• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’m amazed how much spring corn or glop slalom baskets hold. They get heavy. Anyone doing it with powder baskets?

There's heavy ...and then there's Sierra cement heavy.

1699391215674.png

#whoneedsmacebells
#deltsofmassivepower

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If you do ski with shorter poles in powder how much shorter are you using?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you do ski with shorter poles in powder how much shorter are you using?
You don't really need to shorten your poles in deep powder, however when CMH did their "you need shorter poles for powder" (but really it was to make sure you were using their poles with no wrist straps), they went from the standard measurement of turning a pole upside down, grasping the pole below the now inverted basket, with the correct size being when your forearm is parallel to the ground, to: grasp the upside down pole above the inverted basket, with the correct size being with forearm parallel to the ground.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Try a pair of these.
Pro tip: smaller end towards the pole grip.

View attachment 215004
Those look like speed baskets.

Here's one from 1977 Kerma DH poles.

kerma dh basket bottom.jpg kerma dh basket.jpg

They were very brittle.

I’m amazed how much spring corn or glop slalom baskets hold. They get heavy. Anyone doing it with powder baskets?
I don't swap to race baskets for spring. A lot of times the snow gets punchy and powder baskets help keep you going on traverses. I use LEKI carbon fiber poles with S-trigger break away straps. The break away feature gets a lot of use in the trees and does what you want it to: save your shoulder.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So - have any of you reworked an ordinary strap into a breakaway with either magnets or Velcro?

I know Scott did no-point discs; did they not also do balls?
It has to be really strong and hold up to downward force, pushing, leaning.. but pop loose pretty easy with upward tugging when the pole gets snagged on something. Kerma had the best system. Goode clips were pretty effective too.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Kerma was a good system and so simple. I had the Goode’s. Meh, could still rip your arm.
The simplest system is to not use your wrist straps in the trees and deep powder. ;)

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
Salomon has a great system with a wedge and two spring loaded balls in the top of the grip. Scott's system is deeply flawed because the loop that holds the strap to the plastic strap wears out from rubbing. It's also a PITA to push back in. LEKI's well known, with a stronger retention than others. I love straps, but after tearing my rotator cuff (in a non strap related accident) I started not using them as much while skiing before I recovered. It's not as nice (your grip is less relaxed), but it's not horrible either.

James

Out There
Instructor
Adjusting pole length turn to turn. By sliding the hand down the pole. Les Batons d’Alain have the largest grip. Also for traversing steep slopes (pentes raides) you can hold the uphill hand way down the pole.

The technique for steeps. Make the turn and have little to no vertical descending energy.

Vivian Bruchez in action around 2009. Doesn’t change his grip so much.
Really worth watching to see part of the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix. Not for the faint of heart.

Someone doing turn after turn-

Last edited:

David

Skier
You don't really need to shorten your poles in deep powder, however when CMH did their "you need shorter poles for powder" (but really it was to make sure you were using their poles with no wrist straps), they went from the standard measurement of turning a pole upside down, grasping the pole below the now inverted basket, with the correct size being when your forearm is parallel to the ground, to: grasp the upside down pole above the inverted basket, with the correct size being with forearm parallel to the ground.
Thats actually longer than what I use now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think I started a pole quiver thread somewhere awhile ago..

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
17010382762972856538295248583450.jpg

Great 5 year old thread. Had to read it. I am 6'1 and all torso. Just chooped 125/50 soft snow poles to 48. Gotta JB my baskets on after losing to BD baskets to trees under snow last year.
17010386054946123380739226040637.jpg

Wondering if I should chop my 125/50 carve groomer/speed lap poles which rarely plant and seem too long? Polling to skate on the Alta rope or long return traverses is the only advantage I get from the length. Maybe they are balance aids on bigger GS/SG turns?

Like the idea off the longer pole and lomger foam grip black crows/batons d'alain/folkrm style, but they might be wonky with all that grip above for mainly resort downhill.

The adjustable are great for walking down steep hikes, but I don't want adjustable for resort or slackcountry.

Anyone going longer for carving and glying fown groomers vs pow poles? Imagine most folks ski one length pole for all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes you did. There are several pole threads on the site. Its okay.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 216586
Great 5 year old thread. Had to read it. I am 6'1 and all torso. Just chooped 125/50 soft snow poles to 48. Gotta JB my baskets on after losing to BD baskets to trees under snow last year.
View attachment 216592
Wondering if I should chop my 125/50 carve groomer/speed lap poles which rarely plant and seem too long? Polling to skate on the Alta rope or long return traverses is the only advantage I get from the length. Maybe they are balance aids on bigger GS/SG turns?

Like the idea off the longer pole and lomger foam grip black crows/batons d'alain/folkrm style, but they might be wonky with all that grip above for mainly resort downhill.

The adjustable are great for walking down steep hikes, but I don't want adjustable for resort or slackcountry.

Anyone going longer for carving and glying fown groomers vs pow poles? Imagine most folks ski one length pole for all.
I am 6' 1" also and I have used both 47" and 48" poles. I find that if I go longer they tend to get me standing up and not bending my knees enough. I have used 46" but I don't ski bumps anymore so no need for anything that short.

David

Skier
I used to use 51" but have shortened 49" the last few years. I only use longer when skinning or bootpacking. I have a pair of adjustable poles and have played with different legths but when shorter I lean forward too much or I ski over the baskets and taller puts me standing too straight.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Groomer specific opinions?

Carving tight radius/higher angle = Shorter poles?
Longer radius turns at higher speed = longer poles are better for balance?

Minimal planting either way. I was trying to ask that in the post up above but it was not clear.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Groomer specific opinions?

Carving tight radius/higher angle = Shorter poles?
Longer radius turns at higher speed = longer poles are better for balance?

Minimal planting either way. I was trying to ask that in the post up above but it was not clear.

Short turns will generally required a more definitive pole plant to stabilize the upper body. If the poles are too long, it will often pull the shoulders back and put the skier in the back seat.

Long turns, pole touch more likely and/or just a movement of the hand. Poles are often used as feelers. So long you can clear the forward swing/move without rolling your hands inward, it should acceptable.

Sponsor

Staff online