• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Part A curing in the sun. These are my wife's Fulluvits.
View attachment 43172
Got Part B on today. After the time necessary (3 hours but I was doing other things so more like 5) I corked them. If you don't have a real ski cork I recommend a nice 2015 Michel Schlumberger Cabernet cork. Worked just fine. The two parts both dried to the touch with a sandpaper like texture. The cork removed everything fairly easily but there is some elbow grease needed to get it all. I still have to brush them but will borrow a power rotary brush for that. Hopefully Ann will get out on them soon and we'll have a report back regarding how they perform in true spring conditions.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, we had a demo day at Mt Rose. I happened to test two very similar DPS skis: one waxed, one Phantomed. I skied them at a time snow was getting sticky in flats and slushy otherwise. They were both fine (an very similar) on the slushy slopes, but the one with Phantom actually did better on the sticky spots in flats. Here is the whole story. Pleasant surprise. Now the question is cost. But otherwise, I would take my skis to a shop, and get them waxed.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So, we had a demo day at Mt Rose. I happened to test two very similar DPS skis: one waxed, one Phantomed. I skied them at a time snow was getting sticky in flats and slushy otherwise. They were both fine (an very similar) on the slushy slopes, but the one with Phantom actually did better on the sticky spots in flats. Here is the whole story. Pleasant surprise. Now the question is cost. But otherwise, I would take my skis to a shop, and get them waxed.

The question is what waxes were used? What was the waxing method? How well was the scraping and brushing done?

Other side of the coin is if they will run relatively well a $100.00 is a good deal, if it will truly last and not need a grind too soon to remove the burn from the bases.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The question is what waxes were used? What was the waxing method? How well was the scraping and brushing done?

Other side of the coin is if they will run relatively well a $100.00 is a good deal, if it will truly last and not need a grind too soon to remove the burn from the bases.

@Andy Mink did like 20 skis on one afternoon for the demoing. Not sure the details, but he's a good, good man.

Yeah, something around that level, if done in a shop with infrared, would be good for me. I could still wax on top if I wanted, but for the most thing, I would much rather save the time. Going through the edges yields amazing results. But waxing is not something I enjoy doing. I would have the option to do it if needed but I wouldn't need it.

I lost track though: has been there any test of Phantom after a stone grind?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
All I remember is Phil saying he was going to have the skis ground shortly. I don't remember the aftermath. There are hundreds of threads I never read.
The DPS 95s that @Mendieta used during the demo had been ground after about 20 or so days. The grinding does not seem to have diminished the Phantom's effectiveness.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I used yellow wax (it was in @Philpug 's garage) though I don't know the brand. Since I was doing I think 23 pair of skis I rubbed it on, ironed it, and used a rotobrush to take off the very little excess. Everything I heard was it skied well in the very spring conditions. @ScotsSkier, @Mendieta, @Tricia, @KingGrump, @Unpiste, @textrovert, @Rainbow Jenny, @Chickenmonkey, and several others (sorry, can't remember everyone!) skied in the spring conditions, some until the final bell. The wax seemed to work well.

My wife's K2 Fulluvits have Phantom on them and it was her first time out since it was applied. She reported no issues of sticky or slow skis. As I've said before, it's not going to be for everyone. Those who enjoy their waxing or really insist on top performance will probably not be as enthused as those who don't like waxing, don't like paying and waiting for waxing, or don't have room or time to do it themselves. That's who this product is for. It works well for what it is meant to do, IMHO.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I used yellow wax (it was in @Philpug 's garage) though I don't know the brand. Since I was doing I think 23 pair of skis I rubbed it on, ironed it, and used a rotobrush to take off the very little excess. Everything I heard was it skied well in the very spring conditions. @Scotskier, @Mendieta, @Tricia, @KingGrump, @Unpiste, @textrovert, @Rainbow Jenny, and several other (sorry, can't remember everyone!) skied in the spring conditions, some until the final bell. The wax seemed to work well.

