• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome EpicSki Migrants

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
BTW, in case you haven't picked up on it yet, @Philpug and @Tricia live in Reno. I am sure they will give you the low-down on living in Reno. I can tell you where Costco, Trader Joe's, the Airport, and Naan & Kabob* are. Not much else.

Actually know Reno stores etc much better than Roseville or Sac from past trips than Calif even though we live in CA !

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yup. That's why we have also included Reno on our list. We are 2 years out and looking at Bend, Oregon because BACHELOR and nice town, great summer options, decent hospital. Flagstaff because great town, close proximity to Utah and Colorado.

Population of Bend has exploded from 15k to 90k in past 20 years -not sure that's a good thing.
Outdoor amenities and skiing though are fine.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Were looking at the Nevada side of Tahoe as well........Reno, Genoa, Gardnerville, Washoe Valley, etc....
If you're seriously thinking about the Nevada side of things and considering Reno, come visit us. We'd love to show you around.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're seriously thinking about the Nevada side of things and considering Reno, come visit us. We'd love to show you around.
Would be delighted to take you up on that. Thank you. The wife is a little familiar with Reno from her trips to Fallon and a few visits to Squaw. I've never been. I will certainly make contact with you and Phil when we head out that way. We've just been shopping online and researching areas that way. We definitely want to get out and do some scouting. We will either end up somewhere around the Wasatch or Tahoe.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would be delighted to take you up on that. Thank you. The wife is a little familiar with Reno from her trips to Fallon and a few visits to Squaw. I've never been. I will certainly make contact with you and Phil when we head out that way. We've just been shopping online and researching areas that way. We definitely want to get out and do some scouting. We will either end up somewhere around the Wasatch or Tahoe.
I think you could be pleasantly surprised how nice the NW edge of Reno can be.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are in SLC right now and I will tell you,we cannot wait to get home. There is a huge difference between Salt Lake and Reno, especially in the summer. Utah gets horrible inversions and the fog just sits on the city. Want to compare lakes? A Salt Lake verses Lake Tahoe? No comparison ;)
The cost of living is also less in Reno too.. Come look before prices go back through the roof. If you want a bit of culture, SF is a short 3 hours away...9 with traffic

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are in SLC right now and I will tell you,we cannot wait to get home. There is a huge difference between Salt Lake and Reno, especially in the summer. Utah gets horrible inversions and the fog just sits on the city. Want to compare lakes? A Salt Lake verses Lake Tahoe? No comparison ;)
The cost of living is also less in Reno too.. Come look before prices go back through the roof. If you want a bit of culture, SF is a short 3 hours away...9 with traffic

Utah is more about the snow than it is Salt Lake. That and it is more centrally located to so much great skiing. There are some nice reservoirs east of park city and south of midway with the Provo river. We've even been looking over on the south side of the Wasatch. I really like the Brighton/Solitude area but you can't have domesticated animals in the cottonwood canyons due to it being the Salt Lake watershed. I'm not interested in being in a "city". I've spent the better part of my life in and around Detroit. I travel a lot for work but it's usually to another city or outlying area in close proximity to a large city. Two winters ago I was in Long Beach CA which worked out well and I got to get in a bunch of skiing at Mt. High, Big Bear, Snow Summit, and Mammoth. I even hit Taos on the way home and caught it on closing weekend. I presently have a bunch of associates out in Reno right now installing equipment in that new battery plant Tesla is building out there. I had some health issues to deal with or I would've likely made a move to get on that project. I committed to something local and more free time friendly so I could get everything taken care of. Now that it's all done I am about to start training again to get my ass back in shape.

We will be looking to make our move in two years time. I still have one school age child here who is just wrapping up his sophomore year in high school. Once he is done with high school I am out of here. My retirement will come in just about the same time frame. It's time for lots of skiing, flying, fishing, some travel, and lots of time with the (11 so far) grand kids in a mountain ranch setting where I can teach them all the things they need to know to survive.....and of course, ski!! So we're looking at taking some time over the next couple of years to scout it all out and make a decision with regards to exactly where we want to buy. We have 3 kids in MI, I in Vegas, 1 in Texas, and 1 in Colorado. My youngest may follow us West. We shall see.

Sponsor