• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
I've signed up for a ski week, but I'll be arriving on Sunday and starting on Monday, so I'm not sure how that is going to work out if most of you are starting lessons on Sunday.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've signed up for a ski week, but I'll be arriving on Sunday and starting on Monday, so I'm not sure how that is going to work out if most of you are starting lessons on Sunday.
You'll be assigned to a group just like everyone else, just a day later.

I, personally, will be participating in the ski off and going with the group they assign me to. I'm OK just meeting up with folks for the first morning run, and in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could also just try to organize a private group and not worry about the ski off at all.
That could work for people who know they'll end up in a particular group, or know they ski at more or less the same level, but the intention generally is not to skip the ski-off. It's probably more interesting with a few unknowns in the group anyway.

Reactions: mdf

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A few questions come to mind as I'm getting ready to head down there tomorrow...
  1. How much time should I allow to get to the boot-up location from Arroyo Seco?
  2. Would I be able to easily get 2 pairs of skis to the base from the parking lot or will it require a lot of walking?
  3. And the follow-up, is there any place to store skis at the base (like a ski locker or ski concierge)?
TIA

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few questions come to mind as I'm getting ready to head down there tomorrow...
  1. How much time should I allow to get to the boot-up location from Arroyo Seco?
  2. Would I be able to easily get 2 pairs of skis to the base from the parking lot or will it require a lot of walking?
  3. And the follow-up, is there any place to store skis at the base (like a ski locker or ski concierge)?
TIA

About 30 mins from Arroyo Seco to boot-up location if you leave BEFORE 8am. I am in El Prado (5mins from seco), we usually leave at 7:50 and get to the locker by 8:20. Give extra 15mins for weekends.

Carrying 2 pairs of skis can be done. The shuttle will stop wherever you stand and the walk from the stop to base is not that far.

I know the Blake has ski concierge but not sure if it is for hotel guests only. No ski storage otherwise.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did they remove the locking ski racks from the outdoor hallway?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TIA

Allocate between 35 to 45 minutes for the commute.
The walk from the shuttle stop to the locker room is not too bad.
There is no locking facilite at the base area.

Did they remove the locking ski racks from the outdoor hallway?

The outdoor hallway is no longer there.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
TIA

There are 3 ways to get to the bootup area from the shuttle stop:
Red X = shuttle stop, Black X = boot up (it is in the basement)
I take the yellow route, slight incline beyond the ticket windows to Thunderbird Rd (white tent and Blake residence construction), then it’s all down hill. You enter from the far left end of base building directly on the basement level.
Most people take Sutton towards the Blake (blue route) and between Snakedance, but I hate going up the stairs just to go back down to the locker area.
Green is a walkway with packed snow right infront of the Blake that takes you to the far left end of building on the basement level. No stairs.

8F260325-0DA3-4F5C-868A-C60AEAB273A5.jpeg

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe this is the most recent roll call... I'm going to PM everyone my cell number (I know a bunch of you have it already, but just in case). I will try to keep my phone on the first couple of mornings and afternoon meetups.

And here's what I will look like, with PugSki stickers on helmet and skis:

1579884964124.png
  1. @dbostedo
  2. @MattSmith
  3. @KingGrump + Mamie
  4. @Pat AKA mustski +Bob
  5. @Bruuuce + Kathy
  6. @mdf
  7. @Matchstix
  8. @Sandy_NYC
  9. @Pumba + Peter?
  10. @Dean + 2
  11. @Blue Streak
  12. @ForeverSki
  13. @clong83
  14. @Tony S
  15. @Jimski
  16. @missyc
  17. @A Grump
  18. @Jerez one or two days
  19. @ScottB
  20. @Dryheat
  21. @PisteOff
  22. @ChunderBlunder
  23. @Unpiste
  24. @Flying Dutchess + Leszek + Weegie
  25. @JimL
  26. @SKI-3PO
  27. @Gary Stolt
  28. @JohnL
  29. Hijo of an amigo
  30. @Noodler

James

Out There
Instructor
You guys figure out your groups yet?
Unreal. Come on. Or do a ski off, complain, and waste time.

