• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It appears Blister Gear Review has some DPS skis with the Phantom treatment applied. There is an initial report on their website of one tester that has used it in very cold temps. You can find it under the Podcast section. Here is his review:

"Paul Forward:

Shortly after I received and mounted the Phantom-treated DPS Alchemist Wailer 106, Southcentral Alaska experienced a relatively cold spell with temperatures in the single digits (Fahrenheit). During this period, I spent several days skiing cold, chalky snow on the Wailer 106, mostly on relatively smooth, grippy groomers.

In the cold snow, the Phantom treatment seemed to perform well, and the glide across flatter sections was at least as good as other skis that I’d recently waxed with standard blue Swix CH6X wax (which has a temperature recommendation of -14°F to 23°F). When we got a few inches of cold / light snow, the Wailer 106 continued to glide well without any hint of extra drag from the new cold crystals.

Recently, things got a bit warmer with temperatures in the high 20’s to low 30’s, and we received 10-12” of high moisture-content snow. After canceling our day of heli-skiing due to the ongoing storm, I headed up to the hill for some inbounds maritime pow skiing. The first thing I noticed when I got off the tram and clicked into the bindings was that the skis felt a little sluggish as I was pushing away from the tram deck. Once I started heading downhill, however, that sensation immediately disappeared and I skied down to the next chair with great glide and overall performance.

Throughout the day, the base treatment worked great, and the only time I had any other thoughts about it was while doing a beacon drill during which I took off my skis for about 30 minutes. When I picked up the skis from the snow to click in again, I was a little surprised to see that quite a bit of snow was sticking to the bases. I opted to just toss them down, click in, and ski away, and this was all it took to get back to excellent gliding.

While having some wet snow stick to my skis while stationary was a little surprising, it is something we were told to expect by the folks at DPS. Specifically, I was told that Phantom “behaves differently than wax, since…it isn’t wax. At very slow speeds (like a lift line) you will NOT feel the slippery, freshly waxed feel. But as soon as the initial friction between the base and snow is overcome you’ll have great glide.”

I would say that this description exactly reflects my experience so far.

After only a few days, I’m definitely not ready to fully endorse all of DPS’ claims about Phantom, but so far, things seem to be working as advertised. We will be getting some other reviewers on skis and boards that have been treated with Phantom, and will be providing updates on how Phantom deals with different types of climbing-skins glue, how it performs in different temperatures, and do some A/B comparisons with traditionally waxed skis. So keep an eye out for updates, but so far, so good."

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I had a chance to take out the newly tuned Phantom prepped skis today. Last week we sent the Cassiar 95's to @smoothrides to have them prepped and cleaned up. This test pair had about 30 days on them, mostly by @Andy Mink, with the sparce Tahoe contitions and it was time to give the skis some love and to see what happens to Phantom after a base grind. @smoothrides had the skis for a day or so and in his usual prompt manner the skis were returned to us with a fresh 1*/2* bevel and a nice thumbnail grind and I will say the skis looked better than new. Today I had a chance to get them in the condtions that everyone was asking how they were, cold new snow. Mt. Rose was 10* with a recorded 5-7" of fresh squeaky snow. I immediately knew that the Phantom would work well because the Cassair's were sliding around under my feet when I was putting them on. Gliding over to the lift was pretty effortless. I would say the skis felt better than if I had a red wax on but not quite as good as if it was cold weathr specific blue wax. Where the usual rule of thumb is that red is for 80% of your skiing and blue and yellow account for the 10% on either end, I would say that the Phantom easily covers more than half of that 10% on the blue end...and for that person who doesn't use a blue, this will be more than fine for them too. We have yet to subject our tests ski to anything that doesn't let them stand up to DPS's claims. This pair of skis has about a years worth of on snow time for the typical skier and is now ready for another year with it's fresh grind. Hard to argue that.

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Hi all! I know it's probably odd for my first post to be a product review, but I've lurked for a while and actually found Pugski while I was searching for reviews on Phantom before buying it (you guys seem like a super friendly, helpful community!). I've been following this thread for a while and have had some initial experience with it so I thought I'd share it (please note that I did originally post this on Backcountry.com's website on the product page--for whatever reason the product isn't listed there any longer--out of stock maybe?).

