• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Would love to see more midwest resorts do some major upgrades to terrain. None in the UP have forever, Granite Peak is the only resort that comes to mind within IL/WI and UP of MI. Actually, Cascade is doing some upgrades and Devil's Head has cut an area to the right of the hill looking down at a trail map. I assume lower part of MI has, like Nub's Nob or Crystal Mtn, etc.

My wife and I really have really enjoyed the new terrain and lifts at both Granite and Cascade. If I recall correctly, Cascade has additional runs cut to the southeast of the expansion they did 3-4 years ago that they have not yet developed. It's been 11 years now since Welch opened their back bowl expansion. I believe they had at one time planned a 2nd lift and new day lodge on that side as well, but I haven't seen anything on that in a long time.

I do agree that it would be great to see some of the Ironwood area resorts modernize or expand. I just don't think they get the traffic. It will be interesting to see how the whole COVID situation impacts different types of resorts differently. Over the mid-term, will regional resorts see a boost from folks who are reluctant to pass through airports and get on planes and seek out destinations within a half-day's drive instead of flying? Or will the economic damage be enough that skier visits will be down across the board for several years to come? Other outcomes? Tough to predict, but it's certainly possible (though maybe unlikely) that regional destinations may have an advantage over cross-country travel destinations and might come out better than some of the competition under whatever "new normal" we have going forward.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I really have really enjoyed the new terrain and lifts at both Granite and Cascade. If I recall correctly, Cascade has additional runs cut to the southeast of the expansion they did 3-4 years ago that they have not yet developed. It's been 11 years now since Welch opened their back bowl expansion. I believe they had at one time planned a 2nd lift and new day lodge on that side as well, but I haven't seen anything on that in a long time.

I do agree that it would be great to see some of the Ironwood area resorts modernize or expand. I just don't think they get the traffic. It will be interesting to see how the whole COVID situation impacts different types of resorts differently. Over the mid-term, will regional resorts see a boost from folks who are reluctant to pass through airports and get on planes and seek out destinations within a half-day's drive instead of flying? Or will the economic damage be enough that skier visits will be down across the board for several years to come? Other outcomes? Tough to predict, but it's certainly possible (though maybe unlikely) that regional destinations may have an advantage over cross-country travel destinations and might come out better than some of the competition under whatever "new normal" we have going forward.

yeah, I'm mixed on this but think many like me may have to hedge bets and ski more local as to take advantage of last min decision.

We tried the IKON this last year which isn't really a great deal for those in midwest unless you spend a good week or more vacationing. We've done Steamboat for years so it barely breaks even but has the advantage in that dates aren't locked. However it's a hard sell if having to shell out $3K for family even with option to move it to 21/22 season.

Maybe a good time to show more love to the midwest destinations .. but man .. midwest winter temps and humidity are not my favorite

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Midwest resorts shine in times like these...assuming they are open. Less crowds, no airports and flights, way cheaper for people down on cash. As a lifelong Midwest skiier who is like 4 years into a 2nd coming of skiing here (cause kids of age) I'm ecstatic. Already have a great trip planned for late Dec back to UP and going to try a few resorts up there I've never skied. Plan to take kids to DH and Cascade for their first times.

Back on the Lutsen topic, no resort is better prepared for global warming then them, right?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI everyone. The Indy Pass looks amazing next year if you are a MN or WI skier.

They just added Lutsen and Granite Peak! Lutsen usually costs $82 per day. Skiing two days there on your indy pass basically pays for the thing. Then you can still ski 2 days each at Spirit Mountain, Trollhaugen, Granite Peak and Powder Ridge, basically for free.

Quite a deal.

Too bad that they dropped Giants Ridge but trading it for Lutsen is definitely an upgrade.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Too bad that they dropped Giants Ridge but trading it for Lutsen is definitely an upgrade.

I just noticed today that Giants Ridge is gone from their website. I wonder why they chose not to participate this year. I wonder if it might have been a condition for Lutsen/Granite to sign on. Here in the metro, having Lutsen, Giants, and Spirit on the same $200 pass would have been awesome, but man, for someone in Duluth? I wonder if Lutsen was afraid that having all three on the pass would cannibalize season pass sales.

I can't remember if I had posted it here, but after initially deciding not to get the Indy Pass last year, my wife and I did end up getting it in the end, when we sort of got roped into (long story...) a Red Lodge/Bridger trip. We ended up using both of our days at Giants Ridge and Red Lodge, and one of our days at Spirit and Troll. Had a weekend trip planned up to Big Powderhorn and had hoped to use our 2nd Spirit day, but didn't get to those due to COVID.

