• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That sounds like a decent review; there are a lot of "stiff" skis these days in/ around the 100mm range.....head kore's, fischer (various) etc, but they're all very light (under 2000gr) so I am curious about the amount of deflection in these, compared to something beefier like the mantra 102, blizzard bonafide etc. I guess you can't have everything....Fischer has a 99Ti but even with that sheet of titianium they come in at 1950gr.
Thats what I like about this ski was it's heft along with the K2 Mindbender 99Ti, that is no weight weinie either.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Mantra 102 weighs around 2230g vs the M5 at 2130g for the 184cm lengths, so not too bad and similar to the Enforcer 100 or 104 which are in the 2200-2260g range in the 185/186cm sizes. The Mindbender 99Ti is the one in the 2330g range in the 184cm size but it doesn’t ski heavy.

Mantra 102 similar stiffness to the M5 I hear and I wouldn’t say the M5 are super demanding in the proper size. Mindbender 99Ti is softer up front but similar stiffness elsewhere. Enforcers are a little softer throughout but charge crud very well with their weight.

@604Sean
I’d replace the Kore 99 with the Enforcer 100 and add the Mindbender 99Ti as both would be perfect for your needs and may be a touch more forgiving than the Volkl skis. Try all of course to see what you like.
Not a fan of the Kores myself as they are too light for crud and have no pop or life to them. The Kore 99 is the most dead and boring of the entire Kore line I found.

604Sean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Mantra 102 weighs around 2230g vs the M5 at 2130g for the 184cm lengths, so not too bad and similar to the Enforcer 100 or 104 which are in the 2200-2260g range in the 185/186cm sizes. The Mindbender 99Ti is the one in the 2330g range in the 184cm size but it doesn’t ski heavy.

Mantra 102 similar stiffness to the M5 I hear and I wouldn’t say the M5 are super demanding in the proper size. Mindbender 99Ti is softer up front but similar stiffness elsewhere. Enforcers are a little softer throughout but charge crud very well with their weight.

@604Sean
I’d replace the Kore 99 with the Enforcer 100 and add the Mindbender 99Ti as both would be perfect for your needs and may be a touch more forgiving than the Volkl skis. Try all of course to see what you like.
Not a fan of the Kores myself as they are too light for crud and have no pop or life to them. The Kore 99 is the most dead and boring of the entire Kore line I found.

The Fischer 99Ti's look intersting, nice weight, but they too have one of those odd ski cores like head. I'd like to give the Volkl's a try.....either the M5 or the 102; my next ski up is a 108 and then I have some 117 pow skis. I just need something not super thick, but will pound through the slop at Whistler where I tend to stay off the groomers.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Fischer 99Ti's look intersting, nice weight, but they too have one of those odd ski cores like head. I'd like to give the Volkl's a try.....either the M5 or the 102; my next ski up is a 108 and then I have some 117 pow skis. I just need something not super thick, but will pound through the slop at Whistler where I tend to stay off the groomers.

What width are the next ones down currently from the 108? What skis are the 108 and 117?

Mindbenders, M5/102 and Enforcers should be good for your needs by the sounds of it. All fantastic skis. I have the Enforcer 93 and 104 Free and both are great. Enforcer 100 might be the right one for your conditions without too much overlap from your wider skis.

604Sean

Skier
What width are the next ones down currently from the 108? What skis are the 108 and 117?

Mindbenders, M5/102 and Enforcers should be good for your needs by the sounds of it. All fantastic skis. I have the Enforcer 93 and 104 Free and both are great. Enforcer 100 might be the right one for your conditions without too much overlap from your wider skis.

The 108's are Faction 3.0; they're great in the powder and dryer snow, but the moisture laden chop they get bounced around in; they're stiff, but light. The 117's are brand new (gotem last month) - Moment Wildcat. Haven't skiied it yet, but looking forward to it for those snow-days (30, 40, 50cm in December).

So thiis 100 ish ski would be for those snowed out days with variable snow, but on nothing fresh....need something that won't get bounced around, don't need it as wide in skied out areas, good edge grip and not a lightweight ski, but not a beast (need it for quicker turns on the steeps), but something with a little float.....sounds picky, I know:) At least we have the choice these days; I can remember skiing on a pair of 1982 Rossignol FP comp's in full powder

604Sean

Skier

The 108's are Faction 3.0; they're great in the powder and dryer snow, but the moisture laden chop they get bounced around in; they're stiff, but light. The 117's are brand new (gotem last month) - Moment Wildcat. Haven't skiied it yet, but looking forward to it for those snow-days (30, 40, 50cm in December).

So thiis 100 ish ski would be for those snowed out days with variable snow, but on nothing fresh....need something that won't get bounced around, don't need it as wide in skied out areas, good edge grip and not a lightweight ski, but not a beast (need it for quicker turns on the steeps), but something with a little float.....sounds picky, I know:) At least we have the choice these days; I can remember skiing on a pair of 1982 Rossignol FP comp's in full powder so its nice to have these choices:)

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Try the vwerks katana 112. Great pretty much everyone.