Here’s one
Mdf
TonyS
King Grump
A Grump
Noodler
Bruuce
ScottB
Now, that could easily be changed depending on what people want. Plus I don’t know a lot of people.

Since AGrump and TonyS are like a salad dressing, it needs to be shaken. Or...
AGrump, Bruuce could make a group. (Don’t actually know Bruuce. Guessing)

Start of another:
Now, maybe Tony goes in this one.
Ski3PO
JohnL

Start of another:
dbostedo
Pumba

Why not ski together Saturday, and hash it out?
Idea#2: Appoint King Grump and mdf to make groups. Because they know people and are level headed. :duck:They’ll do better than a ski off.?
Maybe combine with Saturday skiing.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I believe this is the most recent roll call... I'm going to PM everyone my cell number (I know a bunch of you have it already, but just in case). I will try to keep my phone on the first couple of mornings and afternoon meetups.

And here's what I will look like, with PugSki stickers on helmet and skis:

View attachment 91175
  1. @dbostedo
  2. @MattSmith
  3. @KingGrump + Mamie
  4. @Pat AKA mustski +Bob
  5. @Bruuuce + Kathy
  6. @mdf
  7. @Matchstix
  8. @Sandy_NYC
  9. @Pumba + Peter?
  10. @Dean + 2
  11. @Blue Streak
  12. @ForeverSki
  13. @clong83
  14. @Tony S
  15. @Jimski
  16. @missyc
  17. @A Grump
  18. @Jerez one or two days
  19. @ScottB
  20. @Dryheat
  21. @PisteOff
  22. @ChunderBlunder
  23. @Unpiste
  24. @Flying Dutchess + Leszek + Weegie
  25. @JimL
  26. @SKI-3PO
  27. @Gary Stolt
  28. @JohnL
  29. Hijo of an amigo
  30. @Noodler
Forgot me @Snowfan :)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How is the RTD free shuttle to the Warming Hut drop-off? Is it reliable and clean? I could grab it at the Arroyo Seco Community Center or NM-150. Looks like it gets there by 8:30 a.m. and would avoid dealing with parking at the mountain.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
And the follow-up, is there any place to store skis at the base (like a ski locker or ski concierge)?

Regarding ski storage - TSV rental (inside the Blake) can store skis for $10 per pair/night. They can store boots too in their day lockers if you rent multiday (2 or more days) and lockers are $10/day. So if you rent their lockers for 5 days, they will let you leave your boots in the locker for the 4 nights during your rental. If you rent skis from them, they will store for no charge.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Regarding ski storage - TSV rental (inside the Blake) can store skis for $10 per pair/night. They can store boots too in their day lockers if you rent multiday (2 or more days) and lockers are $10/day. So if you rent their lockers for 5 days, they will let you leave your boots in the locker for the 4 nights during your rental. If you rent skis from them, they will store for no charge.

Thanks for the updated info. I think I'm going to go with hauling 2 pairs up and locking one at the base and see how it goes. If it sucks doing it that way then I'll use the storage at The Blake. Boots always stay with me. ;)

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
How is the RTD free shuttle to the Warming Hut drop-off? Is it reliable and clean? I could grab it at the Arroyo Seco Community Center or NM-150. Looks like it gets there by 8:30 a.m. and would avoid dealing with parking at the mountain.

Reliable as in they will be on schedule but they have turned people away on holiday weekends. During MLK weekend, they turned people away at Ktaos and didn’t even stop at Common Fire (my stop) because the bus was full. Arroyo Seco is the last stop before heading up so if it is full, you are out of luck. Maybe not too bad during the week.
But parking is really not that bad if you get there early.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Reliable as in they will be on schedule but they have turned people away on holiday weekends. During MLK weekend, they turned people away at Ktaos and didn’t even stop at Common Fire (my stop) because the bus was full. Arroyo Seco is the last stop before heading up so if it is full, you are out of luck. Maybe not too bad during the week.
But parking is really not that bad if you get there early.

OK, cool. Won't mess with it on the weekend then.

Sponsor

Staff online