• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why is syncro skiing the pinnacle of ski teaching?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Sure it show versatility but it just seems odd to me, I am just watching the videos coming out from interski and its is great skiing by almost all the team, but honestly couldnt we show the best and brightest of the profession, in a different way?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s the best and brightest doing their thing. It shows off the team and their abilities. It looks good and develops esprit and is a recruiting tool. There is really no other thing to do to show off your skills. The next best thing are the lectures.

The ski demos are done for the same reason the Marine Silent Drill team performs;

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
And it is FUN. Fun watching and fun participating

My ski buddy is returning from bad non skiing injury and we ski mostly easy groomed terrain so doing it is very nice way to show off :cool: We were teached from same instructor and he encouraged us doing synchro in various ways - sync, a-sync, side by side, short turns, long turns, carved turns, on steeps, on shallow slopes.

As I am not an instructor I can not say if it is a "pinnacle" but I see it as great tool for learning various turn shapes and speed control.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Josh, you still have time. Get a bunch of your buds and register by March 28 for the Aspen World Synchro Championships to be held in Aspen April 11-13. You need a team of 6 or 8. Day one is practice, day two is a race and bumps, and day three is the synchro skiing. Four passes.

http://www.aspendivas.com/awsc.html

Synchronized skiing requires the participants to have similar movement patterns so that the turn shapes and speed are similar. It also requires precision. It is a great tool for refining your skiing.

Word of disclosure -- I happen to be the organizer for this year's AWSC.

Mike

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
In past years there was a day of single skier exhibitions at Interski too. Do they still exist?

Doubt there is a one of those that can't rock it.

James

Out There
Instructor
They've got to have something to do on limited terrain. It looks cool. Has zero to do with teaching like most of the demo team process of selection.

I've been wondering when we're going to see free skiers doing something together in natural terrain. Even if it's only two.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
They've got to have something to do on limited terrain. It looks cool. Has zero to do with teaching like most of the demo team process of selection.

I've been wondering when we're going to see free skiers doing something together in natural terrain. Even if it's only two.
Powder 8’s. Bumble sponsored the comp this year at Aspen — 62 teams competed.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I should see if I can find the old photos of @KevinF and me synchro - ing in the bumps.
They were very small bumps, but still...
ski_sync1.jpeg

ski_sync2.jpeg

ski_sync3.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've seen a few of the videos that have popped up on social media. I was actually watching it and thinking about the control and precise turns they have to make to do it so smoothly and not crash into each other.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It would be interesting to see a syncro team made up of members from the teams of DIFFERENT countries. That could really show off the technical differences.

James

Out There
Instructor
Given the skiing is similar to a demolition derby smash and pass- ie figure 8 pattern, the margins are tight and dangerous. Colliding at 30+mph would be bad.