• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Faux Pas

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This has probably been mentioned numerous times, but nothing irritates me more than the person that insists on listening to loud music while skiing with a group. They usually end up separated from the group. If they manage to stay with everyone else, you have to listen to an incessant "what?!?", every single time something is said. So annoying.

Another thing that kills me is the guy that has a helmet mount for his GoPro and asks you every run if it is turned on. All so that he can capture amazing footage of himself making ugly turns on blue groomers. :doh:
:hail:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Smoking anything on the lift bugs a lot of people behind you. I used to do it in the 90s and nobody complained. Nowadays definitely frowned upon.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
This has probably been mentioned numerous times, but nothing irritates me more than the person that insists on listening to loud music while skiing with a group. They usually end up separated from the group. If they manage to stay with everyone else, you have to listen to an incessant "what?!?", every single time something is said. So annoying.

I have two people I normally ski with and one of them is totally that guy. It seems every day we get separated because we'll stop, discuss where we're going, and he won't hear any of it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Another thing that kills me is the guy that has a helmet mount for his GoPro and asks you every run if it is turned on. All so that he can capture amazing footage of himself making ugly turns on blue groomers. :doh:

My new hobby is being that random anonymous guy in buddy's Gopro video. I have even been known to cut in front of buddy to get in the camera shot.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
confession time... Got new boots. 1st day out on the slopes, kept taking them in to be tweeked because they just didn't ski right. finally figured out I had them in Walk Mode. Never us it now unless it's with skins on...
This is too funny - chairlift stops in front of a snowmaker.

This can be not so funny. My step-step (don't ask) sons were on a chairlift that was stopped at the end of the day and they were left there after hours. It got dark, they turned on the snow guns. On them. took several hours before they were found. They survived the ordeal, but it was def not funny...

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Powder day at Stevens Pass. I was at my cabin with my buddy, he said he would drive to the hill. Since it had snowed overnight he went out to the car to clear the windows and warm it up. By accident he locked his keys in the car with it running.

My cabin is four miles back on a gravel road and far from urban conveniences. We had to get in my car and drive to where we could get some cell service, call a locksmith in Monroe, about 30 minutes away, and wait until the locksmith got there and jimmied the car open.

Not only did we miss first tracks, but my buddy both tore his ACL, and got the news that his father was taken to the hospital that day. Not his best day.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
confession time... Got new boots. 1st day out on the slopes, kept taking them in to be tweeked because they just didn't ski right. finally figured out I had them in Walk Mode. ..

I ordered a $50 pair of tele boots on eBay and knew they might not fit perfectly. I anxiously put them on 2 minutes after the mailmal left the box on the porch. They HURT worse than any pair of ski boots (or other boots) I've ever tried in my 50 years. Took them off and dug a little deeper to figure out why they felt so tight in odd spots??? The liners were swapped, right liner in left shell and left liner in right shell!!! All good now, need more excuses to not try tele again.. tried it in the early 80s but this gear looks a lot more "stable".

Anyway, funny boot story regardless..

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
I was snowboarding one day early season (i'm a 90/10 skier/snowboarder, but happened to have my board on that morning). I'm riding with one of my friends. I'm making regular, smooth turns down one of the main green runs on the mountain. As I get near the edge of the trail, I hear a woman scream "WATCH OUT!!!" from just behind me. I slam on the brakes, and a blue flash flies between me and the trail edge, and I feel her ski brake clip the nose of my board. Okay, now I'm annoyed. I ride after her for about 100 yards, and then the lady stops. I pull up to her with my friend, prepared to kindly remind her about the Responsibility Code. Before I can start, the woman starts screaming at me about "out of control snowboarders" and the like, and is cursing at me like a drunken sailor. A**hole, Sh**head, F**king lunatic, you name it, this 40-something woman is hurling a stream of insults and invective at me. For about thirty seconds.

