• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Skier "Dos". Or You Might Be a Ski Snob If..

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm......wonder if I could do therapy sessions on the Burf. Since there’s hardly anyone there, and the chairs on the lift are spaced so far apart, it would be pretty confidential.
Why not? You could probably even list it as an AirBnb experience. You know - stress relief sessions.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I plant, grow & harvest my garden to meal prep & freeze for the ski house.... spanakopita, veggie quiche, marinara sauce, lasagna, chicken pot pie, soups, chili, etc. Nothing better than a home cooked meal on a frigid ski day that is a easy defrost & heat in the oven. That said its usually 95 degrees & oppressively muggy when prep occurs

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not? You could probably even list it as an AirBnb experience. You know - stress relief sessions.
Or, since my practice management software includes secure telehealth video appts, and has a mobile app, I could provide 22 minute sessions on the chairlift without clients needing to be there.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
One of the Emergency Room doctors at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops is an avid skier and long time friend. One time on the 22 minute long Burfield chair ride at Sun Peaks, I had a billable medical consultation including giving the doctor my medical B.C. Care Card number.
Off-topic, but...
Many years ago, I broke my collarbone on a group demo ski trip that was popular with the medical community in Fort Collins, Colorado. The ski area had a full clinic, so I had x-rays of the break for the bus ride home. The doctors happily passed my x-rays around and looked at them by holding the x-rays up to the TV monitors on the bus. Unfortunately, both orthopedists on the trip were on the other bus. Some of the recommendations made by doctors in unrelated specialties were surprisingly off-base! :eek:

When we got back to the parking lot in Fort Collins, one of the orthopedists looked at the x-rays in the headlights of my truck. I called his office the next day to arrange follow-up. Nobody attempted to charge for the field x-ray review.

On second thought, maybe it is on-topic. You might be a ski snob if you get an impromptu medical consultation in the bus on the way back from a ski trip.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm......wonder if I could do therapy sessions on the Burf.

It's not a therapy session all by itself? Even without you along? Based on the number of times Dano mentions that ride, I'm thinking there must be something there.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One time while skiing with the emergency room doctor that I mentioned in post #39, I came across another friend who had crashed and was now sitting on the side of the run, pale in the face and one shoulder slumped below the other indicating a separated shoulder. So I said to my friend, "you may find this hard to believe but today is your lucky day because in less than 30 seconds Dr. Ed will arrive".

When Dr. Ed arrived, he took off his skis and then after checking out the shoulder he grabbed his new patient's hand, put this foot in the patient's arm pit and then popped the shoulder back in place. Dr Ed has no doubt reduced 100s of separated shoulders but I bet that was the first time that he did it wearing his ski boots.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you're getting paid by your six figure day job while actually skiing, or even skiing but taking a few breaks at the lodge to answer a few calls without even having to dock yourself PTO... You're definitely a ski snob..

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not a therapy session all by itself? Even without you along?
Yes, but I can bill for it if I’m there.

Based on the number of times Dano mentions that ride, I'm thinking there must be something there.
Burfield is a long lift, 2900” vertical, fixed grip quad. The motor and gearing were intended for another, shorter lift than they decided to make an express quad, and since they had the parts around they chose to use it on the Burfield when it needed an upgrade. This results in running it slower due to greater loads of having a long lift, and the chairs are also spaced out more, so that it’s a full minute between each chair when loading. So yes, it can be peaceful and serene, a nice way to slow down and reflect on life, the universe and everything.

Dano (and other locals) likes this, as it naturally limits the number of people who can track out the powder when it’s there, and since most people who visit don’t want to sit on a lift for 22 minutes, they don’t tend to lap the terrain pod, leaving the snow better preserved. Sun Peaks has 3 HSQ’s including a bubble lift, and two other fixed grip chairs that are much shorter.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Thread drift over/

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I lived in the midwest about a month before my planned ski trip I'd start wearing my ski boots around the house to get my feet and ankles used to wearing my boots. Since I moved to CO and my boots fit like gloves, I don't have to do it anymore.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh. monopolizing at least one or more of the scarce lodge public area electrical outlets with crock pots all day is definitely an "Old Skier Do"! Right up there with lodge mom setting up shanty town with several friends and family boot bags across at least two tables with 6 chairs covered all day. I used to be opposed to that practice when I was young and foolish but now 100% approve now that I have a non skiing wife who likes to sit in the lodge and read all day.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a bunch of recipes. If you want some, just PM me.
We've got our Thanksgiving ham covered in brown sugarin a crock pot right now. Gonna fire it up before going to sleep.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've got our Thanksgiving ham covered in brown sugarin a crock pot right now. Gonna fire it up before going to sleep.
Yum. When I have a big crew for Thanksgiving, that's what I do also. We are just 10 this year so just turkey, but I will make the yummiest "roast" veggies in the crockpot.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think carrying 3 season passes automatically qualifies, but the surest sign of my skiing insanity is...
the spreadsheet I have maintained for almost 20 years now. I track almost everything across all of the my equipment (including my clothing choices for different weather). I measure and calculate numerous ski characteristics including actual chord length vs. base length, calculated sidecut vs. published, tip cut and tail cut, overall taper, effective edge, running length (CRS), and surface area. For my boots I track the setups for numerous pairs of boots; including the weight of the entire boot, shell, liner, and bootboards. I measure the forward lean, canting angles, net ramp, bootboard ramp, height of the bootboards at the heel and toe, and finally the height of the heel and toe lugs. Then there's the measurements and calculations of binding delta and binding mount positions of all of the skis I have owned over the years.

Oh, and I have a database of the specs for thousands of skis I've updated for over 20 years.

I also track all my ski days; including total vertical, # of runs, daily conditions, and avg/max speed. :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think carrying 3 season passes automatically qualifies, but the surest sign of my skiing insanity is...
the spreadsheet I have maintained for almost 20 years now. I track almost everything across all of the my equipment (including my clothing choices for different weather). I measure and calculate numerous ski characteristics including actual chord length vs. base length, calculated sidecut vs. published, tip cut and tail cut, overall taper, effective edge, running length (CRS), and surface area. For my boots I track the setups for numerous pairs of boots; including the weight of the entire boot, shell, liner, and bootboards. I measure the forward lean, canting angles, net ramp, bootboard ramp, height of the bootboards at the heel and toe, and finally the height of the heel and toe lugs. Then there's the measurements and calculations of binding delta and binding mount positions of all of the skis I have owned over the years.

Oh, and I have a database of the specs for thousands of skis I've updated for over 20 years.

I also track all my ski days; including total vertical, # of runs, daily conditions, and avg/max speed. :)
I think @Sibhusky and yourself could write a book.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

i think there could be a diagnosis for this type of organization.. obsessive compulsive?;)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, inadvertently, it's become information for the inevitable question I get, "When's the best time to come?" Or, "How is it the third week of January?"

I track vertical, runs, which skis I used, notes about who I skied with or the weather or the crowds, when I tuned a pair of skis, what wax I used each tuning (along with which steps I omitted or took), along with a picture of the day. I also record season snow totals and depth, along with pass and ticket prices. I only started to compare mileage against a co-worker, but it's grown over the years. Personally, I mostly rely on it for equipment usage and fitness tracking, but others like the other stuff I've kept track of over the years.

Sponsor

Staff online