• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tips that stick in your head

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the Infinity Move thread Amy talked about some things that have helped her with her skiing that have stuck with her, which got me thinking about the things that have stuck with me through the past 9 years of taking lessons and getting tips.
I have several but I'll start with this one.

Powder - Squatty was my instructor and Phil was skiing with us for a couple runs at Big Sky when I was struggling in my first real dose of powder. The tip that made all the difference was "be like Tigger". Bouncy trouncy flouncy, fun fun fun fun fun. The idea was to stay balanced and light. It made all the difference in the world and I still think of it when I get into powder.

Be like Tigger!

What tip have you gotten over the years that has stuck with you and changed your skiing?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hit Bottom. From an instructor at Mt. Snow about 20 years ago.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a few good ones that stick with me. Rich Rieter told me one fabulous day skiing in Vail with a lot of people that are on this site to "turn where I want to turn" with regards to bump skiing. It's really helped me stop shopping for turns in the bumps and whenever I start to fall apart I think of it. Katy Perry has talked to me about waiting to initiate a turn until I feel the pressure build under my feet. It was hard for me to conceptualize but as I focused on it I really started to get it. Thankfully she is patient with me and knows that I need to work through it mentally before I'll put it into action in my skiing. Sometimes that takes minutes, sometimes hours or days.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My two favorite @Bob Barnes -isms.

"Right tip right to go right, not left tail left to go right" has always worked for me.

Or, the closely related and somewhat catchier "V's for Vail, not A's for Aspen", but I doubt he uses that one anymore. ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't wait to put that Tigger reference to the test...

I think a big one for me a couple years ago was to allow yourself to "fall" into the next turn. So, let those skis run fast and flat during the transition. I would actually visualize myself diving, which would get my hands in front and my body up and over my skis. Passing the tray is another one that serves a similar purpose. Both got my mind off my lower body and I quickly realized the lower body is very much controlled by what's going on from the waist up.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
An instructor - I don't remember who - once had me pretend in steeps that my pole was a stickshift. Plant and drive it forward like shifting into first. I think it helped with getting into a forward stance and driving down the mountain, not across it.

Sing when you are scared. It works, I get so caught up in trying to carry the tune that I forget to be frightened. Of course, it's probably not as great for everyone around me as it is for me!

I sing a lot while skiing. It engages the core, distracts the brain, and encourages others to keep their distance ;-) I like the muppets ma na ma na song, which can be slower and more meditative, or faster and more athletic. But "I like big butts" and "Henry the 8th" work too, and when I really want to channel my inner badass, I sing Devil's Daughter from the Alaska segment of Pretty Faces.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An instructor - I don't remember who - once had me pretend in steeps that my pole was a stickshift. Plant and drive it forward like shifting into first. I think it helped with getting into a forward stance and driving down the mountain, not across it.

I sing a lot while skiing. It engages the core, distracts the brain, and encourages others to keep their distance ;-) I like the muppets ma na ma na song, which can be slower and more meditative, or faster and more athletic. But "I like big butts" and "Henry the 8th" work too, and when I really want to channel my inner badass, I sing Devil's Daughter from the Alaska segment of Pretty Faces.
Oh those are good tips, all of them.
I sing the Air Force fight song, I have no idea why other than my husband is (now retired) Air Force.
The muppets song sounds like a good, fun one that would relax me.

jwaltz

Skier
Skier
When going over rollers, man made moguls that are in the middle of a groomed run, or just bumps in the way, my old coach always told me to make your body a car. The lower body is the suspension that absorbs all the shock, while your upper body should stay as still as possible. This analogy I still use to date when coaching my athletes, no matter what age.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make my pole plant at the level of the heel piece of my bindings instead of the tip of the skis; on steeper terrain, reach down the hill with my pole plant.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, @Drahtguy Kevin stole mine! The other ski trips that stuck with me from Alison Gannett's Rippin' Chix clinics was: no virgins(no A-frame), press the grapes (shins to your boots), get off the toilet (speaks for itself)and don't spill your friend's martinis (stable arm/upper body position).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moguls, do you look at them as an opportunity or an obstacle?

Sponsor

Staff online