• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why is syncro skiing the pinnacle of ski teaching?

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has happened. But it wasn’t Hirscher and he didn’t end up last. Mattias Hargin is a (former) Swedish WC SL racer (retired after this season) that got a wild card to FWT Verbier Xtreme a few seasons ago. He was a solid top ten WC SL skier that podiumed now and then, but not near Hirschers calibre. He came in eight in the Verbier Xtreme after having to ski a compromised line compared to his original plan. Don’t know if you’re familiar with the terrain, but it’s pretty extreme.

It's not like Mattias never competed in freeride before that though, he competes in the Scandinavian champs in Riksgransen most years (I competed there with him). I don't think Mikaela ever skis powder, in Portillo on a pow day, when every other racer was goofing off and having fun (Aksel and Jansrud were on snowboards), she was still drilling on the groomers. Not to say she wouldn't be amazing if she practised freeride, but she doesn't have time for it.

Back on topic, I agree with Josh that the syncro thing is a bit weird, doesn't seem all that relevant to what most guests want to ski. Maybe one year they can run everyone down a freeride face and we'll see how they all go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not like Mattias never competed in freeride before that though, he competes in the Scandinavian champs in Riksgransen most years (I competed there with him). I don't think Mikaela ever skis powder, in Portillo on a pow day, when every other racer was goofing off and having fun (Aksel and Jansrud were on snowboards), she was still drilling on the groomers. Not to say she wouldn't be amazing if she practised freeride, but she doesn't have time for it.

Back on topic, I agree with Josh that the syncro thing is a bit weird, doesn't seem all that relevant to what most guests want to ski. Maybe one year they can run everyone down a freeride face and we'll see how they all go.

Mattias has run NM at Riksgränsen for fun, because he likes free riding. With his sisters and Matilda as well at that time, he has always had one toe in that universe. But as a WC skier never had any time to spend on it (having been at Riksgränsen you also know that it can’t be compared to Verbier Xtreme). But he has time now and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re going to see some sick stuff from him soon. If Mikaela had the interest and will, I’m sure she would kill it in any type if skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yeah you have to a ton more adapting to snow and terrain in the east, than anytime I have ever skied out west...,,
You need to tour in the pnw. :roflmao:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
People become good at what they practice well and often. I recall thinking I was a great skier with 15 to 20 years of Eastern Skiing under my belt (e.g. Tremblant, Jay Peak) when I first encountered deep snow and some steep terrain.

The steepness was an easy mind game to overcome, although after skiing steeps out west then skiing two days later at Tremblant is always like the first few moments driving at 30 mph after spending three hours at 85 on the freeway.

The first time I tried skiing in deep snow (we only had skinny skis back then) it took me three solid days before I wasn't falling all the time.

On the other hand watching transplanted westerners at Tremblant on an icy makes me think of cows a crashed ice run.