• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Wolf Creek, 11/30-12/1/15: Pow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We wanted to stamp Tuesdays In The Snow into the slope. :cool:

There were four of us, so then we thought we could spell out with our arms, you know, like this
VfmaT.jpg

But we waited for 8 or 9 minutes like that and no one ever came by to take our photo.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok After sleeping on it overnight I've decided to take that back for Dean because one his posts turned me on to the duck bacon sandwich at Incline Bar and Grill. You other 3 are gonna need to step up your game....

.. dude, your profile pic has a helicopter in it. No sympathy for you!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There were four of us, so then we thought we could spell out with our arms, you know, like this
VfmaT.jpg

But we waited for 8 or 9 minutes like that and no one ever came by to take our photo.
It's a good Tuesdays In The Snow is straightforward. I'm not bendy enough for a lot of those letters!

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Yeah, ask him if he is going to bring his helicopter with him to the Aspen gathering to cut down on that pesky hiking!

James

Out There
Instructor
Awesome vid! It's got a retro look to it at times. Like those Alta in the 70's shots. Nice figure 8's.
Totally classic how with the whole ski area at your disposal in the first shot you almost hit each other.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

MS Brown
I'll also not dwell on helicopters. The one day I did helicopter skiing was with CMH in the Purcell's. Cost only
about $80 over 35 years ago! More like $500/day now !:snow:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
MS Brown
I'll also not dwell on helicopters. The one day I did helicopter skiing was with CMH in the Purcell's. Cost only
about $80 over 35 years ago! More like $500/day now !:snow:
I'll take it for 500 a day. You can't even get a day of cat skiing for 500 anymore. A day of helicopter skiing is more along the lines of 1200-1500 a day but since the Canadian peso is so cheap right now.....if you've US dollars you can probably get in under a thousand per day just barely

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I did one heli ski drop at Silverton. $200.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
The next morning, we go to Wolf Creek to ski. Wolf Creek is an interesting place. It has nearly as much vert from the parking lot, to the ticket office, to the restrooms, to the lodge-with-the-cafeteria-and-bar, and finally to the chair by the lodge, as the whole of skiable terrain.

Protip- instead of taking the "mountaineering route" up past the bathrooms, lodge, and up to Treasure, use Base Camp lodge. It is the building right next to the Raven Lift. It has plenty of cubbies and such to stash gear, is much less crowded than the main lodge, and it is a short walk to Raven. The downside is that there isn't a whole lot of notable terrain off Raven, but it is a 3 minye lift ride, and gives you a warmup run while you traverse over to Treasure or Bonanza.

Also odd, the on-mountain bathrooms are much more convenient than the base-area restrooms, as all of the base area bathrooms are down a flight of stairs. Answer the call of the wild in Ravens Nest or the Continental (top of Treasure).

Turns out Pagosa Springs is lovely. As in "how much is real estate around here?" lovely.

Oh, man. If you are already having those thoughts, real estate is going to be what keeps you up at night, not what talks you out if it. For someplace 30 minutes away from skiing of any consequence, I've never seen a more affordable market.

Exhibit A- http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...77,36.880719,-107.905655_rect/9_zm/?3col=true

We eat at Riff Raff (excellent), and stay at the San Juan Motel.

I've eaten almost as many meals at Riff Raff as I have pretty much everywhere else in the 4 corners put together. The goat and Lamb burgers are ridiculous, and the bear generally rocks. Don't know much about the San Juan as, well, I live down here, but that sounds like less than a ringing endorsement. No takers for a "420 Friendly" room?

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/06/...gn-proudly-shouts-420-friendly-passers/14313/

In the morning, we wake up, head to the mediocre breakfast, look in, grab a cup of mediocre coffee, leave, and then get a very nice breakfast at the Pagosa Baking Company & Cafe. We drive back to Wolf Creek.

Peak Deli for a "killer burrito" is another good AM stop.

Conclusion: I love Wolf Creek, warts and all. It has fantastic terrain (see caveats in subsequent posts), fantastic snow, fantastic staff, a fantastic cafeteria, and a fantastic bar with a killer beer selection. Just be sure you tip the fantastic staff, and not the douchebag front office (c'mon, Wolf Creek, you're better than this!).

Wolf Creek, warts and all, can quickly break you to skiing elsewhere. You start taking ski experiences for granted that are unicorns at most other places. It can takes time to figure the mountain out, and sometimes it is underwhelming to get doses of the good terrain in 200-500 vert doses, but I'd put up with much worse terrain to have all of the deserted, never ending pow days that this place is known for.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
[Also, I know a bunch of you out there are wrinkling your noses and saying, "That wasn't nearly a proper Wolf Creek storm, only 3 ft over 5 days?" We don't care. It was way fun, and way better skiing than anywhere else within a day's drive.]

We've seen a lot of seriously under or wierdly reported storms this year. We are guessing they have:
1. Moved the snow stake to someplace less representative, OR
2. Are stretegically under-reporting snow in the AM and over reporting with afternoon updates to get more people to show up the day after a storm.
3. Are doing something like reporting at the base area instead of the stake at 6 AM.

