• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
I noticed the other day that no one, I mean no one skis in jeans. When I started skiing, almost every beginner wore jeans. NoW it's like everyone's dressed the part.

What happened where even for 1st time skiers are in ski pants? And where can I get a set of gaiters to ski in jeans?

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What happened to "Cheney skis in jeans" stickers for that matter? I've seen the odd "Trump skis in jeans" one but nowhere near as many as the old Dick ones

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
amazon - answer to both questions

I think we sometimes forget the role the internet plays today, because we’re a generation that uses and depends on it. Not only are there unlimited sources to purchase from, like Amazon, but the unlimited resources to research and understand what’s appropriate, necessary, gain a sense of the upcoming experience, etc. In the past, absent an experienced skier to prep you, folks just showed up in whatever they had handy, wide-eyed and ready to make the leap.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Fleece shorts and gaiters are better than jeans. White long cotton underwear under jeans was my day one ski attire. Soaked up moisture like a sponge. Went to Army Navy store and bought nylon snow bibs. Learned how to arrest a slide the next time I went skiing as I would pickup speed after falling.

You can buy modern ski wear with that old jeans look .

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we sometimes forget the role the internet plays today, because we’re a generation that uses and depends on it. Not only are there unlimited sources to purchase from, like Amazon, but the unlimited resources to research and understand what’s appropriate, necessary, gain a sense of the upcoming experience, etc. In the past, absent an experienced skier to prep you, folks just showed up in whatever they had handy, wide-eyed and ready to make the leap.

There’s a cheap brand of skiwear from Amazon called Wantdo (weird name) that many first timers are wearing for lessons. I see it everywhere, so clearly these people are doing some Amazon searches.

6191074C-5423-48D4-B55E-5787DAA2A941.png

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Why would you want to? They get cold and wet. Is this for a costume?

It's not like it get cold here like when I was a kid skiing in jeans. And for me, it's just easier... I'd just like some gaiters to keep snow from getting in my boots... but those old nylon gaiters for the boots, we skied with as kids seem to be no where to be found.

I still don't understand where all these people out for the 1st time are getting snow pants.. I can't imagine they're buying them just to try skiing. Maybe I'm wrong.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I still don't understand where all these people out for the 1st time are getting snow pants.. I can't imagine they're buying them just to try skiing. Maybe I'm wrong.

If they are familiar with thrift shops, then they can find ski jackets and pants there. High quality used ski pants are priced $6.00 to $20 in New England thrift shops. Ski jackets are a little higher.

But honestly, I don't think that many newbies do that. They either have the available cash to buy a partial kit, or they borrow from friends.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I noticed the other day that no one, I mean no one skis in jeans. When I started skiing, almost every beginner wore jeans. NoW it's like everyone's dressed the part.

What happened where even for 1st time skiers are in ski pants? And where can I get a set of gaiters to ski in jeans?
P1249360 crop.jpg

As seen in Assspen recently (photo credit: my bro)

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OR makes a lot of gaiters. I’ve still got a pair of RM low gaiters I’ve had for quite a while. Great for hiking or biking in weather, but those would be too short for ski boots. Of course the make ones that are significantly taller.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I've ever skied in jeans, going back to 1990 or so. Even as a kid I had some cheap waterproof pants to wear for playing in snow. For a lot of years I skied in base-layer bottoms of some kind and waterproof track pants, with maybe sweat pants under if it was really cold. I did have an actual ski jacket though.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Skied in jeans all through the 70's. Bell bottoms could actually go over the top of the crappy Koflach boots I used. As @Guy in Shorts mentioned, they would suck up moisture through the jeans and leave my white long underwear blue. I finally wised up and got blue long underwear.

I still occasionally see jeans on the ski hill. Even at Deer Valley. @Doug Briggs - I need to hit Aspen more often.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

While I have grown to use and depend on it, I'm of an earlier generation that predates the internet. My first ski experience was indeed in blue jeans, sprayed with Scotchguard. It didn't work for shit and I was wet and cold. I sought out a cheap pair of ski pants at the sporting goods chain store prior to my next outing.

Two weekends ago, I visited Sunrise Park in Arizona and contrary to the OP's experience, I was surprised at the amount of throwback clothing I saw, including blue jeans.

An experienced skier could get away with blue jeans and gaiters. Some sort of fashion statement I suppose. As long as the unexpected doesn't happen. I prefer to be prepared for the unexpected, especially in the mountain winter environment.

Sponsor