I don't have any ties to DPS or anything, just a mediocre skier from the east that enjoys 1 or 2 annual trips out west and sighs with disappointment when I'm back in the Poconos. For background, I have typically done most of my own waxing/tuning until I need a base grind done (never anything temp specific though) at which point I have my local shop also fix my edges that I've likely screwed up. Ha! Never enjoyed doing the waxing much after the first couple of years (doing the family's 4 pairs of skis got old quick), so getting the email from Backcountry lead me here looking for reviews. This was from earlier this month and the trip was out to Park City (I had skied Vail in January. Skis are Blizzard Brahmas 180's that I neglected to wax before Vail, so they were super slow then).

Anyway... this is my experience with it. Happy to answer any questions:

So I applied as instructed on a bright, sunny day with almost no clouds--started a bit cold at 16 degrees as I needed to get them into the sun, but the temps quickly went up to mid to high 20's. Part A went on (fresh stone grind, no wax, cleaned with base cleaner) and into the sun at about 7:30am and I applied part B at 11am and back in the sun around 11:20. Pulled the skis back in to cork and brush right around 4:00. When all was done, I did not really have any stickiness on my bases (you could feel that there was something there, but not really "tacky").

Time to test: As a basis of comparison, my buddy has a very fast pair of skis (this trip he had a fresh wax with 1 day on the wax job) that will always way out glide my in flats to the point where I have to tuck low just to keep him in sight while he stands perfectly upright like a billboard, and my son has skis that are only slightly slower than mine (his were also freshly waxed, no days on the wax job). I have skied a lot with them both so I know exactly how my skis compare to theirs, whether dry bases, waxed bases, different snow, etc.

Day 1: I expected a few runs to be slow... no problem. But 5, 6, 7 runs in, I was falling behind both of them--thinking "oh, no, what did I do to my skis". Fast forward a few hours and the skis started to really glide well--I'm now passing my son and slowly creeping up on my friend.

Day 2: The skis feel slippery and fast and I'm now blowing past my son and keeping up with my friend--I'm sure part of it was my friend's and son's wax jobs wearing off, but part of it just feels like they were continuing to improve. All sorts of conditions from packed powder to crusty groomers to afternoon slush. No real low temps, but high teens up to mid 30's in the afternoon.

Day 3: My friend, who I've never been able to keep up with, is now occassionally behind and trying to keep up with me. Total surprise to me. I'm sure he'll pick up speed again with a fresh wax job, but I'll be faster when it wears off. Also, went over some rocks pretty badly (sketchy conditions in Park City) and expected some bad gouges in my bases, but nothing really there--don't know if it just sounded/felt worse than it actually was or if the Phantom's claim of making the bases harder was part of it.

Not sure if others' lack of success is related to application or what, but if you can get this applied right I'd definitely recommend it--has worked great for me. Now time will tell if it lasts, but I am very hopeful. Definitely helpful to have a known "control" friend or relative to compare against to know exactly what it's doing. Really surprised that it seems to be living up to the hype.​

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One last update from my Phantom usage. I have treated 3 skis. All glide well, none were sticky right out of the gate which must mean I cured them well and wiped, corked, brushed them well. In very cold snow, the skis seem slippery even when standing still. In warmer snow, there is a little initial friction to overcome, as DPS describes.

I have about a dozen days on my slalom skis in lots of different conditions, big and small mtn's. No changes and good glide in all conditions. I had them out on a 45 deg. day with slushy snow and they were great. The only thing I did notice (the skis glide well, so I don't focus on it much) was when I went through a 30 ft long wet patch. For about half the length it felt like someone put the breaks on my skis. I think this is pretty normal, even for a well waxed ski, at a certain distance through the wet patch, it felt like someone let off the brake and the glide came back. Kind of weird, but it might be I was slowed down enough to restore my glide. I also have a very fine structure on my bases, so it might have been more structure related than Phantom related. I honestly don't remember what a well waxed ski feels like when going through a large wet patch. By wet patch I mean a puddle that's only a 1/4 inch deep.

I have one application of Phantom left, and when I don another aplpine ski, I plan to use a little of the excess on my cross country skis where there are no fish scales. I think it will help them more than hurt them, as I almost never use a wax on them on the glide part. They are a waxless design.

