• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I fell in unabashed love with my Head Great Joys 163cm when I bought them in December 2014 and since then I've skied them the vast majority of my ski days quite happily. This season I started thinking about the fact that Head will likely make changes soon and that I might like the slightly longer 168 length and that they were starting to lose a bit of the poppy feeling. I started looking over the last couple of weeks and realized that there were exactly 2 outlets where I could find the 168 in stock so I knew I needed to pull the trigger soon. Today I stopped at Powder 7 in Golden and grabbed their second to last pair in the 168 which they are mounting with the Attack 13 binding. They kindly gave me a $50 discount on the package.

Last year I purchased a pair of Atomic Backland 109 skis with demo bindings from them which I also love but I don't love the bindings so I grabbed a pair of Attack 13s for those which they are also mounting for free this week.

I was there with my new skier friend on our way home from Steamboat and was showing her some boots they had. She picked up a pair and noted the brand which I promptly told her that she shouldn't focus on brand or look but let a bootfitter recommend good boots. Told her about the fitting process, tips for future adjustments, etc. The guy entering my order turned to me and said I should work there. Hehe.

Anyhow, I'm super excited to get on the new (old) skis in the new length!
ski-femme-head-great-joy_2018.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I fell in unabashed love with my Head Great Joys 163cm when I bought them in December 2014 and since then I've skied them the vast majority of my ski days quite happily. This season I started thinking about the fact that Head will likely make changes soon and that I might like the slightly longer 168 length and that they were starting to lose a bit of the poppy feeling. I started looking over the last couple of weeks and realized that there were exactly 2 outlets where I could find the 168 in stock so I knew I needed to pull the trigger soon. Today I stopped at Powder 7 in Golden and grabbed their second to last pair in the 168 which they are mounting with the Attack 13 binding. They kindly gave me a $50 discount on the package.

Last year I purchased a pair of Atomic Backland 109 skis with demo bindings from them which I also love but I don't love the bindings so I grabbed a pair of Attack 13s for those which they are also mounting for free this week.

I was there with my new skier friend on our way home from Steamboat and was showing her some boots they had. She picked up a pair and noted the brand which I promptly told her that she shouldn't focus on brand or look but let a bootfitter recommend good boots. Told her about the fitting process, tips for future adjustments, etc. The guy entering my order turned to me and said I should work there. Hehe.

Anyhow, I'm super excited to get on the new (old) skis in the new length!
ski-femme-head-great-joy_2018.jpg
Now you have the same ones I do, but with a different binding! I love mine too, but have been thinking lately that I need a real powder ski....

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now you have the same ones I do, but with a different binding! I love mine too, but have been thinking lately that I need a real powder ski....

I suggest you try out the Backland 109 since we seem to like the same daily driver! Great ski!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suggest you try out the Backland 109 since we seem to like the same daily driver! Great ski!
Thanks for the recommendation! Maybe I can find it on an end-of season sale :)
The unisex and women's versions are the same so if you want the 175 length (that's what I ski) you can watch for deals on both.

Or
http://www.powder7.com/Atomic-Backland-FR-109-W-Skis-175cm-Used-2017/for-sale
Thank you! Was wondering about both length and difference between men's and women's versions.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
2 years ago I demoed a ski that blew my mind. It was an SL ski by Dynastar. Dynastar Omeglass Speed ti. This was a pair of skis that just made me want to go fast. It was the first time I felt the need for speed and there's no more conservative of a skier than me, trust me. I remember feeling like I'd suddenly been handed the keys to the fastest car and it was downright exhilarating. I've been dancing with this ski for 2 years and haven't gotten it out of my mind. This past January we were in Mont Orford in the eastern townships of quebec and the ski was still there. I was so close to buying it but we had 2 out west trips planned and I just didn't want to spend the money. 3 months later still thinking about this ski so I emailed the shop and low and behold they still have it. Except now it's a demo ski and even with very little use the price is now even lower. Mine for $399 Canadian. I just need to give them 50% now to hold it and we'll take a road trip this summer and pick it up. We've been talking about a summer trip to the eastern townships and now we have a mission. I've been wanting to add a slalom ski back to my quiver for some time as I miss my redsters and regret selling them. I'm slightly excited. My cost of these skis is $316 USD. I likely wasn't ready for this ski 2 years ago but fast forward 2 seasons and I'm a very different skier so I'm ready now...................................

Here's a picture of me posing with them after I demoed them. I feel like I'm about to be reunited with my long lost love.