With the addition of Lutsen and Granite we are almost certainly in for this year again. We won't be going out west this year, so probably would not have bought in for this year had the midwest slate stayed the same. I really appreciate their shutdown-related credit program that they have set up. Really generous in my opinion and really does remove any worry that I had about throwing money away if this coming season ends up heavily restricted.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would love, love, love if Chestnut Mtn signed up for Indy Pass. Already hitting a few of the midwest resorts on there.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just noticed today that Giants Ridge is gone from their website. I wonder why they chose not to participate this year. I wonder if it might have been a condition for Lutsen/Granite to sign on. Here in the metro, having Lutsen, Giants, and Spirit on the same $200 pass would have been awesome, but man, for someone in Duluth? I wonder if Lutsen was afraid that having all three on the pass would cannibalize season pass sales.

I can't remember if I had posted it here, but after initially deciding not to get the Indy Pass last year, my wife and I did end up getting it in the end, when we sort of got roped into (long story...) a Red Lodge/Bridger trip. We ended up using both of our days at Giants Ridge and Red Lodge, and one of our days at Spirit and Troll. Had a weekend trip planned up to Big Powderhorn and had hoped to use our 2nd Spirit day, but didn't get to those due to COVID.

With the addition of Lutsen and Granite we are almost certainly in for this year again. We won't be going out west this year, so probably would not have bought in for this year had the midwest slate stayed the same. I really appreciate their shutdown-related credit program that they have set up. Really generous in my opinion and really does remove any worry that I had about throwing money away if this coming season ends up heavily restricted.

Yeah I'm surprised Giants is gone as well. Not sure if that was their choice or what, but IMO having Lutsen and Granite on there is a better deal anyway. As a Minnesotan the amount of good weekend trips you could make with that pass is pretty cool:

-Long weekend trip to Lutsen and Spirit Mtn for 4 days of skiing
-Long weekend trip to Granite Peak and/or Big Powderhorn (they are not that far apart)
-Spring Break/Holiday trip to Red Lodge and Terry Peak, SD
-Day skiing at Trollhaugen and Powder Ridge on Saturday/Sundays

That's a lot of days skiing at good places for $199. $12.50 per day??

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
I saw an instagram story a few weeks back about Trollhaugen clearing way for additional new runs.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Any idea where this was in relation to the existing slope?

Looking at the Polk County GIS it looks like Trollhaugen themselves control just a little bit of land to both sides of the existing slope, as well as a good chunk off the back side towards the west. However, two entities that appear to be associated with the family that owns Trollhaugen appear to own a ton of land around the hill. It looks like the owners control basically 365 degrees around the hill, with the developed ski area only occupying about 1/3rd of the land.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
without adding a new lift (which I don't think they have the money to do) the only place Troll can really add a run is to the right of half rabbit leading down to the 'trollcross run that comes of the ropes far east side of the hill.

They could also cut a small trail coming off chair 4 next to Lillebaukken I suppose. That would likely be pretty short flat trail.

Hopefully they aren't just cutting a new trail through 'the glade' the runs next to half rabbit. That area can be pretty fun and hold good snow for a few days after a good storm comes through.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
New cables and chairs for two of the lifts (Jaxx/Bakky) at Welch. Noice!

Wow that is really cool news. Welch already has the most comfortable chair in the metro and putting new chairs and cables on their other two main lifts will really separate them from the pack as far as lifts go.

Planning on getting down there more often this year. Really wish they would team up with the Indy Pass...

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Any idea where this was in relation to the existing slope?

Looking at the Polk County GIS it looks like Trollhaugen themselves control just a little bit of land to both sides of the existing slope, as well as a good chunk off the back side towards the west. However, two entities that appear to be associated with the family that owns Trollhaugen appear to own a ton of land around the hill. It looks like the owners control basically 365 degrees around the hill, with the developed ski area only occupying about 1/3rd of the land.

The backside of troll really doesn't have much of a slope at all though does it? Looking at the map and having been up there a bunch it sure seems like it doesn't.

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
The backside of troll really doesn't have much of a slope at all though does it? Looking at the map and having been up there a bunch it sure seems like it doesn't.

Hadn't looked at a topo before, but yeah it looks like any new runs on other sides of the hill would be both short and shallow.

OqVhily.jpg

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
From that video Its hard for me to guess where that clearing is happening. Maybe next to Bjorkdal? That back side doesnt look like much, I don't know I guess we will have to find out.
I too hope they dont cut into the Glades or the trees that are between Bjorkdahl and the terrain parks. I went in there (slowly) last season.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Already mid July, 3 more months and ski shows will be happening, 4 months and occasional snow and cold, 5 hopefully skiing soon.

If ski resorts can't open this upcoming winter God help us all. Already starting to plan trips

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
From that video Its hard for me to guess where that clearing is happening. Maybe next to Bjorkdal? That back side doesnt look like much, I don't know I guess we will have to find out.
I too hope they dont cut into the Glades or the trees that are between Bjorkdahl and the terrain parks. I went in there (slowly) last season.

If only that glade was a bit steeper. If you can get there early after a good dump those trees can be very fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online