That's when I reach up to the collar of my uniform jacket, past the shiny gold nametag that says "Supervisor" on it, to the radio mic clipped there. I reach down, switch frequencies to the Patrol channel, and inform patrol that they need to meet me at the bottom of the lift. I tell the lady I'm going to follow her down. We're low enough on the mountain, so there's only one place she can go, down to the main base area. She tries to tell me not to follow her. I remind her there is only one place to go from here, so that's where I'm going anyways. I ride down with her, and there are two patrollers there. I tell them what happened, and my friend (also in full uniform) confirms the story. The wire cutters come out, the ticket gets snipped, and she's kindly asked to leave the property. The ticket was a 4 day ticket. It was 9:30AM on day one.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I ordered a $50 pair of tele boots on eBay and knew they might not fit perfectly. I anxiously put them on 2 minutes after the mailmal left the box on the porch. They HURT worse than any pair of ski boots (or other boots) I've ever tried in my 50 years. Took them off and dug a little deeper to figure out why they felt so tight in odd spots??? The liners were swapped, right liner in left shell and left liner in right shell!!! All good now, need more excuses to not try tele again.. tried it in the early 80s but this gear looks a lot more "stable".

Anyway, funny boot story regardless..

So, a practical joker friend is guiding for a cat skiing operator who is also a friend and kinda goofy guy who's wealthy parents set him up in business to keep him out of trouble.

Anyway the ski guide decides one day to swap liners in the owners boots. At the end of the day the guide asks his boss what kind of day he had and was his equipment in good shape. Boss replies, "You know my ski boots felt the most comfortable best performing ever." It turns out the boss had previously been skiing with the wrong the liners in the boot and when the guide did the swap he ended up swapping the right liner into the right boot and left into left. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was snowboarding one day early season (i'm a 90/10 skier/snowboarder, but happened to have my board on that morning). I'm riding with one of my friends. I'm making regular, smooth turns down one of the main green runs on the mountain. As I get near the edge of the trail, I hear a woman scream "WATCH OUT!!!" from just behind me. I slam on the brakes, and a blue flash flies between me and the trail edge, and I feel her ski brake clip the nose of my board. Okay, now I'm annoyed. I ride after her for about 100 yards, and then the lady stops. I pull up to her with my friend, prepared to kindly remind her about the Responsibility Code. Before I can start, the woman starts screaming at me about "out of control snowboarders" and the like, and is cursing at me like a drunken sailor. A**hole, Sh**head, F**king lunatic, you name it, this 40-something woman is hurling a stream of insults and invective at me. For about thirty seconds.

That's when I reach up to the collar of my uniform jacket, past the shiny gold nametag that says "Supervisor" on it, to the radio mic clipped there. I reach down, switch frequencies to the Patrol channel, and inform patrol that they need to meet me at the bottom of the lift. I tell the lady I'm going to follow her down. We're low enough on the mountain, so there's only one place she can go, down to the main base area. She tries to tell me not to follow her. I remind her there is only one place to go from here, so that's where I'm going anyways. I ride down with her, and there are two patrollers there. I tell them what happened, and my friend (also in full uniform) confirms the story. The wire cutters come out, the ticket gets snipped, and she's kindly asked to leave the property. The ticket was a 4 day ticket. It was 9:30AM on day one.
Food for thought only. You were completely justified in what you did. And I am sure it felt great.

But it was also a teachable moment. What if you had first confronted her with the fact that you are Patrol AND that you can take her pass away right now. Put the fear of god in her (she needed it to make the "teachable" part of this). If she calmed down and began acting like a decent human being, find a copy of the rules. Make her read them. Quiz her on them. Make her apply them to your previous encounter and ask who was in the wrong. Tell her that you are recording her name (even if there is no mechanism for doing this) and that if patrol comes across her breaking rules again she will be kicked out, no questions. 95% of people would be suitably embarrassed. Not to mention educated and grateful.

