• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome EpicSki Migrants

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My real name is Phil. I think I'll hold on to my current handle. At the last Gathering the resident Phil called me re-Phil, but that just doesn't turn my crank (or my key).
How about Full-Phil?
:D

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wife and I have been looking at properties (online only for the moment) in Truckee. Expect to get out there later this year and do some scouting. Torn between Utah and Tahoe...... Love it there, just worry about the California tax trap........
California taxes are for real, if you have taxable income. Do your homework on that one. That said, I love Truckee. True small town, but gigantic tax base means good services. And Reno is only 30 minutes away if you need "big city" things. Don't look past Donner Lake. A beautiful place, in the city limits with city services, but feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. Even though 1-80 is a few hundred yards above. More affordable than Tahoe Donner. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reno is a totally different vibe, but it is civilized. Some of those other places . . .
BTW, in case you haven't picked up on it yet, @Philpug and @Tricia live in Reno. I am sure they will give you the low-down on living in Reno. I can tell you where Costco, Trader Joe's, the Airport, and Naan & Kabob* are. Not much else.

*Naan & Kabob: Manages to cover a wide spectrum of Greek, Balkan, Lebanese, Israeli, and other Mediterranean cuisines, yet does it very well, and inexpensively. In an old Pizza Hut. A real jewel.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
California taxes are for real, if you have taxable income. Do your homework on that one. That said, I love Truckee. True small town, but gigantic tax base means good services. And Reno is only 30 minutes away if you need "big city" things. Don't look past Donner Lake. A beautiful place, in the city limits with city services, but feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. Even though 1-80 is a few hundred yards above. More affordable than Tahoe Donner. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

The wife grew up in California and spent the last ten years of her career in San Diego. Her folks are still there. We're getting ready to retire here in the next couple of years and our money is well sheltered. Whether I continue to work or not is up in the air. I doubt it, but I'm not resistant to taking on a project or two a year depending on scope and duration. We shall see........The mountain house will be one of two residences, large, likely with horses, and set up for the family to enjoy. We have 11 grandchildren....so far.....

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The wife grew up in California and spent the last ten years of her career in San Diego. Her folks are still there. We're getting ready to retire here in the next couple of years and our money is well sheltered. Whether I continue to work or not is up in the air. I doubt it, but I'm not resistant to taking on a project or two a year depending on scope and duration. We shall see........The mountain house will be one of two residences, large, likely with horses, and set up for the family to enjoy. We have 11 grandchildren....so far.....
Cool. What do you do for a living?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I manage the installation, relocation, and refurbishment of large metal stamping processes for manufacturers; primarily the automakers and their suppliers. I do the occasional engine or transmission plant too, but mostly presses.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Here's an example......

IMG_3652.JPG

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cool. My father worked at the Ford transmission plant in Indianapolis his entire adult life. Not in the plant itself, but he might have signed off on paying you if you ever did any work there . . .
I've not been in that facility.......

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier