• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Bar-The Video. Humor involved.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Though it's pretty funny.

But "yo," it makes no odds in Vt. Even the Bros gotta use the bar.

(Though, of course, here in NH, live free and die, dude.)

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I actually do not enjoy the foot rest, I like to let me feet hang. But if someone likes it down, then it's not an argument.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Though it's pretty funny.

But "yo," it makes no odds in Vt. Even the Bros gotta use the bar.

(Though, of course, here in NH, live free and die, dude.)

I was thinking about that, actually. It was filmed in CO, in places I recognize, and it's an attitude I recognize, too -- but yeah I realize much of it is lost on Easterners, Europeans, etc.

In the spirit of what the thread has become (which is not the spirit in which it was begun, sorry @KevinF , I tried), I did use the bar today. Once. I sat down, and the seat had iced over and I was sliding around and it was scary. That also probably happens more in the East, and in Europe, etc.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
First thing I do is see where the footrest is and then tuck my poles under the proper leg so the footrest can come down without hitting my poles. Then I wait for whoever is with me to put the bar down, If no one wants to, it stays up.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, yeah, it's a dumb discussion. But the title asked a question. Really it's the title at fault.

My favorite part of that video is the guy trying to carry all the kiddo equipment and of course dropping it all. I don't know how parents manage that stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was thinking about that, actually. It was filmed in CO, in places I recognize, and it's an attitude I recognize, too -- but yeah I realize much of it is lost on Easterners, Europeans, etc.

In the spirit of what the thread has become (which is not the spirit in which it was begun, sorry @KevinF , I tried), I did use the bar today. Once. I sat down, and the seat had iced over and I was sliding around and it was scary. That also probably happens more in the East, and in Europe, etc.
See, you have not learned the lesson of the video!!
It's called a footrest. So you ask about the "footrest" and the others think "oh, not a bad idea" instead of " oh..you're so lame. What you're scared?? "

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

If the chairs are icy one of the lifties will usually whack the chair hard with a big rubber stick just before you sit down. Helps to break up the ice. I think my arm would get tired before hitting all the chairs, but it works... Some places (Okemo, Mt. Snow) have been installing bubble lifts and heated chairs which also works.

As mentioned above, I believe it's state law in all the New England states that the safety bar must come down. Some places are militant about it -- i.e., they'll yell at you to put it down. Some places are more lax about it. I always put it down "just because", but the other day I was about half-way up the main Stowe quad when I realized I hadn't put it down. :eek:

What gets me is that some people put the bar down approximately 1microsecond after your ass hits the chair. No request of "hold on one sec" will stop these people. And then when you still have a minute or two of lift riding to go they want to put it up. And the top of Stowe is one windy place -- those chairs get rocking sometimes and I like keeping the bar down until the last second when they do start swinging.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
See, you have not learned the lesson of the video!!
It's called a footrest. So you ask about the "footrest" and the others think "oh, not a bad idea" instead of " oh..you're so lame. What you're scared?? "

The lesson of the video has nothing to do with bars and/or footrests, does it :D

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well, yeah, it's a dumb discussion. But the title asked a question. Really it's the title at fault.

My favorite part of that video is the guy trying to carry all the kiddo equipment and of course dropping it all. I don't know how parents manage that stuff.

I admit that I intentionally worded the title as click bait, but then I figured people would watch the video and get the "real purpose" of my thread. The "click bait" part worked, the "watch the video" part... not so much apparently.

It's pouring rain here in New England tonight. I need to release the frustration somehow!

James

Out There
Instructor
The lesson of the video has nothing to do with bars and/or footrests, does it :D
Apparently you learned the lesson of the video some time ago. Ms Aspen Highlands Powder Girl .

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
State law in NY so we've gotta use 'em. plus I DO like to rest my legs. Last trip out west I got a touch of vertigo a couple of times and wanted the bar down then.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I like that video — always have (somebody posted it on Epic a while back).

So, @KevinF, besides Vermont (where I was threatened with a pass-pull — nicely, of course), what other New England states that you know of make footrest-less lift riding a crime? Maine & Massachusetts? I think we're permitted to be idiots here (no seatbelt law, either, if you're over 18).

Actually, the video I'd like to find again is the Uptown Funk one, with skiers. Couldn't find it again after I'd watched it a few times. Entertained my wife with it.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I like that video — always have (somebody posted it on Epic a while back).

So, @KevinF, besides Vermont (where I was threatened with a pass-pull — nicely, of course), what other New England states that you know of make footrest-less lift riding a crime? Maine & Massachusetts? I think we're permitted to be idiots here (no seatbelt law, either, if you're over 18).

Actually, the video I'd like to find again is the Uptown Funk one, with skiers. Couldn't find it again after I'd watched it a few times. Entertained my wife with it.

It's been a while since I skied NH, so my recollection of being told to lower the bar or not is kind of fuzzy. I did find this: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xix/225-a/225-a-mrg.htm. Section A24 lists the responsibilities of ski lift passengers and they don't indicate that you're required to lower the safety bar.

That said, I also don't see a requirement that lifts have a safety bar either, and all of them do.. You'd think that if it weren't a law somebody would have tried to save some $$$ and not installed them.

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Video is popular, worthy of a Grammy, white-guy rapper better than Eminem and he is killer-funny!

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's pouring rain here in New England tonight. I need to release the frustration somehow!

East coast skiers are the hardest core skiers. We get soft in Colorado with our omnipresent snow and comfy temps.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister

Probably not the one you were thinking of, but as Chelmsford is just down the road from me, I'm kind of partial to it.

scott43

Skier
That's not the worst rap ever...but.. :eek: All I can think is, yes, I like the footrest and OMG, there had better not be bunny ears in my future.. :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online