• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips that stick in your head

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I call my ski posture "T-Rex style" ;-)

Try starting a run by breathing out and relaxing the shoulders letting them drop, then go into your home base position with them relaxed and supported by your shoulders and core/lats. Its like punching or throwing a ball, you don't flail your arms, proper form come from the hips, core and shoulders.

Needless to say I have a lot to learn but I know this has helped me with staying forward and skiing from a more powerful position.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I might focus on this a little bit this week because I'm a mess. I just got to be the test subject for a PSIA examiner who was working with two women today when just by chance, I skied up to them to say hello to one whom I knew, and they decided they would critique me. My ego was deflated rather quickly by him. One of the gals, "oh, you are a solid upper level intermediate!" I'm so tired of being a damned upper level intermediate. In the dictionary, next to the words "terminal intermediate skier" is my picture.

You aren't a mess. You are perfectly you where you are right now. I hope they ASKED if they could critique you? Either way, as instructors they should be careful what they say and how they say it. I've noticed that when I run into one of my instructor friends, Kevin, while he's with a group, he will never answer a question about what level the class is directly. This is (I am certain) because the level they signed up for is not their true level, but he doesn't see any need to point it out to them. His rule of thumb is "walk-ins are one level below their stated level; privates are two or sometimes even three below."

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Try starting a run by breathing out and relaxing the shoulders letting them drop, then go into your home base position with them relaxed and supported by your shoulders and core/lats. Its like punching or throwing a ball, you don't flail your arms, proper form come from the hips, core and shoulders.

Needless to say I have a lot to learn but I know this has helped me with staying forward and skiing from a more powerful position.

Thanks! I have all sorts of shoulder disfunction, primarily postural (too much time at a desk), but also exacerbated right now by bursitis in my left shoulder. This means I really need to be opening it up to make room for the bursa, but my instinct is to hunch and protect. :eyeroll:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You aren't a mess. You are perfectly you where you are right now. I hope they ASKED if they could critique you? Either way, as instructors they should be careful what they say and how they say it. I've noticed that when I run into one of my instructor friends, Kevin, while he's with a group, he will never answer a question about what level the class is directly. This is (I am certain) because the level they signed up for is not their true level, but he doesn't see any need to point it out to them. His rule of thumb is "walk-ins are one level below their stated level; privates are two or sometimes even three below."
You are too kind, but thank you. Yes, they did ask me and I laughed and told them they would have a field day with me! I honestly would have skied with them all day if I could have. I can use all the advice I can get! They offered to let me, but skiing all day was not in the cards for today.

I might be one of the few who come in and might actually ski ABOVE the level I state.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I might be one of the few who come in and might actually ski ABOVE the level I state.

Not uncommon among women - but it's a tossup because women will usually be better technical skiers than they think, whereas men will be more comfortable (as a rule) skiing advanced terrain fairly fast, even if they aren't very good at it. :huh:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Heh, that's funny. I never thought of it like that before, but looking back, yeah. My experience is in tennis, though, where I'll take a private at a resort hotel once or twice a year, whenever we go. Mostly for me it's just a chance for a good hitting session (and an hour on the tennis court is way cheaper than an hour at the spa), but the pros are always so surprised when they end up with someone who can actually move and hit. I suspect I am not in the normal demographic for private tennis lessons at some random AZ hotel... lol. In tennis you actually really have computer-generated ratings (if you compete in USTA events), and people still fudge. Or claim to be a 4.5 even though that was 20 yr ago etc etc.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heh, that's funny. I never thought of it like that before, but looking back, yeah. My experience is in tennis, though, where I'll take a private at a resort hotel once or twice a year, whenever we go. Mostly for me it's just a chance for a good hitting session (and an hour on the tennis court is way cheaper than an hour at the spa), but the pros are always so surprised when they end up with someone who can actually move and hit. I suspect I am not in the normal demographic for private tennis lessons at some random AZ hotel... lol. In tennis you actually really have computer-generated ratings (if you compete in USTA events), and people still fudge. Or claim to be a 4.5 even though that was 20 yr ago etc etc.
I am not sure there is any bell curve or normal demographics related to women that I would put you in the middle of.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure there is any bell curve or normal demographics related to women that I would put you in the middle of.

lol, well, I am absolutely an average 4.5 tennis player...

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Tips that stick in your head sm.jpg

I have a whole notebook of tips I have compiled over the years. One I particularly like for high edge angles is to "show your bases to the people at the bottom of the hill". Not that I always practice that, but it is helpful to keep it it mind.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One thing.

Some times I start thinking about too many things at once and my head gets in my own way.
If I can shake it out and think about "one thing" I can usually salvage my ski day.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing.

Some times I start thinking about too many things at once and my head gets in my own way.
If I can shake it out and think about "one thing" I can usually salvage my ski day.
When this happens to me, or I am getting psyched out on difficult terrain, I try and let a song in my head take over for my overthinking. For some reason, Simon and Garfunkel "At The Zoo" works well -- probably harkens back to my high school tennis playing days, when I sang it in my head to settle myself down.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I had a major breakthrough today as a terminal intermediate who thankfully has a good stance but has had a major piece of the puzzle missing. I have struggled mightily with my tips not engaging in my turns. I mean, SUPER frustrating. Today, I took a lesson with an instructor who is testing for his L3 this winter.

There was a progression into what we did (including a hop before entering a new turn.) It progressed into a very "aggressive" "push off" with the soon-to-be-outside ski. For the first time, I was skiing offensively and aggressively, feeling like I was in control and not at the mercy of the terrain coming up. Good times!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can combine that with lifting of the rear of the inside ski and bending that knee as you push off. Good stuff.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You can combine that with lifting of the rear of the inside ski and bending that knee as you push off. Good stuff.
I'll keep that in mind as I get more practice at it. I have a hard enough time working on my upper and lower body at the same time ;) My arms--need lots of work. Good thing I can practice a lot this year! If I try to focus on more than one element at a time right now, it ain't pretty.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1. Plant the pole and ski around it.

2. Face the upper body down hill and let the lower body do all the work.

3. It was December 31, 1973 I was skiing K27 at Hunter mountain and I hit a bump way too fast and exploded out of my bindings when I picked myself up the guy I was skiing with comes over to me and said "you can't get hurt you have a date tonight its New Years Eve". So the tip was if you have a date that night don't kill yourself.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing.

You're right. I'm the same way-I just need to focus on one.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
My best tip was, "balance, balance and balance." Balance means to me better flexion of the ankles (pressuring the front of the boot) and the hips up (not staying back) putting less stress on the quads allowing easier carving and being less tired throughout the day. Balance means getting my mass in a better place (more inside) so I am using the inside ski more, which was difficult after switching from the old straight skis. Simply separating the skis fore/aft a bit more on the fatter skis helps the shovel of the inside ski engage better putting me in better balance throughout carved turns.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
There is never a time I am pushing against my skis laterally or down, in fact I would say sustained pushing is basically impossible.

Even skating is just balance manipulation. Just trying to state something I think is wrong in this thread.

Some of my tips

Aggression leads to control

Skill dictates terrain

you can go slower or faster skiing aggressively. defensive skiing leads to one speed.

dont upset the ski, just stand on it.

Sponsor

Staff online