26734122_10155321213628014_6747683693557140357_n.jpg

dynastar-omeglass_speed_ti_fluid_x-2016-original.jpg

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Just picked up a slightly used 2018 Rossignol Hero Elite ST TI + SPX binding for 400 Euro. For technical training on an indoor slope.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I'm really hoping for some nightpowder sessions this season. $163 dropped at my door. View attachment 31687
Finally able to update this purchase with
IMG_20180419_153248214_HDR.jpg
some FT2's for $330 and pre-cut Dynafit skins for $130. They sat, patiently waiting for powder that never came, 'til I caught a storm this week @ Mammoth. Took them out for testing and they were great, perfect for me.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok so this happened today. Meier was at Killington today and I demoed and loved these. I also liked Big Nose Kate and at 92 underfoot I'll likely get those eventually. However, these at 87 underfoot are really exactly what I was after to fit the gap between my 76 underfoot Rally's and my 98 underfoot Wild Bills. These are Meier Quickdraws. Fun on the groomers and an utter blast in the spring bumps. The 166cm size was PERFECT. Chris the Meier rep gave me his card as he sold me my wild bills last year so we go way back ha ha. He said they have 1 rep in CT but they might another. I'm not sure there's a more enthusiastic person for Meier out there so I'd be perfect :). Anyway, I'm stoked these are mine and now my quiver doesn't have a hole ;)

20180421_184538_resized (1).jpg

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have lots of new ski stuff I want to brag about.. but these little things made my ski storage for summer way nicer than the rack I built last year. Hangemright ski holders, I should have ordered two more so I could utilize all of the space behind my bike, oh well next time!

20180421_150155.jpg
20180421_151439.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have lots of new ski stuff I want to brag about.. but these little things made my ski storage for summer way nicer than the rack I built last year. Hangemright ski holders, I should have ordered two more so I could utilize all of the space behind my bike, oh well next time!

View attachment 44577 View attachment 44578
What is a "bike"? I've only ever known these letters to exist together like that when there is an "s" at the end. :huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 44577 View attachment 44578
The Hangemrights are a very good product, I just could not afford them for the 30 some pairs of skis I needed to store. So I made my own.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do none of you stagger yours to get more skis/foot?
I am not sure staggering will gain much. I could move them slightly closer, I am at 7", I could move to 6" at the closest but I would gain maybe 2 spots for the 8's section. I have a whole nother section of wall to use besides I think 30 spots should be enough...famous last words.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What is a "bike"? I've only ever known these letters to exist together like that when there is an "s" at the end. :huh:
Well, the other 3 bikes live outside on the covered deck. My CX bike gets to live inside cause it costs more than the other three bikes combined.

I also went with 7" spacing on my hangers, it makes a total for 8 potential spots in that area. I only bought 6 hangers and the wife is already not happy with the number of skis I have.. I keep reminding her that two pairs are hers and I only have one more pair of skis as her and we have the same number of bikes!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, the other 3 bikes live outside on the covered deck. My CX bike gets to live inside cause it costs more than the other three bikes combined.

This house needs more bikes.

I also went with 7" spacing on my hangers, it makes a total for 8 potential spots in that area. I only bought 6 hangers and the wife is already not happy with the number of skis I have.. I keep reminding her that two pairs are hers and I only have one more pair of skis as her and we have the same number of bikes!

I'm -9 for the year; she's +2 putting her 4 over (counting nordic).

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure staggering will gain much. I could move them slightly closer, I am at 7", I could move to 6" at the closest but I would gain maybe 2 spots for the 8's section. I have a whole nother section of wall to use besides I think 30 spots should be enough...famous last words.

I"m 6" on center for 18 of them, then 8" and another 6". (We won't discuss what happens when you measure twice, cut twice and still too short.) .
:)

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Picked up my first cargo box for a cool $100 this weekend. As if the van didn't already have enough space.

0HSL900.jpg

While I don't mind putting the skis inside on the floor for a day trip, we found it a big PITA to carry 4-5 pairs of skis (daily drivers, powder, touring) on weekend camping trips this year. Every evening we'd be pulling skis out to setup camp, hiding them under the van, and then reloading them in the AM before heading off to any destination. Now they can all live up top well out of the way along with emergency supplies, snowshoes, touring backpacks, etc.

Our ski plans next year include a lot of weekends camping at smaller local hills around Colorado. This should make it even more enjoyable.

Sponsor

Staff online