• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
What's the chance that UP Michigan resorts stay open these next two weeks?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the chance that UP Michigan resorts stay open these next two weeks?

Unless they are south facing, I bet the snow will be fine.
But between corona and general lack of customers in spring, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in the towel.

Last edited:

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like Big Powderhorn is closing shop, too bad. A few others in the area still saying they are staying open. With potentially a major snowstorm headed their way this Friday I'd love to get up there.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lutsen says they are staying open. But, as we saw this weekend out west, that can change in a few hours.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big Snow just sent out a blast email saying "We Are Open" and later saying it's been a very tough decision but for now are sticking to it.

Whitecap is open but it's last day is this Sunday. Could be rainy on Wed>Thurs but some models still showing chance for 6"-8" of snow following brief rain come Thursday night in the UP.

Torn right now with various decisions, but certainly liking the option of driving up north to ski for 3 or 4 days this weekend.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lutsen says they are staying open. But, as we saw this weekend out west, that can change in a few hours.

I would not recommend driving to any ski areas right now. TRUST ME. Lutsen could close at a moments notice.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Was wondering if you went out to Montana. Sorry for all the closures.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
We made it out to Big Sky just in time, well maybe two days early since they got a foot a few days after I left. We had a blast, no new snow but perfect weather and for the first 2 of 3 days the snow conditions were great.

I've skied a bunch of tough resorts around the world and jesus Big Sky ranks up there with any of them for challenge. Took the tram a few times, would have loved to more but usually a long wait and was closed for wind at times. But there are some ridiculous steeps off it. I skied down two double diamonds including Gullies 1 on the front side. Conditions were so windy and wind groomed/packed that one slip up and you were sliding 1,000 feet. Big sigh of relief when I was down it haha.

Wife loved it too, she was brave enough to ski down the back side off the tram into Liberty Bowl. She killed it, only her second time skiing out west and she's usually a blue skier.

Some pics of Big Sky. Lone Peak Tram with the Gullies looming on the left front face. We saw a guy bite it down the Big Couloir, just under and right where the tram lines meet the mountain on the horizon and cartwheel down the whole way. Super scary, we looked down from tram and he was sitting up moving his arms, but I don't think he'll be skiing for awhile.
Ty1eD9H.jpg

View off the back of the peak. Was so clear you could see (100?) miles to the Teton Range. Zoom in to see Grand Teton Peak.
3dYx3Wv.jpg

Another view of Lone Mountain after coming down the Gullies 1 run. Legs were still a bit shaky at this point with nerves.
3zbxOpV.jpg

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
We made it out to Big Sky just in time, well maybe two days early since they got a foot a few days after I left. We had a blast, no new snow but perfect weather and for the first 2 of 3 days the snow conditions were great.

I've skied a bunch of tough resorts around the world and jesus Big Sky ranks up there with any of them for challenge. Took the tram a few times, would have loved to more but usually a long wait and was closed for wind at times. But there are some ridiculous steeps off it. I skied down two double diamonds including Gullies 1 on the front side. Conditions were so windy and wind groomed/packed that one slip up and you were sliding 1,000 feet. Big sigh of relief when I was down it haha.

Wife loved it too, she was brave enough to ski down the back side off the tram into Liberty Bowl. She killed it, only her second time skiing out west and she's usually a blue skier.

Some pics of Big Sky. Lone Peak Tram with the Gullies looming on the left front face. We saw a guy bite it down the Big Couloir, just under and right where the tram lines meet the mountain on the horizon and cartwheel down the whole way. Super scary, we looked down from tram and he was sitting up moving his arms, but I don't think he'll be skiing for awhile.
Ty1eD9H.jpg

Another view of Lone Mountain after coming down the Gullies 1 run. Legs were still a bit shaky at this point with nerves.

Big Sky has long been a favorite. As you mentioned, skiing off the Tram and the Headwaters Hike area gives you an experience that is unlike most resort skiing in North America. (The only problem there is the recent crowding of the tram.)

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Indian Head closes tomorrow and so does Granite.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah. Mt Ripley closed after reopening after initially closing last week. Blackjack closed yesterday. Not sure about Lutsen but after tomorrow nothing else will be open. Wanted to head up today to ski BJ tomorrow and IH Sunday, but those plans were squashed.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What a beautiful day for ski. Fresh foot too.

1586878088306.png

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but Lutsen is moving forward with their EIS seeking a special use permit to expand on Superior National Forest land. Scoping period has just opened. Lots of new details on the proposal in this letter from the Forest Service: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/107598_FSPLT3_5289627.pdf and this presentation from Lutsen: https://segroup.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=dabcb18b54cb4976b2c51f189274a147 .

I have seen in articles and meeting minutes on the project that there is some opposition. Some nearby residents opposed to potential light pollution and noise from snowmaking activities. Oddly, the owner of the independent ski shop Lutsen Recreation on Ski Hill Rd just before the resort is opposed. He is leading a group trying to keep the southwestern portion of Moose Mountain open for backcountry skiing. I would think his business would stand to benefit a lot from Lutsen expanding and bringing in more skiers. But maybe the idea of a second base area not bringing all of the skier traffic past his shop, and Lutsen having the space to improve their ski shop and rentals look like potential losses to him.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting article about Lutsen. Twin Cities folks are lucky to have that in decent proximity. I did the drive once from Chicago and it's a haul, I really enjoyed it just not sure I'd get back up there. They certainly have room to expand with that ridge running parallel to the coast.

Would love to see more midwest resorts do some major upgrades to terrain. None in the UP have forever, Granite Peak is the only resort that comes to mind within IL/WI and UP of MI. Actually, Cascade is doing some upgrades and Devil's Head has cut an area to the right of the hill looking down at a trail map. I assume lower part of MI has, like Nub's Nob or Crystal Mtn, etc.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Listen and Granite are same company so not too surprising. Agree some improvements at resorts would be great but economics/weather have been tough on more southern resorts with more limited season

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure if anyone else is interested, but I was curious about what the grading of the new runs might be like and how that might compare to existing, thinking about difficulty and demographic appeal. I took the proposed lift data included in the Forest Service letter and put it together in a chart with the existing lifts at Lutsen. Data for existing comes primarily from @Lift Blog , with other sources (mostly my best estimates using available topos) filling in the gaps.

Look at that 43% average grade on the proposed Lift 6 on the back side of Moose! Steepest lift alignment in the Midwest?

LBO79Gv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online