• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips that stick in your head

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
My two favorites are also from Bob Barnes and have already been mentioned above:
  1. Left-tip-left/Right-tip-right;
  2. Ski the slow line fast.
And then of course there's the one I learned from Chevy Chase: "Be the skis!"

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
What was the tip you heard yesterday Josh?

it should be in the worst tips that stick in your head. but it was.

"dont tip your feet down the hill, you may fall down"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I mean, if you don't want to ever go down the hill and just traverse, I guess that could work? :huh:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a few good ones that stick with me. Rich Rieter told me one fabulous day skiing in Vail with a lot of people that are on this site to "turn where I want to turn" with regards to bump skiing. It's really helped me stop shopping for turns in the bumps and whenever I start to fall apart I think of it. Katy Perry has talked to me about waiting to initiate a turn until I feel the pressure build under my feet. It was hard for me to conceptualize but as I focused on it I really started to get it. Thankfully she is patient with me and knows that I need to work through it mentally before I'll put it into action in my skiing. Sometimes that takes minutes, sometimes hours or days.

Lately I have tried to just make lazy round turns in the bumps. No sudden moves. I have noticed the outcome is building pressure in the feet like you said.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Opportunity!! I think of a mogul run as a puzzle to solve -- I try to find the path that will be less jarring and to allow me to keep the same skiing technique that I use on groomers, although in 3 dimensions. I sometimes find bumps to be more relaxing to ski than groomers. Wait -- is there a sign for infinity in 3 dimensions?

The 3d infinity is a mogul. Ever two moguls.

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started trail running this summer. Had a horrible time running down hills. Lots of aches and pains, fatigue a few rolled ankles etc... th way I was ruin g was kind of like how you run down a flight of stairs. This continued for like a month or so. One day I was running down a hill and just said to my self - it feels like I am in the back seat... moved my hips a bit forward and just bounded down the next hill. Got faster and no more ankle pain all season. Didn't roll an ankle for like 3 months.

Last week I was going down a run Bottom of grizzly DH. Had some big weird moguls that had no real flow to em and I was like. Run down that hill. Weird eh?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Enjoy the turn you are in. You see so many people start the turn nicely but never finish it..they appear to be in such a rush to get to the next turn that they never finish the turn they are in. Personally, I really like the second half of the turn, it is where you get to enjoy all the forces I have built up.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going on the post ski, cerebral side...Keep a ski journal, and jot down notes from each day.

Also reset your body/mind on an easier slope after a particularly taxing (ugly) run, then go do it again.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Going on the post ski, cerebral side...Keep a ski journal, and jot down notes from each day.

Also reset your body/mind on an easier slope after a particularly taxing (ugly) run, then go do it again.
I take notes after lessons, but never thought to take notes after each day regardless. Good idea.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I take notes after lessons, but never thought to take notes after each day regardless. Good idea.

If you want incentive to do so, just promise someone on Ski Diva you'll take notes after every class (ski day) ;-)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want incentive to do so, just promise someone on Ski Diva you'll take notes after every class (ski day) ;-)
Who might that be? ;) I do tend to make notes on Slopesquad but more towards how conditions were, etc. I think I can start adding more detailed info on there as my notes. I think I'll focus on what I worked on that day and how it worked in those conditions, which skis I was on, etc.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got two.

The first is turn your up hill pole into flashlight looking down the fall line - it puts you into the countered stance with shoulders level with hips.

The second was already mentioned- pole plant back at the boot or rear binding and reach, this will flatten your skis so you can pivot them around for your turn. This works particularly well on the tops of moguls and in steep terrain

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does it have to be a frog or even an amphibious creature? Could it be a raccoon or even an old co-worker that you didn't like? What about a marshmallow? Although a marshmallow might be tough to see in the snow..how about one of those orange marshmallow peeps they have for Easter? But what if you don't celebrate Easter? Awe Dang. :huh:

I had it explained to me as snipe hunting. Use the uphill pole as the flashlight the down hill pole for the plant (stab) and since snipes are fast you have to reach for them. Works real well all over but is particularly valuable in the steeps

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Enjoy the turn you are in. You see so many people start the turn nicely but never finish it..they appear to be in such a rush to get to the next turn that they never finish the turn they are in. Personally, I really like the second half of the turn, it is where you get to enjoy all the forces I have built up.

High lateral acceleration rules! And "Ski the slow line fast", which I heard from Bud Heishman a couple of years ago at the PSIA-W spring convention in a clinic of the same name. I didn't realize that came from Bob Barnes, but if I ever meet him I'll have to say thanks!

:yahoo::thumb:

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
And a sentimental favorite: "Ski like Stein!"

Funny thing: Video (from old movies) of Stein in race courses shows little of the trademark Stein Mambo. Only the reverse shoulder around gates.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tighten the core, particularly focusing on the lower abdominals to tip the pelvis forward. Anytime I feel I am skiing out of balance, this helps me immensely.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid