• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Bar-The Video. Humor involved.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not the one you were thinking of, but as Chelmsford is just down the road from me, I'm kind of partial to it.

I like it. Pretty good skiers, too.

Where is that? Wachusett?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
It's been a while since I skied NH, so my recollection of being told to lower the bar or not is kind of fuzzy. I did find this: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xix/225-a/225-a-mrg.htm. Section A24 lists the responsibilities of ski lift passengers and they don't indicate that you're required to lower the safety bar.

That said, I also don't see a requirement that lifts have a safety bar either, and all of them do.. You'd think that if it weren't a law somebody would have tried to save some $$$ and not installed them.

Maybe. Could be an insurance company requirement, too, I suppose.

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
In France, (a), the bars descended automatically as we departed the loading ramp, and (b) we saw every lift which took kids or anyone under the 1.25 metres in height had an additional vertical bar as a stopper to prevent unintended slide-outs. Have to admit, I liked the idea as when my kid was that age (and even now) chairlifts gave me a sense of foreboding often. And it was so easy for them to slideout underneath, happens more often than I thought even on our little icy mountains in the East (when there is ice and snow that is).
Just a sentiment being expressed, I think they help mentally a lot, and probably physically have genuine preventive value.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
(b) we saw every lift which took kids or anyone under the 1.25 metres in height had an additional vertical bar as a stopper to prevent unintended slide-outs. Have to admit, I liked the idea as when my kid was that age (and even now) chairlifts gave me a sense of foreboding often. And it was so easy for them to slideout underneath, happens more often than I thought even on our little icy mountains in the East (when there is ice and snow that is).
Just a sentiment being expressed, I think they help mentally a lot, and probably physically have genuine preventive value.

There was a nasty incident at Crotched last season — a girl slipped out under the bar, and her mother, trying to catch her, slipped out, too. Both survived, but both were badly damaged. There was an air evac involved.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This. This discussion should be about the hilarious video. Not a rehash of the same old debate we have multiple times per year...

Some of the posts in this thread fit right in. I liked the line about "sometimes I even use the ski valet!" Yo.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My favorite part of that video is the guy trying to carry all the kiddo equipment and of course dropping it all. I don't know how parents manage that stuff.

We make the kids carry their stuff. :)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone replying to this thread w/o watching the link in the first post will be put in time out for a week.
Seriously. I thought that video was excellent and hilarious, but it makes me a sad pants to see this place drop into humorless, pedantic, and useless quibbling like the old place inevitably did.

Thank for posting the vid @KevinF !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great video, I am glad I complied.
Seriously. I thought that video was excellent and hilarious, but it makes me a sad pants to see this place drop into humorless, pedantic, and useless quibbling like the old place inevitably did.

Thank for posting the vid @KevinF !
Yep, I changed the title to be a bit more accurate.

James

Out There
Instructor
This guy jumped off a chairlift in China zoo over the Tiger den.

James

Out There
Instructor
Crushed by The Man Himself on only the third thread I ever started. :hail:

I will hobble away to my corner now. :crutches:
Well your clickbait worked- for arguing once again about the bar. But it's other name is the footrest..yo

You'll just have to post another funny video in the tbread to make up for it.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Does lovelands new ptarmigan lift have a bar? I've always found it funny how anti-bar they've been. Chair 4 is only a few years old and doesn't have a bar either.

Sponsor

Staff online