BTW, I bet it felt great to cut that wire. I have the benefit of no adrenaline in saying all of this.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Skibob,
I appreciate where you're coming from, and if this had been some teenager I'd probably agree.
But a 40-something adult? As someone once told me: a word to the wise is sufficient; a fool needs a brick.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There's a similar internet story that made the rounds about some guy getting the parking spot he was waiting for stolen by some deusche that came from the other direction, saw he was already there waiting for the spot with his blinker on ant stole it anyway...

Anyway, guy was a manager at the company where it happened and guess who walked in for a job interview that morning???

Hearing similar stuff first hand from Mike was great!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
There's a similar internet story that made the rounds about some guy getting the parking spot he was waiting for stolen by some deusche that came from the other direction, saw he was already there waiting for the spot with his blinker on ant stole it anyway...

Anyway, guy was a manager at the company where it happened and guess who walked in for a job interview that morning???

I went to Colorado School of Mines with a high school classmate. We often carpooled and he had a reserved space in a parking lot at the school. One day we got there and found a Buick (big Buick) parked in his spot. We pulled in behind the Buick, T-fashion, just inches from the back bumper of the Buick. We both had to exit from the passenger side. We thought we could trap him there and see what he had to say for himself for stealing the parking spot. There was no room for escaping by pulling forward, so we thought we had him good.

When we came back at the end of the day, the lot was almost empty, the Buick was gone, and our car was still sitting where we parked it, with nary a scratch on it. It was a Corolla, so it would have been possible for the guy to recruit a bunch of buddies and pick it up and move it, pull the Buick out, and put the Corolla back, without leaving any trace. That was our guess, anyway, unless he was friends with Montgomery Scott or something.

michael

Skier
Skibob,
I appreciate where you're coming from, and if this had been some teenager I'd probably agree.
But a 40-something adult? As someone once told me: a word to the wise is sufficient; a fool needs a brick.

I also wonder how this would have played out had @MikeS been on skis...

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Food for thought only. You were completely justified in what you did. And I am sure it felt great.

But it was also a teachable moment. What if you had first confronted her with the fact that you are Patrol AND that you can take her pass away right now. Put the fear of god in her (she needed it to make the "teachable" part of this). If she calmed down and began acting like a decent human being, find a copy of the rules. Make her read them. Quiz her on them. Make her apply them to your previous encounter and ask who was in the wrong. Tell her that you are recording her name (even if there is no mechanism for doing this) and that if patrol comes across her breaking rules again she will be kicked out, no questions. 95% of people would be suitably embarrassed. Not to mention educated and grateful.

BTW, I bet it felt great to cut that wire. I have the benefit of no adrenaline in saying all of this.

I'll clarify. I wasn't patrol, I was and am an instructor. I told patrol what happened, didn't make any recommendation on action. It was their decision to pull the pass. I knew trying to engage her myself wasn't a good idea, because I was in "go" mode, both from almost getting hit and getting screamed at. So I just took a back seat and let my red jacketed colleagues take care of it.

Last edited:

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor

Even that story is more rational than the situation I was in. I mean, spot stealer didn't know who he stole the spot from. But this lady could clearly see I was a mountain employee, and easily see I was a supervisor carrying a radio. It's like rear ending a fire truck then screaming at the firefighters. Like, what are you thinking?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Skibob,

If anything the 40 something should know better. I witness more awful behavior from adults on the hill than teens all the time.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Park City yesterday, at the front of the line to get my pass scanned before getting on the chair. Liftie waves the scanner at me, no beeps. It was then that I realized I had left my neck wallet in my other jacket, which was back at the condo. Oh crap. I was at least able to back out of the maze without inconveniencing anybody, go back to the car, swap the boots out for shoes, and drive back to the condo to get the wallet. Fortunately, the parking lot wasn't filling up that fast so I snagged a decent parking spot when I got back to PCMR... Without the neck wallet, was also unable to get a temporary day pass. Memo to self: ALWAYS check to make sure you have the pass, etc. BEFORE leaving the condo.
:doh:

Sponsor

Staff online