• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I bet GrassSticks would be willing to graft the old grip onto their poles. That would be something!
Yes indeed. Call them- "Luddite Sticks"?,"88's" ? For the speed the DeLorean time traveled at.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes indeed. Call them- "Luddite Sticks"?,"88's" ? For the speed the DeLorean time traveled at.

Now that's just mean. That said, I'd like a pair with leather strap/metal ring baskets.. If we're going for a cool retry vibe why not go big??

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm 6' and ski 52"/130cm poles. Mainly so I don't have to lean forward to plant it on the steeps (keeps from going over the bars if the snow is funky) and more umph on the flats especially when I don't want to use the rope tow at Alta, BUT haven't had straps on my poles for the last 10 years. Must be a Utah thing ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting on the steeps thing. I would think that's a good area for long poles. However, seems at least some current steep skiers actually go shorter. May have to do with low body position being used as opposed to a stand up pedal turn. This is pretty damn steep.

Here, at 5:40, you can see the choking down of around 5 -6 inches.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A bit shorter for sure in steep terrain.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I jumped on this old thread for a quick question.

When skiing in DEEP powder do you adjust pole length as you might do for skiing bumps?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

When skiing in DEEP powder do you adjust pole length as you might do for skiing bumps?
Bigger baskets when skiing fatter skis. You want your baskets to float the same way your skis do. .. KIDDING! I have no idea but do know folks prefer longer poles for touring and steeps.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Nope

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

No. I use powder baskets nearly all the time. Only my race poles don't have powder baskets.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

When I went heli skiing with CMH a few years ago, they insisted that everyone go with shorter (strapless) poles that they provided at no charge. Ostensibly it was for deep powder but I knew this was BS. I didn't call them out on this but the real reason was that they wanted everyone to be skiing with poles that had no wrist straps. This is because in an avy or a fall in deep unconsolidated snow, if you have poles attached to your wrists, they will drag you down like anchors. You can probably figure out how I know this.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

When taking a lesson in powder with Squatty back in 2008, the first thing he made me do was go with shorter poles.
He made a point that, with deep powder, a longer pole can drag and possibly foul you up.
Every since then I've enjoyed skiing with a bit shorter pole, so there's that.

Other things members mentioned were powder baskets. That's a YES!
Strapless? I like LEKI for that reason. It can break away in a risky situation but stays put so as not to lose it while generally skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1699369352814.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m amazed how much spring corn or glop slalom baskets hold. They get heavy. Anyone doing it with powder baskets?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’m amazed how much spring corn or glop slalom baskets hold. They get heavy. Anyone doing it with powder baskets?

The nice thing about flexible pow baskets like the LEKI above is that buildup flexes off.

Ring designs, of course, just rely on having narrow engagement surfaces so ...angle of repose and all that.

1699369833079.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It has always annoyed me that ski poles usually come with small baskets, yet large baskets are a must for powder and on groomed runs or hard snow large baskets are not an issue. I usually don't ski spring corn snow and never glop so I hadn't considered that.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Yes those are good. Maybe I’ll have to make a dedicated spring pole with those.

On firm stuff large baskets are just annoying and heavy. I can recall exactly 1 year in the east where one really wanted powder baskets. It stayed cold to very cold for many weeks and the just normal snow piled up.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Breakaway straps FTW.. Good for pushing across the flats.. Pop off in a potential crisis..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Yes those are good. Maybe I’ll have to make a dedicated spring pole with those.

I have a pair of 48" Gipron with that style of baskets I picked up in while in Chamonix 30+ years ago in my VT basement.
We'll be up in Dec if you are interested.

Sponsor

Staff online