• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Faux Pas

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
List the blunders that you have heard or seen on the hill.

Yelling "Single" in the Single Chair line at Mad River Glen? It was funny once, with the first guy to do it, maybe 1941

Leaving your boots in the car over night?

Texas Suitcase?

Trying to book an instructor and lesson on Craigslist?

Carrying skis across your chest?

What are some of you have seen...I would say done ourselves but we are all too good for that. ;)

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Forgot my ski pants and had to buy a pair, full price, in Vail. :doh: This is why I now wear my ski pants to the mountain.

I do that at least once per season, I generally keep all my stuff in my vehicle except gloves and boots, at least once per season I'll wear the pants home and forget to put them back in my vehicle. I once skied a blizzard pow day in a pair of fleece base layers. Once I built up an ice crust on the outside of them it was bearable. I already had a good pair of pants I'd bought at the resort the season before after forgetting them and I wasn't about to drive back home on a pow day.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Today, watched a boarder on his way to the lift line do a 360 spin or whatever on the ground. Didn't have situational awareness and merged boards with another boarder who was actually riding along conscientiously. Both went flying. :doh:

Also, I'm not sure why this angers me so much, but I saw SO MANY people (boarders (of course)) jump the lip that specifically had a huge yellow NO JUMPING sign in front of it. On a "learning" slope.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
List the blunders that you have heard or seen on the hill.

Yelling "Single" in the Single Chair line at Mad River Glen? It was funny once, with the first guy to do it, maybe 1941

;)

MRG's single started operating in 1948. Leave it to the old guy to report that trivia.

Gaby

aka Noofus
Skier
Skiing too fast towards the empty lift maze at Mt Rose, approaching the ropes at too high a rate of speed and smashing right into the "caution lift maze" sign... Oh wait were we supposed to talk about what we saw OTHERS do?

My bad...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Skiing too fast towards the empty lift maze at Mt Rose, approaching the ropes at too high a rate of speed and smashing right into the "caution lift maze" sign... Oh wait were we supposed to talk about what we saw OTHERS do?

My bad...

Years and years ago, my husband attempted to stop at a big yellow SLOW sign - instead ran into it and somehow got rolled up in the sign. Safety patrol laughed heartily.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Back when I was taking Permutations and Combinations 101: Shells, Liners, and Footbeds, I brought a left shell, a right shell, a left liner, a right liner, and two left footbeds to ski once. Or maybe it was two right liners. Anyway, I couldn't ski.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Dq9GstaJogd0fKIVS9DuIrxIpWgxyYI8Xw8NaRtprv2V5Nl38lvwJ5l5IGHWhKQAfksL70DnTg-8xDXshGK63oPVAnvdEI97retpivjwio_EUZrhbcA2tMxPbLSXV84=w470-h313-nc

At Temple Basin ski area in New Zealand there is a footbridge between two lifts. The bridge surface is wooden and not designed to hold snow. Two biggest faux pas was watching someone ski down to the bridge intending to ski over it. A combination of carrying too much speed and misjudging their line resulted in 1) watching an individual straddle the bridge rail, and 2) miss the bridge altogether and end up in the stream bed.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Showing up for a Wednesday night Beer league race, looking in your boot with a sinking feeling after realizing the zeppa was probably sitting on the floor at home. Tried using a sock for a trial run...............nah! Ended up using a couple of velcro ski straps-not comfortable at all, but I got a time.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the first day of a ski trip to Alta, a friend came out of the lodge with his newly fitted boots an couldn't click into his bindings. We watched, getting antsy as he tried over and over and simply could not get his skis on. Finally, we suggested that he go into the nearby shop to do what ever he needed to do to get the bindings adjusted to the new boots. He went into the shop and came out a couple minutes later, clicked into the bindings without a word, and we got on the lift. Finally, we asked him what the problem was and how it got resolved so fast. He mumbled something. We asked him to repeat. He said more loudly: they took the cat tracks off my boots.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On another trip to Alta, we went to board the lift in the morning during a storm. The lift line, as they say, was full. Another friend tried to wipe the snow off the chair before sitting down and fell down resulting in the lift being stopped and a loud boo arising from the lift line.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've told this story before but at a local PA resort I was eating lunch when a young couple sat down near me. I could hear the girl complaining to her boyfriend how much her boots were hurting her feet. She then took off her boots and I noticed she has street shoes on under her ski boots. I just stared until her boyfriend took his boots off. Same thing-sneakers on in his boots. I just laughed and walked off.

Sponsor

Staff online