I would also like to report that other than the beginning of the season when I waxed a number of my skis, I haven't used the waxing iron once this season, I just keep skiing the Phantom skis, which has cut down on my beer drinking, but I am adapting.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In warmer snow, there is a little initial friction to overcome, as DPS describes.
Question on this gripiness. Is it noticeable at very low speeds, like at walking speed or on flats where you might be using your poles or skating to move along?

I would also like to report that other than the beginning of the season when I waxed a number of my skis, I haven't used the waxing iron once this season, I just keep skiing the Phantom skis, which has cut down on my beer drinking, but I am adapting.
:roflmao:

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Question on this gripiness. Is it noticeable at very low speeds, like at walking speed or on flats where you might be using your poles or skating to move along?

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here since you're quoting ScottB, but from my experience, once you get a little movement over a mile or two an hour, all of the gripiness goes away, so walking speeds or on flats there is no issue at all. I do notice that they are a little grippier on the lift line, which to me hasn't been a bad thing because it's been easier to slowly move uphill with it. Uphill lift lines actually feel easier as I find I have more glide coming into them and then more grip when I'm in line working my way to the chair.

I'll probably end up picking up 3 more kits over the summer to do my wife's and kids' skis this year. DPS has a fantastic product on their hands that I think is very limited by how challenging the application may be for some during the winter months (cold temps and less light to cure it).

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick answer: No

I only notice the gripiness when standing still (waiting in line for the chair) and sliding my skis back and forth. It takes a llittle more force to make the skis slide, compared to a well waxed ski. Not as much as an un-waxed ski that has poor glide. Once the ski is moving at all, it goes away. So if you are skating and going very slow, you will not sense it at all. Its just a very slight initial break free sensation. When I have fresh waxed skis I always notice how slippery they are standing in line, its kind of my habit to slide them back and forth while I am bored waiting in line. The DPS doesn't give you that sensation until you actually get them sliding, like if you are poling or skating. Its pretty minor.

I am going to try it on my cross country skis since the glide is good. The initial stiction won't be an issue in my opinion.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So quick question to this group. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with Nanox Wax or Fast Stick? Both seem really interesting and I would love to learn more about each. I also noticed that Nanox now makes skis with a special base so would be great to hear more about that too.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the chance to ski the DPS Foundation Cassiar 95s today in real, live, cold, dry powder. These are skis from the @Philpug test selection. The skis had the Phantom applied at DPS so that's a little different than the other skis we've been reading about. The skis have over 30 days on with the Phantom and just got a grind @smoothrides.

On the flats today they were fine and I had no problem rolling along with Phil who was on DPS Cassiar 94s with a regular wax. The snow was very dry and light. Temperature was around 15°F. There was nothing groomed so it was required to keep speed up all the way to the lift, no different than regular wax. I've now skied this pair of skis in everything from goopy spring conditions through this cold powder today. All I can say is it works.

The one thing I did find out today is that wasn't a stump or ice ball that I hit. Phantom is not rock proof but we will find out how well it holds p-tex.:doh:

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi, I've been stalking this thread for a couple weeks now, and decided to sign up for any others who are looking into DPS Phantom. I applied it to my Volkl Mantra skis last week, and went out to Sundance and Brian Head ski resorts this past week/weekend. As others have said, the first couple thousand vertical feet was *rough*. It almost felt like I had sandpaper on my skis instead of wax. It didn't help the temps were really high, and there was some slush at the top of the run I was going on. The sluggish feeling wore off after maybe 3k of vertical. I was a little worried because thing still didn't feel "right", but I kept with it.

The next day I was at Brian Head, and the skis came alive. I was really impressed how well things felt, fully knowing there wasn't any "wax" on my skis. My wife had JUST her skis waxed/tuned, and she was beating me easily on the flats, but I wasn't too far behind. The next day, I flew past her on the flats. Pretty incredible how quickly wax wears off! I've now got 4 days on the phantoms, and although I understand that's "not much", the bit that impresses me is the fact that it still feels like "the day after" a fresh tune. Not quite as fast as a fresh wax job, but definitely better than wax that is a day old.

