• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Skier "Dos". Or You Might Be a Ski Snob If..

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You might be a ski snob if:
Your skis and bindings are among the most expensive (MSRP) regular production skis, but you can only afford an economy car.
When the highways are closed by the police, you search google maps for a back way to the ski hill you plan on skiing at.
Your snow tires cost more than some folk's cars.
Your ski boots (including customizing etc.) cost more than some folks cars.
Your skis and bindings ride in the car with you instead of exposed on a ski rack.
You are usually let down by the weather forecast predicting more snow than you actually get.
You have more skis than shoes.
When you ask level 1 or level 2 ski instructors for help on something that in your opinion you suck at, they tell you (and demonstrate) that you are doing it better than they can.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When opensnow and PugSki are the first things that come up on your home screen.

When you know the best things your favorite ski area kitchens make from scratch: ski Santa Fe breakfast burritos, Monarch soups, and Wolf Creek quiches and cherry pies. And I've heard about but not tasted the ABasin mac and cheese. Steamboat has expensive but shareable salmon bowls that are very good too.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

When you know the best things your favorite ski area kitchens make from scratch: ski Santa Fe breakfast burritos, Monarch soups, and Wolf Creek quiches and cherry pies. And I've heard about but not tasted the ABasin mac and cheese. Steamboat has expensive but shareable salmon bowls that are very good too.

A salmon bowl?...lol.....Jesus, I’m just happy when I have some Smuckers Strawberry for my Jif peanut butter...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you have had a home made Wolf Creek cherry pie it's tough to settle. When my DH wasn't skiing and I went up solo I had to bring pie back home. But PB&J is a very respectable ski lunch too. Especially as it is still good when squished.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The doctor, the dentist, etc. all know to only bring up skiing as a topic.
You call the tire place, which you go to 0-2 times a year (sometimes I have the dealer swap my tires) and they ask if Monday's okay and you say how about the afternoon and they say if you want to go skiing first, that's perfect. Stunned. This guy is not a Chatty Cathy. I must have showed up in ski clothes a few times.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You call the tire place, which you go to 0-2 times a year (sometimes I have the dealer swap my tires) and they ask if Monday's okay and you say how about the afternoon and they say if you want to go skiing first, that's perfect. Stunned. This guy is not a Chatty Cathy. I must have showed up in ski clothes a few times.
It's the studs that give it away..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I do a few things that the average rec skier might not do.
1. Start putting my feet in my ski boots and keep them on for an hour or so in late August.
2. Keep a drill/screw gun in my truck at all times and of course a PZ3 bit with an assortment of binding screws.
3. Keep a sweatshirt and blanket in the truck all the time.
4. Just waxing my own skis the average rec skier doesn't do.
5. Owning a ski vice might be a dead giveaway that I am a ski geek.
6. Owning both straight and shape skis tells the world you are more than a rec skier.
7. Knowing the names of several World Cup skiers when it is not an Olympic year proves your a ski geek.
8. When you get the phone call when anyone you know wants to purchase skis including a friend on Facebook that you have not seen in years.

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Lessons. My mom spent quite a bit of money recently on teaching my little sister (6) to ski safely on a beginner slope. She discovered that ski lessons can cost a lot after making inquiries at several ski resorts about instructors for beginner children. She was shocked.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought the long bed on my latest pickup truck specifically so that the skis would fit straight in and not have to be in a pile diagonally. It also has a fairly expensive aluminum tonneau so that the ski equipment is secure. The new bed is 11" longer than the last one.
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I bought the long bed on my latest pickup truck specifically so that the skis would fit straight in and not have to be in a pile diagonally. It also has a fairly expensive aluminum tonneau so that the ski equipment is secure. The new bed is 11" longer than the last one.
View attachment 87187 View attachment 87188
Looks great and good luck with your new toy.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Man, the green chile mac and cheese at Snowmass (Gwen's) was about the best thing I ever ate.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you'd rather be in front of the plow truck than behind it... driving a $40K+ AWD vehicle with $2K tires... pfft, don't need no plowed roads, get out of my way!

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

Santa Fe green chili stew is better than their burritos IMHO.... twisters, golden pride, and Blake’s burritos are better too :) *runs away quickly*

Sponsor

Staff online