• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where did they use to have the ski off? Was Chair 5 next to the old chair 1?

Chair #5 used to run up Al's along side chair #1. The Old chair #1 used to stop at the top of Al's.
Chair #5 drops off at the current top terminal of chair #1. They graded the top of the new chair #1 extensively when they put in the express quad.

This was the way the ski off used to be conducted. Level 5 and up ski offs were on top of chair #5. The lower levels are at the base. Take chair #5 up. At the top of the chair you will come face to face with an instructor while getting off. The instructor generally will say, "normal people to the left. Crazies to the right."

There were two separate ski offs. Never did the normal side. The crazies side is a verrrry flat slope with a left hand turn in it. Jean Mayer would be at the bottom calling out a number with a suffix. Each level was subdivided into 3 sub-levels. 9-back would be the lower end of level 9. 9 would be the middle and 9-front would be the top end. There is an occasional 10. Very occasional.

After the call out by Jean, the instructor below will slot the new skier in accordance to their ability level into the conga line that is forming on the side of the ski off hill. One’s position in the conga line is basically a very clear indicator where one fits in the Taos ski week food chain.
They then chunk off the conga line into groups of 3 to 7 skiers. Pretty good system.

About 10 years ago. They got rid of the conga line. Too much stress on the ski-weeker, they said. They do pretty loose group split of the conga line instead. Things were pretty decent.

The new ski school director hired for the 2016 season introduced the kinder and gentler cluster we know today. Not a fan.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chair #5 used to run up Al's along side chair #1. The Old chair #1 used to stop at the top of Al's.
Chair #5 drops off at the current top terminal of chair #1. They graded the top of the new chair #1 extensively when they put in the express quad.

This was the way the ski off used to be conducted. Level 5 and up ski offs were on top of chair #5. The lower levels are at the base. Take chair #5 up. At the top of the chair you will come face to face with an instructor while getting off. The instructor generally will say, "normal people to the left. Crazies to the right."

There were two separate ski offs. Never did the normal side. The crazies side is a verrrry flat slope with a left hand turn in it. Jean Mayer would be at the bottom calling out a number with a suffix. Each level was subdivided into 3 sub-levels. 9-back would be the lower end of level 9. 9 would be the middle and 9-front would be the top end. There is an occasional 10. Very occasional.

After the call out by Jean, the instructor below will slot the new skier in accordance to their ability level into the conga line that is forming on the side of the ski off hill. One’s position in the conga line is basically a very clear indicator where one fits in the Taos ski week food chain.
They then chunk off the conga line into groups of 3 to 7 skiers. Pretty good system.

About 10 years ago. They got rid of the conga line. Too much stress on the ski-weeker, they said. They do pretty loose group split of the conga line instead. Things were pretty decent.

The new ski school director hired for the 2016 season introduced the kinder and gentler cluster we know today. Not a fan.

Oh right! I remember that! I once skied down Zagava and an instructor asked if I was in ski off, otherwise I shouldn’t be there...

James

Out There
Instructor
Dude, you’re 2 steps away from video self assessment. :geek:

taos-020919-009-dc-acr-conv-jpg.91253

Foreground black- “God, I’m with these guys? I don’t know about this...”
People looking up- “We got enough. Who the hell else are they going go put with us?”
Guy looking at camera- “I hope they can hang. Don’t know about the end one in black.”

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
About 10 years back. When a student asked the former SSD how can they tell how she skied in 10 turns. His reply was "We needed 10 turns because we were busy talking to each other and missed the first 9. In reality, we already know which level you are in just by the way you are standing there."

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Guy looking at camera- “I hope they can hang. Don’t know about the end one in black.”

That dude is in an 8-front group.
Goggles on helmet & pastel green backpack in resort. Really?

He will be the one who wants to move up. The women in that group will hate him. Guarantee.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
About 10 years back. When a student asked the former SSD how can they tell how she skied in 10 turns. His reply was "We needed 10 turns because we were busy talking to each other and missed the first 9. In reality, we already know which level you are in just by the way you are standing there."
Lol! Very true.
Was that Alain or Jean?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m doing a 4 pack of lessons for $240. They’re good for the whole season and they’re transferable. My left knee won’t let me do 6 days in a row. I’ll need a couple easy days and possibly a day off during the week. I did 8 days in a row at the Gathering last year and by the 6th day I could barely get my knee in my jeans and I limped for weeks once I got home. Kevin is doing the whole ski week.
We are playing it by ear. We may rest one day if we feel knees or hips getting achy. The rest day would be a weather dependent decision ;)

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I don’t doubt that’s mostly true. With a few exceptions the ski off is probably more for the student than the instructors. I’ve heard here several times experienced instructors say they just need to see the students make their way to the lift. Based on my experience with athletes in other sports I believe them.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads up everybody. Some Ikon passes are not direct to lift. The ones with the large bar code across the bottom don’t scan. You have to get a new pass printed at Taos Sports which is right across from the sports desk.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A little story about ikon passes: Yesterday skiing with at Taos with a couple of guys from out-of-town, we were getting scanned at a lift by a really cute little blond liftie. She was all business looking down at the passes and scanned the other two guys’ ikon passes, but when she got to my regular local Taos pass she did a double take, looked up at me and gave a big smile and said “hi!”

Lifties profiling on ikon passes...

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I’m flying in the opposite direction because work.... would have enjoyed the gathering... next time I guess. Post lots of pictures plz

ps: and the calf strain is still healing; would be silly to ski earlier then next Friday

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will be there tomorrow with family, and Monday solo. My younger kids will be in ski school. My 11yo can hike and ski off the ridge.

Who's NOT in class in the morning? Here's a pic with my current gear from BC skiing in Santa Fe today. It's changed some from last year.

Looking forward to seeing and skiing with you all!

Attachments

• signal-2020-01-25-133845.jpg
    signal-2020-01-25-133845.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 15

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, I like to be patient about this stuff, but if I get any of this Ikon shit, I am going to go all "I skied here almost 50 years ago, you fresh little "local"!"

(That said, whenever I do get there, I'm using my ABasin days first....)

Sponsor

Staff online