• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why is syncro skiing the pinnacle of ski teaching?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not a bad idea to have a few demonstrators on the hill at the same time, demonstrating different things - one of the teams was doing that and it looked like a good idea... you could look at the respective technique applied to multiple turn shapes at the same time, etc.

The syncro skiing though, I think it's a bad idea... the skiing is reduced to the lowest common denominator and often, the last couple of them just struggle to keep up and compensate and slide/throw things around just to keep up. It's putting on a show, nothing to do with technique demonstrations etc, just showing off the average level of skill at the top of a country's instructor establishment.

Why do the different countries support their teams to go out there for basically a dance competition? What's the point of sponsoring this show and the training that goes into it? I'm not saying it's a bad show, it's ok to watch - but maybe make it a competition at least! Assign points etc... how do we get some value out of it, for the effort and costs that go into that?

In my mind, I think simple individual technical demonstrations, demonstrating every country's approach etc, in different turn shapes and many environments is what it should be about, like those Korean technical contests... with lots of video, slow-motion video projected onto big panels etc WC-style. That would produce a lot more value I think in evolving the industry forward - together with the other things that go on there, like seminars etc.

cheers

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
It’s the best and brightest doing their thing. It shows off the team and their abilities. It looks good and develops esprit and is a recruiting tool. There is really no other thing to do to show off your skills. The next best thing are the lectures.

The ski demos are done for the same reason the Marine Silent Drill team performs;

The thing is, newer ski instructors and the public dont really care about syncro skiing.

I mean there I think the videos of people like Reilly are becoming way more relevant than these demonstrations.

Basically what it comes down to, is honestly I personally just dont think its cool, many people younger than me think its even more uncool, and I think it show tons of skills when done right, but its muted skiing compared to what the true best in the world do.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Now we could really start a major kerfuffle. What exactly is the "true best" skiing in the world? Some will say racing, but what type? Then there is free style. How about skier cross? And not to exclude ski dancing. I ain’t even going to get close to the battles of what ski teaching method is best.

I understand what you are saying. Synchro skiing is only something that appeals to a certain segment of the population. I guess it all boils down to is what are the goals of Interski and are those goals being met. It may even boil down to, hey, we’ve always had synchro skiing and we’re always going to have it. And there is the major issue of getting all those organizations from different countries to agree on something.

So things are what they are. The best way to change things is from the inside. Josh, you’re closer to that then I’ll ever be.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Now we could really start a major kerfuffle. What exactly is the "true best" skiing in the world? Some will say racing, but what type? Then there is free style. How about skier cross? And not to exclude ski dancing. I ain’t even going to get close to the battles of what ski teaching method is best.

I understand what you are saying. Synchro skiing is only something that appeals to a certain segment of the population. I guess it all boils down to is what are the goals of Interski and are those goals being met. It may even boil down to, hey, we’ve always had synchro skiing and we’re always going to have it. And there is the major issue of getting all those organizations from different countries to agree on something.

So things are what they are. The best way to change things is from the inside. Josh, you’re closer to that then I’ll ever be.
You forgot competitive mogul skiing...:snowball:

Just to be clear, the main objective of Interski, as I understand it, is to discuss the state of the art in teaching skiing, nordic, adaptive, and snowboarding. Synchro skiing is a team activity that aims to show certain aspects of each country's ideas on technical aspects of skiing/riding. That being said, many countries take this to a much higher level, such as Austria, Switzerland, etc. Some countries, particularly the US, spend very little time on it, and the Canadians are tending that way.

As far as the comment that there needs to be something for those that can't downhill, many of the demo team members are former world cup competitors with FIS points. I don't think there are too many on this board who are in the same position.

Mike

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm assuming their audience likes it and that's why they do it. Ski racing is much bigger there than here and I'm guessing so is synchro.

Ya know, I don't get "rhythmic gymnastics" or synchronized swimming, either. And frankly, I'd rather watch synchronized skiing than another bird's eye view of a guy skiing a spine in the Chugach. Why? Because I can see me doing that well before I'd ski the Chugach.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Honestly, I have almost zero interest in synchro skiing, and I'm old. I also know that it's in the opening show, but by no means the goal of interski.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, they could go the Olympic route and have each country's team walk in behind a flag bearer.

Never understood what walking behind a flag in a group has to do with running, jumping, leaping, hurling, tumbling, swimming, archery, horse riding, tennis, etc. Not to mention skating, sledding, ice hockey and curling.:huh:

If I understand it correctly from looking at past Interski vids, there's technical sessions where each country gets to demo their approach which are much more skier one by one.

James

Out There
Instructor
Never understood what walking behind a flag in a group has to do with running, jumping, leaping, hurling, tumbling, swimming, archery, horse riding, tennis, etc. Not to mention skating, sledding, ice hockey and curling.:huh:
In general that's the athlete's favorite part of the Olympics. Almost universally. Basically it's the only time you see everyone.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It’s the best and brightest doing their thing. It shows off the team and their abilities. It looks good and develops esprit and is a recruiting tool. There is really no other thing to do to show off your skills. The next best thing are the lectures.

The ski demos are done for the same reason the Marine Silent Drill team performs;

Now when the synchronized ski drill teams start fitting bayonets.....
that will generate some interest.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Why do the different countries support their teams to go out there for basically a dance competition? What's the point of sponsoring this show and the training that goes into it? I'm not saying it's a bad show, it's ok to watch - but maybe make it a competition at least! Assign points etc... how do we get some value out of it, for the effort and costs that go into that?

Just wondering how awarding points would add value.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
As far as the comment that there needs to be something for those that can't downhill, many of the demo team members are former world cup competitors with FIS points. I don't think there are too many on this board who are in the same position.

Mike

Amen! Whether you like or dislike synchro-skiing these are among the best skiers in the world, a rare breed that if you ever get a chance to ski with you will come away better.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sync skiing is weird. Yes, it is precise, and it is difficult. It isn't all that interesting to watch, but that's only my personal opinion. There are moments that it can be sort of useful in training, but as mentioned before, it's most certainly NOT the goal of interski, and it's an event (Interski) that most certainly ISN'T a competition, but there is pressure for everyone to bring their 'A' game. The sync stuff is only an on hill parade by nation before the real show which are the clinics (on snow and off) for nat'l organizations to share information. It DOES trickle down and through. I'm a huge and grateful fan of the Canadian system, have cliniced with the Japanese association (SAJ), was taught as a kid by the Austrians, and always find it interesting to hear others' take on sliding down the hill.

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
... it's most certainly NOT the goal of interski, and it's an event (Interski) that most certainly ISN'T a competition ... The sync stuff is only an on hill parade by nation before the real show which are the clinics (on snow and off) for nat'l organizations to share information...

100% agree

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
From what I saw from PSIA yesterday, I got the impression that PSIA does not get involved with synchro, except for Interski , and that they actually practiced it for 3 days this year in preparation.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
This discussion kind of amazes me. What do you think of when you think of the pinnacle of skiing? Personally I think of a person being able to perform whatever, whenever. When they can do that, they are the pinnacle of skiing. Not when they ski the way they want when they want. That is why the synchro sessions are in there. Name another task that is harder. Matching whatever the person in front is doing regardless of terrain or surface. It is the pinnacle of skiing because you have to completely conform to someone else's movement patterns to complete the task and that shows a mastery of your own movements at a level that few can ever attain.

Sponsor

Staff online