• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I own the Mantra M5 and love it, but not for spring slush or heavier crud. It's kinda a fat, versatile gs ski.

The Mindbender 99 is great also, but I and others have noted it is a bit of work, cumulatively, in moguls, relatively speaking. Otherwise, swell.
The Mindbender 108 I have not been on, but that K2 ski buddy has been trying to get the 108 to be non-hooky dependably (in certain powder and crud) partly unsuccessfully - for most of a season, actually (through various different ways of mounting and tuning it, I gather - maybe technique as well?). Guess I won't get on it until he tells me he's worked it out. (He skis the Mindbender 99, 90 and other K2s on a regular basis, no problem.)

The Head Kore 93 I loved. (Perhaps because of my lighter weight, not sure.) Not at all the Kore 99, and not as much the 105 (possibly since I skied it back to back with the Pinnacle 105 and the Faction Prime 3.0 108, another lighter ski, which I thought was a better ski than the Kore 105 in crude especially - at least for me). Nonetheless, the Kore 105 has quite a following.

Gotta try those Faction Dictator 3.0s now.

The Mantra 102 and the improved Quest 106 both seem of interest to me as well.

Last edited:

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
4B5E1276-5EBE-46BE-939B-60DA5103CB20.jpeg
The new FX106 has a traditional tail shape not too disimilar to the MX88 but tu is a much more complaint ski. Your buddies FX105HP is indeed a great ski that has been sent to the clearance racks and there should be some still around. Have you consider the new K2 Mindbender 108Ti?

Phil, thanks for the reply. I have considered the mind bender and will see if I can demo. I think the radius was a bit long which turned me off but I know it’s just a number. But I’ve found I tend to get along with 18-20M radiuses in bounds and in trees.

as for tails, sure looks like the 106 has a tail like my monster 88(rounded a hair) but with a little more rocker. I always found the monster easy and the mx88 harder tail to ski off piste/bumps even though the monster is pretty darn traditional. I’m sure you think I’m crazy bc you find the mx 88 so well behaved. I’m sure it has something to do with my skiing;)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 78789

Phil, thanks for the reply. I have considered the mind bender and will see if I can demo. I think the radius was a bit long which turned me off but I know it’s just a number. But I’ve found I tend to get along with 18-20M radiuses in bounds and in trees.

as for tails, sure looks like the 106 has a tail like my monster 88(rounded a hair) but with a little more rocker. I always found the monster easy and the mx88 harder tail to ski off piste/bumps even though the monster is pretty darn traditional. I’m sure you think I’m crazy bc you find the mx 88 so well behaved. I’m sure it has something to do with my skiing;)

I actually loved both the MX89 (180cm) and the Monster 88's ( the 2016's I have and the newest models as well, in 184cm and 177cm) go figure :huh:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Phil,

I need a new 1oh, for tracked out pow afternoons/following day or 2. The manteaand Kastle fx106 seem like top contenders for me to replace my line 186 cm supernatural 108, love it sometimes, but my least favorite ski in quiver due to long radius in the trees, and tip deflects in Bumps and other times- not due to stiffness but shape imo. Joining a quiver of 177cm monster 88 for firm days and bumps, 186 cm 2012noedica enforcer when I’m feeling strong and brave, and 186cm line influence 115 for pow and spring slush bumps and groomers. I am

I’m 5’10”, 165 lbs, ski it all, a bout 50-60days per season mostly at aspen and highlands. My favorite skis are a bit traditional but never liked the old Kästle mx88 in the bumps, monster no problem, i attribute to tail shape. Any thoughts on which I should try? I did like my buddies bmx105hp in a 181.
I have more or less made up my mind about upgrading to FX106 this year. This is mainly due to lighter weight of FX106, no other issues with BMX 105 HP I have other than they are heavy. So I will be selling my BMX 105 HP in 181 cm. Haven't gotten around to taking the pictures and posting them for sale yet, but I will. They are the 2017 version and probably have 15 or so days on them.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
I actually loved both the MX89 (180cm) and the Monster 88's ( the 2016's I have and the newest models as well, in 184cm and 177cm) go figure :huh:
I haven’t skied the mx89, it was the mx88 that was too much for me except on groomers here I loved them.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
Great forum!! informative, cordial, need some advice folks,
I'm looking to purchase the DPS Alchemist Wailer 100 RP, I know Phil and a group over at Ski Essentials including a couple of guys my size and larger with quite likely better skill sets tested them. They tested the 179 cm length, with no complaints
I prefer quickness in off-piste, Would I be okay with the 179cm? I don't want to overwhelm them. I respect the wisdom and welcome the insight of the members

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome !

