• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
First, I would ask her what she wants to do. You say she is naturally athletic and as such, may have no desire to take lessons. A lot of fun and self learning can occur on short skis on the bunny slopes. Just a different option.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Hi Jason. As everyone have said, leave the lessons to the ski school.

Where you can make a difference with your experience is in the rental process.
Get a rental package around where you live. Go with her to make sure she get a decent fitting boot and skis that have a good tune.
If renting locally is not possible. Get the rentals from either Norse House or Startingate on Route 30 at the bottom of the access road. Do it the afternoon before her first ski day. They are open to 6:00 PM on weekdays. Their equipment are generally better than the stuff available on the hill. Getting the rental the night before will allow her to familiarize herself with the boots at the very least. All that will greatly reduce the hassle and stress of going through the rental zoo in the morning. She will be much calmer and relax when lesson time comes.

Good luck.

Problem with rentals from somewhere other than where you're skiing is what to do if there is equipment trouble. The shop at the hill won't service gear from elsewhere. I could see getting her boots early, not the skis.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m assuming you’re in a romantic relationship with the lady in question. Is that correct?

If so, my best advice is not trying to teach her yourself. I have seen about 3 couples try that and it ended with the learning member of the couple throwing skis twice. Not a good look.

I’d think a group or, if financially possible, private lesson would be in order. I’d also spring for a hotel that comes with a nice hot tub or plan a bar to visit because it’s a lot easier to enjoy après as a beginner than the activity itself. I get those boost cost quite a bit but if you want to get her into skiing they’re my best advice.

last part is taken care of I have access to a nice condo across the street from the village with great outdoor hot tub and pool I always use. 2 minute walk to everything in the village so theres plenty to do after. and there's a secret tuning room in the garage with benches and vices but that's another story and not relevant here but it makes me happy.

I won't have an opportunity to teach her at all the first couple days so that's for the best as she will need to be in a group.

as for the relationship... it's newish so who knows where things will be by then just thinking of ideas in case things go well and this is an option when it gets closer which would be nice.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One more thing I’d add...unless she’s a very direct, to the point person, don’t take, “no, I’m okay, go ski with your friends”, at face value. It can mean:

- I’m actually okay skiing by myself.
- I’d rather ski with you, but don’t want to hold you back.

Ask questions and read body language if you’re not sure which it is

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Jason: Listen to LiquidFeet and to SurfSnowGirl and elenmac and the other women who post in your thread.

I will now tell you what think and I hope you won't be defensive. I could care less if you are offended.

You cannot teach a significant other.
Period.
Let her take a group lesson. Let her make friends on the chair lift with other first timer women in the group.
Let a professional ski instructor teach her.
Do not confuse her by contradicting what the instructor has taught her. Even if you are right. Even if you are a better skier than the instructor.
Because you are likely not a better instructor of beginners than that professional ski instructor.
And, because you cannot teach a significant other.
Period.

This is the talk I give my first time students during the group class wrap up:

"Skiing is a solo sport.
It is not a team sport.
I didn't turn your skis for you.
I didn't make them slow down and stop for you.
You did.
Look up the hill. You skied down that yourself.
You deserve the credit for that.
No one else does.

Now there is generally a difference between how men and women learn.
My wife skis better than me.
But when she started as a teenager, if her boyfriend at the time had taken her to the top of the mountain and said "You can do it!" And tried to show off how cool he was so that he could show he was a worthy mate, She would likely have slid down the hill on her butt, been afraid, and likely never skied again.
And never dated that guy again.

There would be more female skiers if their men didn't do that to them.

In my experience, women become technically better skiers.
Because they listen to instruction. They practice. And generally they don't move on to a harder terrain until they feel psychologically ready. Which is often well after they have become physically/technically ready.
Men don't understand that.

Men on the other hand, we do stuff harder than we are technically ready to do.
We have more fun, but we break more bones.

Skiing is a solo sport.
YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO TELL YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER THAT YOUR SKI INSTRUCTOR SAID THAT SKIING IS A SOLO SPORT AND THAT YOU CAN SAY "NO I DON'T WANT TO SKI WITH YOU. YOU CAN SKI WITH ME IF YOU WANT. BUT I DON'T HAVE TO SKI WITH YOU."

That single statement empowers the fearful skier.

So, give her power over her own learning process.
It is not your learning process.
It is hers.
By giving her the power to say "no" to you.
And respecting that.

Skiing is easy to learn with professional instruction.
She will be fine.

Jason, YOU are the one who has something more difficult to learn than skiing.

Good luck buddy.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Group
Small group if available
Women’s small group if possible
Something like this

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
last part is taken care of I have access to a nice condo across the street from the village with great outdoor hot tub and pool I always use. 2 minute walk to everything in the village so theres plenty to do after. and there's a secret tuning room in the garage with benches and vices but that's another story and not relevant here but it makes me happy.

I won't have an opportunity to teach her at all the first couple days so that's for the best as she will need to be in a group.

as for the relationship... it's newish so who knows where things will be by then just thinking of ideas in case things go well and this is an option when it gets closer which would be nice.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Sorry for the bad sentence structure. To summarize: no, don’t try and teach her yourself. Yes, lessons are good. Do make après fun.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
First, I would ask her what she wants to do. You say she is naturally athletic and as such, may have no desire to take lessons. A lot of fun and self learning can occur on short skis on the bunny slopes. Just a different option.

