• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In the 70s it really didn’t matter because none of the ski clothes were waterproof or particularly warm anyway.
I disagree, I sold ski equipment and clothes in the 70's and it was warm and water repellent.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Why even first time skiers have the clothes for skiing. Just walk into any ski shop or sporting goods store and there are more clothes than hard goods. Sometimes it just makes me sick when I see all the clothes for the people who are more interested in looking good than skiing well.

winkdc

Booting up
Skier
yeah I remember the 70/80's it was jeans for spring skiing for the most part - and shorts (better not fall as corn snow cuts) - my recollection of dead winter jean skiiers in the NE was they were out of their element. Today with mostly skinny jeans, not sure how that works.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To answer the OP (and I’m not sure if this has been posted already but I’m not reading through pages of posts about how it was back in the 70’s):

On the website for most ski resorts they have info for new skiers, not only about orienting to the ski area but also choosing appropriate clothing. Overall people are better informed and better prepared about clothing, not only about skiing but about hiking and other outdoor recreational activities.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
On the website for most ski resorts they have info for new skiers, not only about orienting to the ski area but also choosing appropriate clothing. Overall people are better informed and better prepared about clothing, not only about skiing but about hiking and other outdoor recreational activities.

I'm actually wondering how much of it is due to the perceived novelty of being outdoors in the winter.

I mean gamers and YouTubers and IG influencers are more likely to treat seeing snow as something unusual, you know?

I'm actually feeling direct opposite to @Uncle-A on this, sorry. Looking good is worth it, in itself, for oneself. It's on the same self-pampering level as actually visiting a tourist attraction instead of being fine with looking at postcards.

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
Saw a skier in jeans and jean jacket today with gauntlet work gloves. Was to scared to take a picture as I thought I might get rolled!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Those guys are wearing jeans.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 7.06.47 PM.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^Those guys also put relatively new STHs on ancient Salomon Streetracers - which is a hipsterish type of admirably kooky.

I hated those skis - but I admire the style :D

Too bad the other guy didn't go Rockerflex on his 4800s just for S&Gs.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
3) Increase of knowledge that ski pants are expected via the internet

4) Social media with everyone knowing their ski trip is going to be seen online and wanting to look the part for Facebook and the gram.

I would say that it's this combination. My son's friends all buy clothing for boarding/skiing even though they don't own boots! They also stop to take Snapchat and Instagram photos pretty much all day long! On the bright side ... they were up visiting last weekend and I was able to empty out my closets quite a bit as the girls were happy to accepts ski pants that I bought on sale but don't like!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I saw 4 guys skiing together today in jeans. I was cold just looking at them.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I looked for jeans look-a-like ski pants a while back so I can annoy the locals "damn can't-ski-tourist is on double diamond again and he's gonna scrape away all the snow, tabanak!". But apparently those aren't a thing anymore.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Jeans are terrible to ski in. Did it for many years. Give the human race some credit, they learned. Didn’t take the internet. Spring is the worst, you just end up soaked. For the price of gaiters you can get cheap nylon outdoor pants good for general snow activities.
Why not ask why don’t people use Duofold cotton thermal under wear anymore. Even worse.

View attachment 93350
As seen in Assspen recently (photo credit: my bro)
So much better than jeans. Skiing is just another fashion opportunity.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online