• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Faux Pas

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Park City yesterday, at the front of the line to get my pass scanned before getting on the chair. Liftie waves the scanner at me, no beeps. It was then that I realized I had left my neck wallet in my other jacket, which was back at the condo. Oh crap. I was at least able to back out of the maze without inconveniencing anybody, go back to the car, swap the boots out for shoes, and drive back to the condo to get the wallet. Fortunately, the parking lot wasn't filling up that fast so I snagged a decent parking spot when I got back to PCMR... Without the neck wallet, was also unable to get a temporary day pass. Memo to self: ALWAYS check to make sure you have the pass, etc. BEFORE leaving the condo.
:doh:

'Skis, boots, poles, helmet, goggles, gloves, pass' is my going skiing mantra. I have a fair number of 'spare' passes because I only added ', pass' in the last few years. I never had too many coats before. ;-)

At VR, you can get a free pass every year, more than one will cost you although I've never been charged for the more than one pass. Also, the passes are only deactivated. If you lose your pass, you can reactivate a previous one.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Park City yesterday, at the front of the line to get my pass scanned before getting on the chair. Liftie waves the scanner at me, no beeps. It was then that I realized I had left my neck wallet in my other jacket, which was back at the condo. Oh crap. I was at least able to back out of the maze without inconveniencing anybody, go back to the car, swap the boots out for shoes, and drive back to the condo to get the wallet. Fortunately, the parking lot wasn't filling up that fast so I snagged a decent parking spot when I got back to PCMR... Without the neck wallet, was also unable to get a temporary day pass. Memo to self: ALWAYS check to make sure you have the pass, etc. BEFORE leaving the condo.
I'm gonna have to cancel our skiing together this week.

Jk.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I forgot my pass a few weeks ago. It lives in my green shell, and it only moves if I need my insulated jacket. I realized just before I got to the bus, which I had timed perfectly. So I went back to the condo (I was familiar with the "one free pass" thing, but didn't want to deal with it), got the pass, went back out and waited for the next bus. Which had mechanical issues, so we sat for a while at the *next* stop until the driver finally got it started again. All of this was insult to injury, because I would ordinarily simply walk about 10 minutes to the lift - but because my knee was aching, the bus was a less awful route. Slightly.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Many years ago a bunch of aspiring racer kids decided they had the wax to beat all waxes. So when they got to the top of the hill they applied it. Yup, you guessed it, Klister!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is something I see way too often - people can't figure out why their lift ticket keeps falling off their jacket zipper:

View attachment 1096

Either that, or they pull the backer off the sticky side of the lift ticket, fold it together, AND THEN try to get the wire in there somehow.

I've thought about creating a graphic on how to correctly attach your lift ticket and try selling signs to ski resorts (although this type of lift ticket is slowly going away).

I also see people attaching the ticket correctly, but they put it on the main zipper of the jacket. When zipped up and skiing the ticket starts whipping around in their face.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
List the blunders that you have heard or seen on the hill.

Yelling "Single" in the Single Chair line at Mad River Glen? It was funny once, with the first guy to do it, maybe 1941

My favorite was Single, Single, Divorced.. Separated.., Just fooling around....

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've thought about creating a graphic on how to correctly attach your lift ticket and try selling signs to ski resorts (although this type of lift ticket is slowly going away).

I also see people attaching the ticket correctly, but they put it on the main zipper of the jacket. When zipped up and skiing the ticket starts whipping around in their face.
I once saw a woman grab the ticket in one hand, pull the back off, and crumple it around the wicket. It looked something like this:
image.jpeg

It was extremely disturbing - I may have gasped out loud.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in the guest services line at Stowe on Saturday and someone asked how to redeem their MaxPass. "No, that's not good here."

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ This guy might have hit the trifecta! Jeans and gaiters, Texas-themed sports shirt, and fanny pack turned to the front. The bike helmet is just the topping -- literally and figuratively. :golfclap:

I wish him well.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^^ This guy might have hit the trifecta! Jeans and gaiters, Texas-themed sports shirt, and fanny pack turned to the front. The bike helmet is just the topping -- literally and figuratively. :golfclap:

I wish him well.
At least he's got skis with some side cut. :D

At least the buckles are on the outside. :D:D

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I left my poles next to the car in the driveway when unloading the car after the gathering. They're gone. Rat Farts. I loved my green poles. :(

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
I was skiing solo the other day at what turned out to be a pretty busy day. I was in the singles line for the quad, and at the merge saw two boarders and no other couple in sight, so I got in next to them and motioned to the single behind me to take the fourth seat on the outside. As the four in front of us are just getting ready to ski up to their chair, the boarder next to me starts jumping up and down, waving his arms in the air, and yelling something along the lines of, "Dude! Dude! I found Bro! I found Bro!" We all turn to look, and discover that their buddy is running up on the outside of the ropes, board in hand, and proceeds to duck under the rope and starts to scramble to get clicked in to his board.

At this point, I realize that there is no way these guys are going to make the chair, and I move forward and motion to the single next to me to join me. But in their excitement to get their friend to join them, the other two boarders have now completely crowded out everyone behind them, and jostled this skier to the side so he isn't able to make the chair, either.

Net result: I got what was probably the only solo ride of the entire day, and the trio can't get their act together to load the next chair, so it goes up empty as well. I'm sure those three made a lot more friends that day.

Sponsor

Staff online