As a Professional Ski Instructor I must respectfully disagree with where this statement could lead; no lessons. She needs to learn basic safety skills to protect herself and those around her. Those skills include the basics of how to turn and stop. Once she learns those skills then she can go out and ski by herself and refine her skills and have fun. It doesn’t matter who teaches her those skills; an instructor or knowledgeable responsible friend. I’ve seen too many people get hurt or hurt others because they’re "naturally athletic and don’t need lessons."

If a beginner takes at least one lesson, learns to turn and stop, they will have more fun and confidence. Plus they will more likely become life long skiers. That’s where I’m coming from. I want people to love this sport that I love.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Problem with rentals from somewhere other than where you're skiing is what to do if there is equipment trouble. The shop at the hill won't service gear from elsewhere. I could see getting her boots early, not the skis.
When renting boots the first time, get them at the base. It’s much more likely the boots will need replacing than the skis. It seems like there is almost always at least one person in a never ever lesson with boot issues.
Why should that be surprising?
I’ve been skiing over 40 years, and I still deal with boot issues.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
do they do boot only rentals? I could buy a better pair of new old stock or used skis for the same price or less as their rental prices.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a common theme here and that is setting her up for success.

What also can happen here is if anyone has a connection or suggestion for an instructor at Stratton, that would be helpful. Also, if it is possible to have her take the lesson/lessons mid week non holiday, that would be great. Pick the day that the weather is best, maybe mid 30's and sunny. Go for a morning lesson. when she is fresh. Do not do an all-day one, she will be physically and mentally fatigued and just will not be able to comprehend a full days worth of information. If she wants to go out after the lesson, it is her decision, Do not force her back out by saying "Show me what you learned."

As @Tim Hodgson said this is her learing progression, not yours and it is to be done on her terms. Do not immediately schedule the next lesson for the next day unless she wants to, she might want to spend a day or half day putting into practice and absorbing what she has learned. If she felt a connection with her instructor, schedule the next lesson with him or her.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Ski Vermont Take 3 Beginner Package $129

That is three beginner lessons you can use at Stratton, gear, lesson, and lower mountain lift ticket included. Stratton says you can upgrade beginner tickets to all mountain for $20.

This is a no brainer. Even if all she does is just the lessons the first two days, that takes her to lunch. Then she has lunch and the afternoon right there in the village. Day three, you can ski solo during the lesson, and then explore things at her pace the rest of the time. If all goes well, you could have a ski bunny by the end of the trip.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski Vermont Take 3 Beginner Package $129

That is three beginner lessons you can use at Stratton, gear, lesson, and lower mountain lift ticket included. Stratton says you can upgrade beginner tickets to all mountain for $20.

This is a no brainer. Even if all she does is just the lessons the first two days, that takes her to lunch. Then she has lunch and the afternoon right there in the village. Day three, you can ski solo during the lesson, and then explore things at her pace the rest of the time. If all goes well, you could have a ski bunny by the end of the trip.

thanks that looks like a great idea

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
"One more thing...show her this thread. It will hold you accountable." :ogcool:

From the Man himself...

It will also show her what a caring and studly guy you are that you came here to ask how to make her first skiing experience the best.

BTW, as part of my wrap up I also say "BTW, this is the worst day skiing you will ever have. It only keeps getting better from here..."

Last edited:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Uhmmm, something that no one else really addressed........If she's really never seen snow, make sure she has the appropriate footwear and that y'all are careful just walking around. We take for granted the ability to walk around on snow and ice without ending up in the ER. I would hate for your adventure to end early because she didn't know how to deal with icy sidewalks in front of the condo.

Also, make sure she has multiple really, really, really warm layering options. She likely will need more layers than makes sense to you and she, as a beginner, will not be moving as much as you.

I say this just having watched my colleague (from Florida) put on her down puffy/layers to leave work this morning. It's 40 degrees..........:roflmao:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
As a Professional Ski Instructor I must respectfully disagree with where this statement could lead; no lessons. She needs to learn basic safety skills to protect herself and those around her. Those skills include the basics of how to turn and stop. Once she learns those skills then she can go out and ski by herself and refine her skills and have fun. It doesn’t matter who teaches her those skills; an instructor or knowledgeable responsible friend. I’ve seen too many people get hurt or hurt others because they’re "naturally athletic and don’t need lessons."

If a beginner takes at least one lesson, learns to turn and stop, they will have more fun and confidence. Plus they will more likely become life long skiers. That’s where I’m coming from. I want people to love this sport that I love.

I understand it’s very difficult, as a professional ski instructor, to comprehend that some people may not need, or want lessons to have an enjoyable and safe time on the slopes. Many people new to sports, especially those who have some natural talent, actually prefer to try the sport on their own first, and even view organized lessons in a negative light.

I’m not taking any from the great work that many instructors do, just saying that some people prefer to take their own route.

Regardless of what we think, she still has the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid