• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Wolf Creek, 11/30-12/1/15: Pow.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Sooooooooo...I skied WC today on some 105mm underfoot Apostles. It was knee to waist deep in most places. But I can honestly say that the vast majority of the mountain is not steep enough to enjoy that much snow. We went right to an area off Alberta that we had lapped repeatedly the other day. Today we literally walked the entire way down the same slope. I absolutely couldn't budge on a 35*+ slope. The best skiing was directly under Treasure Lift. Some of the bowl skiing that you traverse to off of Treasure probably would have been spectacular, but the visibility was awful. Really hoping this storm moves on and we have a bluebird day tomorrow. There is more than enough snow out there.

The sun's coming. Fifty miles away, but snowy to the north.

Yeah, Wolf Creek is not typically the best choice of terrain for deep snows....but....I have had fun on even shallower slopes on my Keepers due to their surface area and 119mm under foot. The run out and ride up the Alberta lift would be far less tedious if it had a mid-way loading point.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I live less than 2 miles from 3 12 theater movie halls and I haven't seen any movie in a theater since probably 2012.....

Oh, I can beat that ... it's really kind of sad, actually. I think it was 2004. And the one before that was 1993.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Sooooooooo...I skied WC today on some 105mm underfoot Apostles. It was knee to waist deep in most places. But I can honestly say that the vast majority of the mountain is not steep enough to enjoy that much snow. We went right to an area off Alberta that we had lapped repeatedly the other day. Today we literally walked the entire way down the same slope. I absolutely couldn't budge on a 35*+ slope. The best skiing was directly under Treasure Lift. Some of the bowl skiing that you traverse to off of Treasure probably would have been spectacular, but the visibility was awful. Really hoping this storm moves on and we have a bluebird day tomorrow. There is more than enough snow out there.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it is the upside down snow, not the amount.

This is those flat meadows underneath the Numbered Chutes, skiers right of the Alberta chair, 90 inches deep into a 120" storm cycle. You can't get much deeper than that and it was amazing.

And this is Wolf's ski patrol in the same storm cycle from three days prior. Most of the shots are from Lower Step Bowl, which isn't terribly steep.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, nice try. It was "Four Weddings and a Funeral." I just remember I also saw "Monsters Inc." which was 2001. So I've been to the movie theater three times, not just twice. Once you stop going, it is kinda hard to start again.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As I mentioned in the other thread, it is the upside down snow, not the amount.

This is those flat meadows underneath the Numbered Chutes, skiers right of the Alberta chair, 90 inches deep into a 120" storm cycle. You can't get much deeper than that and it was amazing.

And this is Wolf's ski patrol in the same storm cycle from three days prior. Most of the shots are from Lower Step Bowl, which isn't terribly steep.

^^Yep, that's what the snow was like 2 weeks ago. Not that deep, of course, but consistency.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ah, nice try. It was "Four Weddings and a Funeral." I just remember I also saw "Monsters Inc." which was 2001. So I've been to the movie theater three times, not just twice. Once you stop going, it is kinda hard to start again.

Every now and then, my husband convinces me to go to the movies, but I would rather watch at home, where I can pause at will and watch in my jammies.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier

Apparently I gave you more credit than Hugh Grant, but not so much as to surpass Jim Carrey. Do with that what you will.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Well today Knife Ridge opened! What a difference in the skiing!! The snow had a chance to setup, which enabled us to stay on top of it a bit. We also hiked Alberta and had a blast ripping some high speed turns top to bottom. Here is a shot getting deep off Knife Ridge.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Dean when I was there I was wishing for more than the 120mm 192cm ski I had- I had. There are steep bit there are some really flat bits. would be great place to introduce powder skiing to someone especially if it was like 6-10 inches of light snow.

Sponsor

Staff online