We could use some more information first - Age, weight, ability, etc. and by the way your preferred terrain and mountain you call home might help ?!?

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
Thanks
5'11" 215 lbs primarily ski Whistler venture to Utah, JH once a year. ski mainly off piste when open at Whistler VD chutes, Kyber, Million Dollar ridge, MCkonkeys Trees Gun Barrels
If you are familiar with some of these they are fairly tight trees in some spots with pitch. Hence give up a little stability at speed for quickness.
I've been told I am an aspiring expert whatever that means, not a legend in my own mind.
Does 5cm really make a difference in this ski?

Again all insight appreciated

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks
5'11" 215 lbs primarily ski Whistler venture to Utah, JH once a year. ski mainly off piste when open at Whistler VD chutes, Kyber, Million Dollar ridge, MCkonkeys Trees Gun Barrels
If you are familiar with some of these they are fairly tight trees in some spots with pitch. Hence give up a little stability at speed for quickness.
I've been told I am an aspiring expert whatever that means, not a legend in my own mind.

You need the 184, the 179 will not be enough.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Thanks

I'm the same age & height but a bit heavier. I'm looking at the Nordica 104 but I'm between the 186 & 191. If i were you I'd go with the 184 for sure.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Alright...I took the recommendation of @Philpug three years ago (I think) when the Enforcer 100 came out. He had recently skied the black labeled one (tester ski) and said.."boys, stop what you're doing and get this ski." I was just about ready to purchase the then current version of the Bonafide, which I liked a lot.

However, one test drive of the Enforcer and I knew I had to have it. It's been the closest thing to a "one quiver" type ski, but to me was a little more soft snow biased compared to the Blizzard, which was a stronger charger on hard snow. Anyway, I found myself skiing the new Enforcer in most conditions that weren't hard snow but I actually loved them in deep (above 2' feet) powder as well.

So...my question?

What is the current top ski in this range per those out here.

Is the 100 still king? I read the review of the 104, but I think I would probably still prefer the versatility of the 100 and I don't really want to buy more than one ski. What did I like about the Enforcer 100? I love to throw my skis around, for them to be playful and lightning quick/responsive, but also be able to hold a line if I need it. I'm almost 47, but still push it hard...but how much longer :)

If it ain't broken, I'll buy a new Enforcer 100, but if there's one that's a step up, please share!

Thank you!

Update: I did read about the DPS Foundation Wailer 100 RP above and now I'm curious.

David

Skier
I'm going with the 104 but I'm 240 and it will be my soft snow / Rockie Mt ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought and am testing out the Volkl V-Werks Mantra 99/178 to see.

I've liked it on groomers, soft bumps, spring slush and steeps better than the Enforcer 100, but I agree with you pretty much exactly about the Enforcer in powder/crud (incredible, for its width especially) and versus the Bonafide. So I have yet to find out if the V-Werks ski can compare to the Enforcer 100 in powder/crud.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I think I need the Volkl Mantra 102's in 184cm... :daffy:

David

Skier
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 186cm Nordica 104 Free's with Attack 13's. Should be on my wall next week!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Phil, any new info on the Origin 106? Looking to retire my Goats and not sure if I go Origin 106 or J Ski Metal?

Origin 106 have had it’s rocker reduced in 2020 to improve it’s hard snow performance as that was a huge weakness but it’s still a fairly light ski with softer flex so still doesn’t have the heavier weight of The Metal for crud busting etc.

Origin 106 is a super fun, easy to pivot ski geared towards soft snow that’s going to be lighter on its feet than the Metal. The Metal going to feel more substantial with it’s heavier weight over rough condition and better on piste.

Armada ARV 106 would be another ski similar to the Origin 106 and skis like the ON3P Jeffrey 108 would as well but the Jeffrey adds more weight to it’s similar flex to aid stability.

The Metal is more similar to skis like the Enforcer 110 or 104 in that it’s easy to ski with it’s forgiving flex but it’s higher weight helps stabilize it over rough terrain or at higher speeds and they aren’t as playful.

Jeffrey 108(renamed Kartel 108) especially with the mount back a touch would have a similar feel to the BG in a narrower ski in this class along with the new ON3P Woodsman 108.

Sponsor

Staff online