It's my bc ski, but i does it in the resort for two months, and it's a charger, even though it's 1800 grams. Powers thru cut up powder. Light or heavy.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

So thiis 100 ish ski would be for those snowed out days with variable snow, but on nothing fresh....need something that won't get bounced around, don't need it as wide in skied out areas, good edge grip and not a lightweight ski, but not a beast (need it for quicker turns on the steeps), but something with a little float.....sounds picky, I know:) At least we have the choice these days; I can remember skiing on a pair of 1982 Rossignol FP comp's in full powder

Was thinking they might be 3.0 at the 108 width. I guess next year the 3.0 will be 112mm underfoot and flex more similar to the 5.0 so a little more playful but maybe a bit heavier too. A few freestyle type skiers have liked the new 112 3.0 when they tried them out on demo days this Spring.

You will LOVE!!!!!!! the new Wildcats! Best powder ski made period! Float very well, kill it in crud, stable at 60mph yet turn on a dime in tight spaces yet weigh around 2000g in the 184cm but charge like a 2250g ski. Btw, they are 116mm in the 184cm and 118 in the 190cm.

The enforcers will all do what you’re asking-forgiving to ski yet can charge crud very well. Can run them with a 1/3 edge tip to tail so grip is great on harder snow yet their tail rocker makes them easy to pivot in tighter spaces. 100 and 104 a little more forgiving in flex compared to the slightly stiffer tailed 93.

Was thinking the other day, if price aren’t an issue the Wildcat 108 in 190cm is perfect ski for the OP for tight trees yet playful when needed. Like the Wildcat 116/118 they have been getting RAVE reviews from everyone that tries them this Spring. Once Blister tests them and compares to other skis in that width, I’m sure they will become the reference standard in that width like the wider Wildcat is.

Even though I have the Enforcer 104, I’m still pondering adding the Wildcat 108 to the quiver just because I know it will be different enough in feel. The Enforcer 104 will be better on harder snow and more of a carver, the Wildcat will be even more fun and playful, easy to swing around in the air and pivot even better than the Enforcer 104. The Enforcer more useable in the East but out West in softer snow and trees, the Wildcat would be more fun. Beefy bases and edges on the Wildcat would be safer over hidden rocks out West too.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
When comparing the Alchemist with the value-priced Foundation, you will find a noticeable difference in feel on the snow.

I'm curious about performance differences between DPS Wailer 100 Foundation versus Alchemist since it looks like you skied both? Considering this ski as East Coast tree, bump, and off trail exploration stick but still somewhat capable for groomers and higher speeds. I don't care so much about weight savings of Alchemist but also concerned the Foundation build is less stiff (and less capable with high speed carves). Decisions, decisions, and want to move before the DPS sale ends on 8/1! Thanks.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm curious about performance differences between DPS Wailer 100 Foundation versus Alchemist since it looks like you skied both? Considering this ski as East Coast tree, bump, and off trail exploration stick but still somewhat capable for groomers and higher speeds. I don't care so much about weight savings of Alchemist but also concerned the Foundation build is less stiff (and less capable with high speed carves). Decisions, decisions, and want to move before the DPS sale ends on 8/1! Thanks.
If you were concerned about weight - https://www.dpsskis.com/powderworks-wailer-100-rp-tour-bundle

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm concerned with the Alchemist being too light so don't want to go further in that direction (or re-live foam cores)!
I skied these and other same model DPS A and F skis back to back last year. A.s not too light, at least for a lighter weight guy. Loved the Alchemists - very dialed in, so-so on the Foundations in each case. I noticed two things across the models: the Foundations skied with the same turn shape and approximate feel as the Alchemists, except with a feeling of slight delay, and just less. The Alchemists were more fun and better - livelier, just as stable in uneven and chop, more responsive and faster from edge to edge (partly less swing weight, partly more dialed in). But the turn shape and approximate feel were the same. Price is the big difference in favor of the Foundations. I can't think of a situation, terrain or condition where I'd prefer the Foundations otherwise.

That said, to me the top carbon skis are - so far, for me - still the V-Werks, the new V-Werks Mantra 99 and the old stand by Katana 112, though I wouldn't sneeze at the DPS A Wailer 106, the Faction Prime 2.0 & 3.0, or the Head Kore 93, my other such favorites so far. I'm also looking forward to trying out some of the great new 10X skis @Philpug reviewed here, the ones I haven't gotten to yet mostly (and lengths I haven't yet tried).

Really, what a great bunch of skis reviewed. Thanks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Foundation collection is a tad damper than the Alchemist.
Is that what you're looking for?

