• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Wolf Creek, 11/30-12/1/15: Pow.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
So, a mutual friend of ours, who isn't very cool (he can't figure out how to sign up for Pugski), but still cool enough to consult weather data on the internet, takes a look at what is heading to Wolf Creek. This past Saturday, 11/28, he sees the tea leaves and calls me. I call @SkiNurse @SBrown @Drahtguy Kevin @dean_spirito and three out of those four fine folks decide to road trip. Kevin decides to go to a boot fitter (only to find out his boots are just the way they should be; he then sets some kind of record for colorful language); this ends up being a good thing, because Kevin is a big guy with big skis, so it leaves more of the pow for us. It's a bad thing for Kevin, but LOL...

The evening of Sunday, 11/29, we caravan to South Fork, CO to the Allington Inn. Half of the caravan arrives in a timely manner, the other half stops to chat with local law enforcement along the way. Twice.

The Allington is nice, but isn't the Welshly Arms: while it has a hottub, it does not have archery, nor does it have spiced lamb shanks, or jackrabbit haunches.*

The next morning, we go to Wolf Creek to ski. Wolf Creek is an interesting place. It has nearly as much vert from the parking lot, to the ticket office, to the restrooms, to the lodge-with-the-cafeteria-and-bar, and finally to the chair by the lodge, as the whole of skiable terrain. After negotiating slippery stairs, we boot up and head to the chair right by the lodge.

Skiing happens <see subsequent posts for pics, video, and commentary>.

The plan after the happening skiing is to either head home, or head to Summit County to ski at Copper or sumsuch. Neither of those things occurs; instead, we stay in the area, leaving South Fork for Pagosa Springs (the weather tea leaves tell us not to leave, so we stay).

Turns out Pagosa Springs is lovely. As in "how much is real estate around here?" lovely. We eat at Riff Raff (excellent), and stay at the San Juan Motel. The San Juan Motel is equal parts brilliant (they have a cabin with four beds, perfect for lots of non-significant-othered skiers), and a bit frustrating (less-than-mediocre breakfast, and the circuit breakers in the cabin popped. Thrice. And that's because the, uh, 'vintage' electrical system couldn't handle the three space heaters that are the sole heat source for this spacious, tin-roof cabin on a single-digit night...).

In the morning, we wake up, head to the mediocre breakfast, look in, grab a cup of mediocre coffee, leave, and then get a very nice breakfast at the Pagosa Baking Company & Cafe. We drive back to Wolf Creek.

Skiing happens, again <see subsequent posts for pics, video, and commentary>.

Conclusion: I love Wolf Creek, warts and all. It has fantastic terrain (see caveats in subsequent posts), fantastic snow, fantastic staff, a fantastic cafeteria, and a fantastic bar with a killer beer selection. Just be sure you tip the fantastic staff, and not the douchebag front office (c'mon, Wolf Creek, you're better than this!).

Footnote: the drive from Denver metro area to Wolf Creek/Pagosa Springs is freaking beautiful.

* http://www.hulu.com/watch/68224

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seriously..... @James can read Tea Leaves? Who knew? :eek:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tea leaves??
(just wanted to see the avatar...
Nice avatar. I was going to change your avatar to this.
IMG_0021.JPG

I bet you're still skiing in those boots, eh?

Reactions: Ron

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice avatar. I was going to change your avatar to this.
View attachment 858

I bet you're still skiing in those boots, eh?

HA!!!
Well...since then they have many sole plates and liners. In fact, before Jackson last march they got new liners. and plates.
Well I had some new ones at your wedding. I sold them. Horrible. (were too small)
Supposedly I'm getting new boots soon.
Boots are problematic ya know.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 1: Wolf Creek doesn't report their 24 hour snow totals like other resorts. It appeared that there was a lot more snow than expected and patrol confirmed that 11" had fallen with most of that being since the lifts closed the day before AND it was still snowing. First run was knee to waist deep in perfectly spaced pine trees. Unfortunately, @FairToMiddlin & I made a wrong turn and had a long hike back to the base. Once we finally caught up with the rest of the group, we stayed pretty much skier's right on the mountain, lapping Alberta lift. Every run was as fresh & deep as the first. There was a quite a bit of whooping, hollering & giggles to be heard and endless smiles....even when, uh, *someone's* skis stopped & he ended up still moving. :rolleyes: IMG_20151130_095044524.jpg IMG_20151130_110551052.jpg IMG_20151130_110609749.jpg IMG_20151130_140255431.jpg IMG_20151130_165104007.jpg

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
So, if you date your skis n' marry your boots, and boots are problematic...

There's wisdom in there, I'm sure of it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
HA!!!
Well...since then they have many sole plates and liners. In fact, before Jackson last march they got new liners. and plates.
Well I had some new ones at your wedding. I sold them. Horrible. (were too small)
Supposedly I'm getting new boots soon.
Boots are problematic ya know.
So, tell me how the snow was t Wolf Creek.
I'm sure your tea leaf skills helped you share in the fun.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
SkiNurse! Don't paste the picture of me raising my arms so much, it makes... my shoulders ache.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 1: Wolf Creek doesn't report their 24 hour snow totals like other resorts. It appeared that there was a lot more snow than expected and patrol confirmed that 11" had fallen with most of that being since the lifts closed the day before AND it was still snowing. First run was knee to waist deep in perfectly spaced pine trees. ...

Um, speak for yourself....:D

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
[Also, I know a bunch of you out there are wrinkling your noses and saying, "That wasn't nearly a proper Wolf Creek storm, only 3 ft over 5 days?" We don't care. It was way fun, and way better skiing than anywhere else within a day's drive.]

Sponsor

Staff online