• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Skier "Dos". Or You Might Be a Ski Snob If..

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'm not one to spend money lightly; skinflint would be a good description. But I do have a ski cabin that has no electricity or running water. Yep, outhouse time. Once it's warm it is a jolly place 20 minutes from the slopes. It gives me another place to ski besides my main hill and is a lot of fun, as well as cheap. There's power right across the street, but I'm not having any of it. I'd be spending money for nothing. I want to ski, and the ski area lodges have very nice facilities. The rest is just extra.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
SLACKER!!! Take a lap!

Deserved , but true. Like my skis,like I like my women, one at a time and separated by 2000 miles. (just kidding about the 2nd part, 1 woman man)

Really like my RTM's (84) for the east and K2's (106) for the west. While I try to get 40-50 days a season, I'm still not in a position to pick and choose days that I ski even with a home hill 45 mins away. I can't chase storms so therefore don't feel that an arsenal of skis is necessary for me. That said the locker in question is also used by my wife and other family members, is not that big and is pretty stuffed. The use of the room to boot up, change for après ski etc; is more important then the locker itself, but it don't come cheap.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I own skis that are considered “indie” brands.
I am familiar with new ski equipment before they appear in the gear guide edition of Ski.
I have a heated boot bag.
I’m picky about footbeds.
I have a ski rack system to properly store my skis.
I have more than one ski pass.
I know the average annual snowfall not only for my local resort, but for most resorts in a given region, or for that matter for the entire continent. And a couple others.
I can tell you the difference in snow quality between different regions/resorts.
I can name resorts in British Columbia that are not named Whistler or Blackcomb.
I plan ski trips that avoid popular destinations at peak times of the year.
I create detailed spreadsheets (date, location, activity, travel, accommodations) with plan B and plan C variables for each phase of the ski trip.
I have enough experience to evaluate whether each step makes sense and is “doable” without killing the plan for the day after that.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not one to spend money lightly; skinflint would be a good description. But I do have a ski cabin that has no electricity or running water. Yep, outhouse time. Once it's warm it is a jolly place 20 minutes from the slopes. It gives me another place to ski besides my main hill and is a lot of fun, as well as cheap. There's power right across the street, but I'm not having any of it. I'd be spending money for nothing. I want to ski, and the ski area lodges have very nice facilities. The rest is just extra.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Hmmmm.......not sure if he’s the winner of the Ski Snob award, or the Ski anti-Snob award.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Gave up my day job to move to a ski town.
The only bench where work gets done in the work shop is the tuning bench.
Also brought my skis to the car dealer.
Also have a locker so that the effort investment of seeing what it's like on an iffy day is minimal.
Almost always have ski books and tuning equipment on my Christmas wish list.
Am on Pugski YEAR-ROUND. And can look back to ski forum participation to the mid-90's.
The doctor, the dentist, etc. all know to only bring up skiing as a topic.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
my former doctor once wrote me a prescription for a new pair of skis.
best doctor I've ever had.

One of the Emergency Room doctors at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops is an avid skier and long time friend. One time on the 22 minute long Burfield chair ride at Sun Peaks, I had a billable medical consultation including giving the doctor my medical B.C. Care Card number.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the Emergency Room doctors at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops is an avid skier and long time friend. One time on the 22 minute long Burfield chair ride at Sun Peaks, I had a billable medical consultation including giving the doctor my medical B.C. Care Card number.
Hmmm......wonder if I could do therapy sessions on the Burf. Since there’s hardly anyone there, and the chairs on the lift are spaced so far apart, it would be pretty confidential.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January