I have to admit I'm pretty dumbfounded by the whole thing, I hoped it would work, and now that it IS working, I kind of can't believe it. I'll keep posting updates as the season winds down (hope to get out another 10-15 times before the end of the season).

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I had the chance to ski the DPS Foundation Cassiar 95s today in real, live, cold, dry powder. These are skis from the @Philpug test selection. The skis had the Phantom applied at DPS so that's a little different than the other skis we've been reading about. The skis have over 30 days on with the Phantom and just got a grind @smoothrides.

On the flats today they were fine and I had no problem rolling along with Phil who was on DPS Cassiar 94s with a regular wax. The snow was very dry and light. Temperature was around 15°F. There was nothing groomed so it was required to keep speed up all the way to the lift, no different than regular wax. I've now skied this pair of skis in everything from goopy spring conditions through this cold powder today. All I can say is it works.

The one thing I did find out today is that wasn't a stump or ice ball that I hit. Phantom is not rock proof but we will find out how well it holds p-tex.:doh:

Question is what is "Regular" wax for snow that cold? (probably not as cold as that air) How much time on that wax? Were they brushed and scraped to perfection? How well was the wax job done? Was the base structure identical on both pairs? Were the bases identical on both pairs?

There are many arbitrary things to consider.

Sounds like they worked well enough for you though and that's great.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We just skied on extremely varied conditions this past week, while I am no judge, @Mrs. 53 loved her Phantom treated skis! She had no problems and was fast over the flats and was ripping up the double blues and blacks

Mine were very fast when poling over flats.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question is what is "Regular" wax for snow that cold? (probably not as cold as that air) How much time on that wax? Were they brushed and scraped to perfection? How well was the wax job done? Was the base structure identical on both pairs? Were the bases identical on both pairs?

There are many arbitrary things to consider.

Sounds like they worked well enough for you though and that's great.
The "regular" wax I use is a Holmenkohl Blue, Red/Blue mix and I use a fibreline method of removal and do rotobrush everything.

Jacques

Skier
The "regular" wax I use is a Holmenkohl Blue, Red/Blue mix and I use a fibreline method of removal and do rotobrush everything.

Thanks Phil. I'll continue to read these reports. In this case it seems the Phantom is working just like "they" said it would.
I do enjoy my waxing, but for many "regular" folks this just may be the ticket to forget about all that!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil. I'll continue to read these reports. In this case it seems the Phantom is working just like "they" said it would.
I do enjoy my waxing, but for many "regular" folks this just may be the ticket to forget about all that!
Some people are fine with taking their car in for an oil change, some will want to change it themeselves. Hell, I know some members here who prefer to shoot their own food, me, I think Costco has a reat meat department and i don't have to get up at 4 AM to get there. To each their own. Me? There are instances I like to be in the garage/shop with a glass of bourbon and waxing skis..there are other times I think, I wish all of our skis had Phantom on it.

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier

I would contend that after half a day of skiing you will lag behind anyone that is using Phantom. I believe the environmental impact of using wax makes Phantom arguably superior.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like a dare. You'd need someone with Jacques's tiny size to be fair tho.
Sounds to me like a double dog dare ;). Honestly, I am not sure if it is Nth degree faster or slower...but it is on par..I think that is all you can really ask of it...especially waxing is not something you enjoy and you do mot want to deal with.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
... waxing ... do not want to deal with.
I don't mind waxing at home. But on a week long trip, I like to rewax once in the middle. On the recent Utah Gathering I lugged along my iron but never used it. Just not enough time in the evening. On the other hand, I did do a couple of base welds and diamond stone a few rock hits on the edges in the garage at our condo. It's harder to do without a bench. One weld was deep and narrow, and came out very nice. The other was a bit of a blob that needs some rework.

Leaving the waxing iron at home would free up a couple of pounds to overpack a bit more.

Jacques

Skier
I would contend that after half a day of skiing you will lag behind anyone that is using Phantom. I believe the environmental impact of using wax makes Phantom arguably superior.

Hmmm.........that may be debatable. All the environmental stuff is pure hype. Just like proper waxing gives the best glide.
I'm just not going to bite here.

Sponsor

Staff online