My wife's K2 Fulluvits have Phantom on them and it was her first time out since it was applied. She reported no issues of sticky or slow skis. As I've said before, it's not going to be for everyone. Those who enjoy their waxing or really insist on top performance will probably not be as enthused as those who don't like waxing, don't like paying and waiting for waxing, or don't have room or time to do it themselves. That's who this product is for. It works well for what it is meant to do, IMHO.

Wow! I would think the yellow wax would not be so great. I guess some may be harder that others. Your good brushing was key I'm sure.

I'm into waxing, but for those that don't like to wax, it seems to me the Phantom, from what folks are reporting, should be a steel of a deal for only $100.00!
I spend hours of time waxing and spend way more than that every season!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think it sounds great for travel, when you don't want to pack all that stuff, don't know which wax will be best, etc. I never go anywhere, so it has limited appeal for me. Cost and hassle factor of planning to do the curing in the summer, etc. But definitely a huge benefit for traveling.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it sounds great for travel, when you don't want to pack all that stuff, don't know which wax will be best, etc. I never go anywhere, so it has limited appeal for me. Cost and hassle factor of planning to do the curing in the summer, etc. But definitely a huge benefit for traveling.
I did one pair. The actual application is very quick x 2. The 3 hour cure time x 2 is the slow part but easy. Then maybe 10-15 minutes to buff and brush. I definitely wouldn't put this on a pair of skis if I was someone who sold and bought skis frequently. I do not believe you would recoup your investment. If I did do it I would probably put it on right when I bought a new pair of skis so I would get the most value out of it.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just applied Phantom to my 4th set of skis the other day. I am 3 of 3 for it working very well. I do let it cure for a full day in the sun, just to make sure. I put them out in the morning before I go to work and bring them in at the end of the day. I also wipe the stuff off after curing and wait between part A and part B for clear sunny days. Its not hard to apply, but you do have to work out the weather schedule.

I have not found any snow conditions where Phantom didn't work well. To me the nice thing is I don't have to worry about which wax to apply, I don't have to apply any at all. The convenience and time savings is worth the cost to me, especially if the stuff was bought at a discount like mine was. I have about 6 skis in my quiver and so far only two have Phantom, the other packages went to my family's skis. I doubt I will put it on all my skis, but the ones I use the most will get it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Soo .. it occurs to me that if you run Phantom, you never have to worry about burning the bases because you didn't wax before the season started (or the big powder day happened before you got around to waxing your fat skis, etc, etc).

Is that right?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Soo .. it occurs to me that if you run Phantom, you never have to worry about burning the bases because you didn't wax before the season started (or the big powder day happened before you got around to waxing your fat skis, etc, etc).

Is that right?

It’s a ONE and DONE deal. Edges and bases still have to be tuned

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How deep is this supposed to penetrate that you never have to worry about base burn and the glide improves once you stone grind them? How about three stone grinds later? I can't imagine it goes THAT deep! I could see if they invented a new kind of base material, but we're talking about something applied here. How could it possibly be "once and done"???
It’s a ONE and DONE deal. Edges and bases still have to be tuned

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
How deep is this supposed to penetrate that you never have to worry about base burn and the glide improves once you stone grind them? How about three stone grinds later? I can't imagine it goes THAT deep! I could see if they invented a new kind of base material, but we're talking about something applied here. How could it possibly be "once and done"???

It is SUPPOSED to penetrate the entire base material. That's what they claim, and that's what it seems is happening based on a few reviews above. (i.e. After one grind it is still working). It is hard to imagine, but then again it's hard to imagine how Helium can escape from a sealed balloon, yet it does (right thru the balloon material).

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Has anyone including DPS actuallt done a proper double blind test on this stuff yet?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS is currently out of Phantom. They said they’ll have it in stock by the end of summer.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This would be a big advantage for me. I HATE that sticky, grabby snow...I always feel like I’m going to reinsure my knee. I’d pay $100 to help prevent that nasty sensation.

Sponsor

Staff online