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Foundation collection is a tad damper than the Alchemist.
Is that what you're looking for?
Thanks Tricia and Ski Otter for responses. I am open minded when it comes to ski design and living in Utah for 10+ years opened my eyes to a Vermont/East ski not needing to be under 80 mm waisted and non-rockered. That said my New England roots also make me appreciate a design that can do okay to good on the hardpack and pull a tight to medium carve like my Head Rebel FIS SL ski (maybe not that good but you get the point). For example, I loved how the current Bonafide skis on most of the mountain but do not like in the tight trees, bumps, and variable of a place like Mad River Glen. And, I like the first generation Soul 7 for typical Mad River Glen conditions but hated the low speed limit and hardpack performance. I've been digging the Rustler 9 and that was what I skied most days last season. So, I like idea of damp ski but not at the cost of maneuverability and fun factor. DPS Wailer 100 (and 106) got my interest as a good one to try but plunking down $1100 for Alchemist goes against my cheapskate tendencies! The Alchemist seems like it checks more of the boxes but makes for a more risky experiment given the high cost.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Tricia and Ski Otter for responses. I am open minded when it comes to ski design and living in Utah for 10+ years opened my eyes to a Vermont/East ski not needing to be under 80 mm waisted and non-rockered. That said my New England roots also make me appreciate a design that can do okay to good on the hardpack and pull a tight to medium carve like my Head Rebel FIS SL ski (maybe not that good but you get the point). For example, I loved how the current Bonafide skis on most of the mountain but do not like in the tight trees, bumps, and variable of a place like Mad River Glen. And, I like the first generation Soul 7 for typical Mad River Glen conditions but hated the low speed limit and hardpack performance. I've been digging the Rustler 9 and that was what I skied most days last season. So, I like idea of damp ski but not at the cost of maneuverability and fun factor. DPS Wailer 100 (and 106) got my interest as a good one to try but plunking down $1100 for Alchemist goes against my cheapskate tendencies! The Alchemist seems like it checks more of the boxes but makes for a more risky experiment given the high cost.
I don't think the damping of the Foundation comprises the maneuverability at all it is a fun ski. The all new 100 is a great fun manuvarable ski in both Foundation and Alchemist.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm concerned with the Alchemist being too light so don't want to go further in that direction (or re-live foam cores)!
I listened to a podcast, about how DPS had got a sample batch of a structural aerospace foam used in the manufacture of attack helicopter blades which has incredible properties but found it much too cost-prohibitive to incorporate in the ski line. They've now come up with (sourced?), a foam which is closer to it that they are using in the Powderworks™ Tour collection. They claim the skis are incredibly engaging without the carbon'ie feel, more planted like a much heavier ski. 300grams lighter then and blows the Alchemist out of the water.

@Truberski, They acknowledge Foams bad reputation and how crappy past cheap PU Foam skis were.

@Philpug or others, this question may be premature but have you had a chance to demo the Powderworks Wailer 100 RP Tour and if so can you compare it to the Wailer 100 Alchemist as a 50/50 ski and also the Foundation in terms of on-piste performance?

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since this thread has taken a noticeable turn to the DPS line, has anyone been on their C2 chassis and care to chime in ?
Seems to have more of a traditional tip and tail and a lack of paddle tech - call me intrigued.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since this thread has taken a noticeable turn to the DPS line, has anyone been on their C2 chassis and care to chime in ?
Seems to have more of a traditional tip and tail and a lack of paddle tech - call me intrigued.

Similar curiosity here. I've read a few places that suggest C2 is more in line with conventional rocker/taper designs but "more" than the likes of Bonafide, Enforcer, etc. It also looks like DPS adjusts C2 and RP proportionately based on waist width so that also puts a curveball into the discussion. It likely will be a coin flip for me on which one to commit to (Wailer 106 C2 and Wailer 100 RP are candidates but some Lotus 124s would be a hoot on the handful of true pow days we get in VT each season).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, the C2 (e.g. Wailer A 106) versions feel race ski like, in a good way, while the other line (e.g. A 112?) feels playful in a good way (Sean Pettit turns), to me (if tossed a bit in uneven crud). I'm not sure if in the video on Blister, DPS was referring to the 106 getting more dialed in for this year, or if it was for last year or the year before too, but when I tried it last I liked it - not sure if enough to get it myself (over the ex K2 Pinnacle 105 or even the Faction C.T. 3.0 108).

I'd love to try the 124s, but the problem I already have with fatter skis is they start to feel like banana boats anymore, pretty often - once the resort chop/crud increases after a few runs. And that's just the fat ones I have, not the ones that banana boat float a bit in chop and deep crud, like I'm told the 124s inevitably do a bit at resorts, as opposed to in heli skiing. "Deep chop"/crud is not their forte. I figure for me they'd be the best powder ski out there, but I get powder for four or five runs if I'm lucky - then it's chop and crud. And at areas I have access to, the trees in the best places become banked toboggan or skier cross runs so quickly.

Guess I'll have to try the Dictator 3.0 and live it up.....

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
How does FX106 HP feel as compared to BMX105 HP? FX106 HP is lighter, but still quite damp? I love my BMX105 HP, but really intrigues by the new carbon only FX106 HP.

Sponsor

Staff online