• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Faux Pas

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is too funny - chairlift stops in front of a snowmaker. :roflmao:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I once fell and slid in front of a ground level snow gun. It was blasting straight forward about 2 inches over my head.
Took a while to figure how to get away without being blasted ( roll slowly to the side).

:snow: :snow: :snow:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_8128.jpg

Pre releasing in the first turn as the camera starts clicking.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Just saw a GoPro video (local forum?) of a huge dead Incense Ceder being cut down.
Tree crashed on the GoPro and demolished it. (no injuries) :roflmao:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I once fell and slid in front of a ground level snow gun. It was blasting straight forward about 2 inches over my head.
Took a while to figure how to get away without being blasted ( roll slowly to the side).

:snow: :snow: :snow:

This happened to my buddy last year at Alpine. Except it was icy, and his first time snowboarding in 15 years and couldn't figure out his bindings. So, he kept falling and remained right in front of the snow gun for ages it seemed. When he gets back to the lift line, a ~10 yr old kid shouts "aaaah, the abominable snowman". I've never heard an entire line laugh like that, including my buddy, who, whatever other failings he may have, has a wicked smart sense of humor.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thread mogul.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So I'm on the top of Annupuri at Niseko, the vid man is all set up to shoot. I'm completely pumped, it's a bluebird day and about 30cm of new snow. I start down.... and am skiing like crap. I stop after hacking my way down the face and realize my teley skis are on the wrong foot. Never did it before, haven't done it since. Very. Embarrassing. Cost me some beers.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Riding up the lift on race day wearing my slip skis and carrying my race skis. At the top my skis catch onto the safety bar and pull it down, which then catches the stop gate and stops the lift. Everybody has to wait and the guy has to come out of the little hut and fix it. So embarrassing.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Was using someone's 210s (yes, I'm 5'3") for the final spring skiing day at Bolton Valley. Went up the lift, tip dropped and caught in the pond, and I was flung out of the chair. Actually was quite funny!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was on the Colorado Superchair at Breck, almost to the top. A couple was riding up without skis. The man did not get off in time and the liftie did not stop the chair. It was March of 2011, which was the year of alot of snow. He jumped off and sunk up to his waist in the snow. They stopped the lift. The lifties got him out but his shoes were stuck in the snow. They had to dig out his shoes. He was laughing very hard and so was everyone else.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My buddy showed up for our level 9 class. He said that his boots felt funny. The instructor said "you've got them on the wrong feet."
They were on someone elses feet? :huh:

We have a friend that had a lesson with a D-team member and was trying to joke with him by telling him he was going to show up with his boots on the wrong feet. The Instructor replied, "There is no way I could get my foot in the wong boot and even stand."

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
They were on someone elses feet? :huh:

We have a friend that had a lesson with a D-team member and was trying to joke with him by telling him he was going to show up with his boots on the wrong feet. The Instructor replied, "There is no way I could get my foot in the wong boot and even stand."
Yeah, I'm not sure I could get my feet in the wrong boot even if I wore boots in my "street shoe" size. I have started to slide my foot into the wrong boot not paying attention. But I can't get the foot in very far before I realize something is wrong.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
This has probably been mentioned numerous times, but nothing irritates me more than the person that insists on listening to loud music while skiing with a group. They usually end up separated from the group. If they manage to stay with everyone else, you have to listen to an incessant "what?!?", every single time something is said. So annoying.

Another thing that kills me is the guy that has a helmet mount for his GoPro and asks you every run if it is turned on. All so that he can capture amazing footage of himself making ugly turns on blue groomers. :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online