• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Skier "Dos". Or You Might Be a Ski Snob If..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK ski bum thread got me thinking about the stuff us folks with a day job do as lifers that regular recreational skiers don't.. especially when it comes to spending money.. Beyond the obvious of massive quivers and paying a thousand dollars for boots and boot work for 150 days of more comfortable, high performance skiing what are some other things we're really nerds about?

I replace my tires almost twice as often as everyone else in town, usually right before ski season, way before they are down to the wear bars. Not quite as nerdy as dedicated snows, but I'd totally be there if I spend more than about 10 hours a season driving in actual winter conditions,

I don't go anywhere without spare gloves and spare socks... boot bag stays in car all winter.

My washer and dryer double as a tuning bench.

Most of my favorite winter holiday movies involve skiing scenes.

I'm the guy all my friends and family call to help out with grocery trips and jump starts on those rare events when we do get snow in Central NC.

I have at least 6 plastic sleds and disks in the shed to throw out in the yard for all the neighborhood kids to share on those snow days.. I know, @Dave Petersen says "hold my beer" LOL!

What are things you go over the top on when it comes to ski related spending and planning?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely need to keep a fold up shovel in your trunk. I was going to buy new summer tires but then sort of but not really switched jobs so just left on the snows to save the few hundred, and the steel rims look cool. Ski racks stay on all summer because they're good for surfcasting rods if we take the car to the beach.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does the fact that I usually take a week-long ski trip three times a year count?
You beat me to it!

When buying a new car, you determine whether your longest skis fit along your gear and your wife's.
When buying a new SUV, you get the one with sitting for at least 6 people and the largest cargo capacity in its class.
You buy a condo at your favorite mountain.
Your friends know not to mention skiing around you unless they enjoy it themselves.
Every car trip, even in summer, makes you think of your last ski trip.
You've learned all your favorite microbrews at home and near your mountain.
When cooking something good on the weekend, you make a double batch so you can freeze some and take it on your next ski trip.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When buying a new car, you determine whether your longest skis fit along your gear and your wife's.

I took a tape measure with me to the dealerships when it came time for me to replace my X5 version 1.0 to be sure the ski bag would fit straight in... Seemed like taking the actual ski bag was overkill.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I took a tape measure with me when to the dealerships when it came time for me to replace my X5 version 1.0 to be sure the ski bag would fit straight in... Seemed like taking the actual ski bag was overkill.
200 cm. Not that my skis are THAT long, but the bag is and this gives me wiggle room.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Have a scratchpad on the desk that is basically time dist calculations for the next trip as well as the "several" possible variations and accommodation options for the trip
Puts more effort in the analysis of several weather apps/sites then studying a retirement plan and in the end crosses fingers/invokes Ullr hoping for the best (actually a lot like financial planning)
Pocket food(bacon being the gold std IMO) no other sport/activity goes that nerdy

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I took a tape measure with me to the dealerships when it came time for me to replace my X5 version 1.0 to be sure the ski bag would fit straight in... Seemed like taking the actual ski bag was overkill.

I took my SportTube, adjusted 2 notches longer just for margin!
I think you get demerits for thinking anything ski related could be overkill.

Edit: I did clean the case before heading out to the dealerships. I'm not THAT inconsiderate.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You beat me to it!

When buying a new SUV, you get the one with sitting for at least 6 people and the largest cargo capacity in its class.
You buy a condo at your favorite mountain.
Your friends know not to mention skiing around you unless they enjoy it themselves.
Every car trip, even in summer, makes you think of your last ski trip.
You've learned all your favorite microbrews at home and near your mountain.
When cooking something good on the weekend, you make a double batch so you can freeze some and take it on your next ski trip.

I picked out my Forester because it was the only one in stock at the Subie dealer that had factory crossbars which fit my ancient Thule box without aftermarket crossbars needing to be added.. And, main reason to keep the old box was all the stickers from every place I've visited this century..

Color? Trim package? Model? Not important,,, My ski box fits? I'll take THAT one hahaha!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do I spend too much on this "recreation"?

Buying 2 season passes, one here at home and one for the road so I can ski non-stop Thankgiving to Late April.

Buying skis to stay out west at my sons so I don't have to fly with them Keep a jacket, pants socks there too.

Keep a locker in the pricey locker room at the local ski area, even though 1/2 the time I take the skis back home to head up to Northern New England on the drop of a hat.

And finally, now that the wife and I are empty nesters, when booking hotels for New England weekend we look for and go for the expensive ones with the Hot Tub.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How do I spend too much on this "recreation"?

Buying 2 season passes, one here at home and one for the road so I can ski non-stop Thankgiving to Late April.

Buying skis to stay out west at my sons so I don't have to fly with them Keep a jacket, pants socks there too.

Keep a locker in the pricey locker room at the local ski area, even though 1/2 the time I take the skis back home to head up to Northern New England on the drop of a hat.

And finally, now that the wife and I are empty nesters, when booking hotels for New England weekend we look for and go for the expensive ones with the Hot Tub.

Wait, you have a locker at the local ski hill but don't have a quiver with enough overlap to leave the local hill gear there and other gear to take up north??:huh:

SLACKER!!! Take a lap!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took my SportTube, adjusted 2 notches longer just for margin!
I think you get demerits for thinking anything ski related could be overkill.

Edit: I did clean the case before heading out to the dealerships. I'm not THAT inconsiderate.

I took my actual skis to the car dealer.
It is a tight fit -- they have to go in diagonally.
I don't use a bag for driving trips. I figure the bag can go over the seats for the ride to the airport.

... when sitting in the balcony in a theater, you visualize skiing down the stairs in the aisle and wonder how much snow there would have to be on the main floor to survive the landing

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an expert at cooking in a crock pot which is packed for all road trips.

I travel with a coffee maker and a crockpot and can make anything we need for dinner in an average motel room.

I have 8 different ski jackets, and 6 pairs of ski pants which all mix and match and all get worn regularly.

Other than the motorcycle, we only buy 4WD vehicles and serious all terrain tires.

We plan ski vacations in July.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
This reminds me of when I was buying my first car and was doing a lot of climbing, went into the dealership (in NE Philly), and insisted on laying down in the folded down back of the hatchback to make sure I could comfortable sleep in there. The salesman thought I was nutso.