Basically, I have every expectation that your 36" storm skied a lot deeper than reported. Almost every snow day this year, I've been skiing on roughly double what was reported. On Saturday, it was more like triple+ as the official AM report was 8" and It was skiing knee deep+.

vlcsnap-2015-12-13-23h17m50s32.png

But, the other weird things is the over-reported afternoon updates. Many days, even if we only got 1-2" during the day, they have reported 8-10".

Its weird.

And all of this is really my long-winded way of saying that you picked a good storm- exactly the type I would recommend storm chasing in the future. Forget the ridiculously-huge types of forecasts, because all they do is bring people that think they have timed it for something special. Wolf will seriously overproduce and NOAA and even opensnow forecast by a LOT when SW flow is involved, so look for something that calls for 12-18" with winds from the Southwest, bring the big sticks, and have fun.

So many of the 60+" storm cycles have been forecaasted for 6-8" a day over 2-3 days. I have yet to see a forecasted 60"+ storm actually deliver substantially more snow than expected, and a LOT of those have busted big time.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Turns out Pagosa Springs is lovely. As in "how much is real estate around here?"
A former city neighbor in Maryland (we didn't know) went on a vacation there and was charmed by the scenery.
They suddenly upped and moved there. A clue that it might not work for them is they had a yard sale and
I bought outdoor stuff like a backpack :huh: Six months later it was reported they missed city life and moved
to Denver. Think twice before buying real estate. :decisions:

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
A former city neighbor in Maryland (we didn't know) went on a vacation there and was charmed by the scenery.
They suddenly upped and moved there. A clue that it might not work for them is they had a yard sale and
I bought outdoor stuff like a backpack :huh: Six months later it was reported they missed city life and moved
to Denver. Think twice before buying real estate. :decisions:

I agree. You better know what you are getting into, and if you are one for the cosmopolitan lifestyle, you had better find someplace else. With Pagosa you have a town of less than 2000 people- and they are a friendly, awesome, tight-knit group of people, but that's it. You aren't playing with country life and driving an hour to the big city to get your shopping fix (Amazon Prime is the greatest thing to somebody living 6 hours away from a CostCo). If you need to fly someplace, you have better add most of a day in driving time to get to an airport. If for some reason you need to go to a mall, well, Santa Fe is about 4 hours South. It is REALLY isolated, which either makes it great or awful.

For us, moving away from the front range is the best decision we ever made, but we are quiet people that like living in our cabin in the woods, 4 miles off of paved roads, 15 minutes from the nearest hamlet with a gas station, and 45 minutes away from Durango, that bustling, busy metropolis of 20,000 souls. We've seen 3 movies in theaters since 2012, because we have to drive home from work to tend to our dogs, and once you drive home you don't want to go back out. Mainly we sit at home, look at our 100 mile view into New Mexico, and watch the snow come down.

But, I think Pagosa is one of the greats when it comes to an unheralded, ridiculously affordable ski town.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I agree. You better know what you are getting into, and if you are one for the cosmopolitan lifestyle, you had better find someplace else. With Pagosa you have a town of less than 2000 people- and they are a friendly, awesome, tight-knit group of people, but that's it. You aren't playing with country life and driving an hour to the big city to get your shopping fix (Amazon Prime is the greatest thing to somebody living 6 hours away from a CostCo). If you need to fly someplace, you have better add most of a day in driving time to get to an airport. If for some reason you need to go to a mall, well, Santa Fe is about 4 hours South. It is REALLY isolated, which either makes it great or awful.

For us, moving away from the front range is the best decision we ever made, but we are quiet people that like living in our cabin in the woods, 4 miles off of paved roads, 15 minutes from the nearest hamlet with a gas station, and 45 minutes away from Durango, that bustling, busy metropolis of 20,000 souls. We've seen 3 movies in theaters since 2012, because we have to drive home from work to tend to our dogs, and once you drive home you don't want to go back out. Mainly we sit at home, look at our 100 mile view into New Mexico, and watch the snow come down.

But, I think Pagosa is one of the greats when it comes to an unheralded, ridiculously affordable ski town.

I live less than 2 miles from 3 12 theater movie halls and I haven't seen any movie in a theater since probably 2012.....why would I when I can watch them on Netflix or Amazon from the comfort of my couch with popcorn that cost pennies and frothy beer.

+1 Amazon Prime even if you live 4 miles from a Costco

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Sooooooooo...I skied WC today on some 105mm underfoot Apostles. It was knee to waist deep in most places. But I can honestly say that the vast majority of the mountain is not steep enough to enjoy that much snow. We went right to an area off Alberta that we had lapped repeatedly the other day. Today we literally walked the entire way down the same slope. I absolutely couldn't budge on a 35*+ slope. The best skiing was directly under Treasure Lift. Some of the bowl skiing that you traverse to off of Treasure probably would have been spectacular, but the visibility was awful. Really hoping this storm moves on and we have a bluebird day tomorrow. There is more than enough snow out there.

Sponsor