon farm for income. Maybe we should gofund her.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Wonder if Mexico would do better if at least one player (per the announcer) could practice more rather than working on a watermelon farm for income. Maybe we should gofund her.
All countries will do better if they have professional players.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
From a NY Times article in June:

WE ASKED, THEY ANSWERED:
108 Women’s World Cup Players on Their Jobs, Money and Sacrificing Everything

————————
What does your family think of your job as a professional soccer player?

They think that it is still a complicated dream for a girl to have, and that it is still important to have good knowledge and skills, to have more than one string to your bow.’
-Emelyne Laurent, 20, France forward

My family is happy. But we’re still not professional in Italy.’
- Sara Gama, 30, Italy defender

Initially they were against it, saying, “Girls playing soccer?” ... But they are very happy now that I am a member of the Korean national team and that I am doing well on the best team.’
-Lee Sodam, 25, South Korea midfielder

My mum especially hated my job — because I’m a woman I shouldn’t be playing soccer, rather be in an office working or married by now.’
-Francisca Ordega, 25, Nigeria forward

They support me, because they know nothing else brings me joy than playing soccer. And my income supports my family.’
-Thembi Kgatlana, 23, South Africa forward

‘They love that I get to do what I love.’
-Kelley O’Hara, 30, United States defender

What’s the hardestpart of being a female soccer player?

‘Being an amateur.’
-María Belén Potassa, 30, Argentina forward

‘I think one of the hardest things is being the elite athlete that you are, with very little to no support in your surroundings physically, socially, culturally or financially. I think that women footballers are the only ones who support other women footballers throughout the world.’
-Miranda Nild (Suchawadee Nildhamrong), 22, Thailand forward

‘Discrimination in every area, no support, no equal pay, no good soccer fields. ... We claim respect.’
-Kathellen, 23, Brazil defender

‘Financially it doesn’t make sense.’
-Ashleigh Shim, 25, Jamaica forward

‘Female soccer players get less attention, we hardly get the same treatment they give to male soccer players. We work very hard but hardly get recognized.’
-Chinaza Uchendu, 21, Nigeria midfielder

What’s the best part of being a female soccer player?

‘To score a goal! No, to play a game in a full stadium. Ten years ago in France, the games weren’t on TV. There was limited enthusiasm. Social media has helped, too.’
-Viviane Asseyi, 25, France forward

‘The best part about being a female playing soccer is proving people wrong. In all aspects of our society it has become habit or trend to underestimate women. That being said, it feels amazing to silence the nonbelievers.’
-Chanel Hudson-Marks, 21, Jamaica defender

Which player do you hope to play against this World Cup? Why?

‘Alex Morgan, to be the best you got to play the best.’
-Tiffany Darunee Sornpao, 20, Thailand goalkeeper

———————
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/07/sports/soccer/world-cup-survey.html

Sponsor

Staff online